Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:36:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on a MSI GE76 Raider.  (Read 115 times)
RayBarK (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2022, 07:10:40 AM

So from what I've seen, the GE76 Raider is one of the most powerful models of laptop there is out today.
I'm aware that the money could have gone somewhere more effective, but I'm wondering:
It comes with an integrated 3080 Laptop GPU and i9. First question: I've underclocked it to 149W and have a hashrate of 51,9MH/s on Ethereum, this is due to the fact that the cooler is not sufficient to cool it overclocked (without coolerboost), or even at a +0Mhz core and memory clock. Well, I lie, the coolerboost that gets her from 76C (only GPU mining) to 63/64C; however, this is not sustainable in the long term due to me being scared for the fan health. I've seen the GPU clocked to over 63Mh/s on youtube, as shit of a source that youtube is. Second question, when I mine on the cpu temperatures rise quickly, is it worth running the laptop on coolerboost 24/7, not, or after putting lube on the fans, just to mine on the cpu too?
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
March 03, 2022, 11:46:40 AM

Firstly this is the wrong section. You want “Mining-Altcoins” secondly its a very bad idea to mine on a laptop. They aren’t designed for it at all. You will shorten the lifespan of it and degrade the battery quickly.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Skinny48

Activity: 448
Merit: 18

View Profile
March 03, 2022, 03:09:14 PM

I have a GE76 raider laptop with 3080 GPU and it mine at 52.9MH per second if yours have a 3080 you should be getting roughly the same 52MH from the laptop, this laptop is designed for heavy gaming meaning its capacity to do heavy work so heat isn't a issue but I only used it for mining in hours not 24hrs per day.

RayBarK (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2022, 11:33:12 PM

I have a GE76 raider laptop with 3080 GPU and it mine at 52.9MH per second if yours have a 3080 you should be getting roughly the same 52MH from the laptop, this laptop is designed for heavy gaming meaning its capacity to do heavy work so heat isn't a issue but I only used it for mining in hours not 24hrs per day.

Thanks for the reply, I'm getting 53.60-61Mh/s with stock memory and core clocks at an efficiency of 355kH/s. (Power draw is 151W) So I'm just gonna be happy with it how it is. Thanks
RayBarK (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2022, 11:41:19 PM

Firstly this is the wrong section. You want “Mining-Altcoins” secondly its a very bad idea to mine on a laptop. They aren’t designed for it at all. You will shorten the lifespan of it and degrade the battery quickly.
There's a (plugged in) charging option that allows the battery to be charged at 70-80% capacity to maximize the longevity of the battery, so I'm not worried about that. Chip stays around 63 celcius with the "coolerboost" function.
7deadlyBTCIN

Activity: 120
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 08, 2022, 02:08:33 PM

There's a (plugged in) charging option that allows the battery to be charged at 70-80% capacity to maximize the longevity of the battery, so I'm not worried about that. Chip stays around 63 celcius with the "coolerboost" function.
I'm just curious, isn't it safer to remove battery when mining on laptops and use direct electricity with the charger? I believe this will prolong the life of the battery or I'm wrong?.
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
March 08, 2022, 04:04:39 PM

I'm just curious, isn't it safer to remove battery when mining on laptops and use direct electricity with the charger? I believe this will prolong the life of the battery or I'm wrong?.

Safer from the battery exploding, I suppose that makes the battery last longer but it doesn't help the laptop any.
I've stopped telling people not to mine with a laptop. If people want to do stupid things, have at it.

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1052

View Profile
March 09, 2022, 03:33:38 PM

A laptop battery, like fans from a cooling system, is a consumable item. The battery acts as an UPS if there is a power outage.
It's probably easier not to use the battery if there are no problems with electricity.
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
March 10, 2022, 03:54:31 AM

I see no reason to use a laptop to mining, they really have bad thermal protections for 100% use of the GPU, too little space. Of course if your laptop is not yours then go for it. hehe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: