Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:25:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which EV should I buy?  (Read 81 times)
thirdeyeopen76 (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 11, 2022, 03:31:53 PM

Currently have reservations for Tesla Cybertruck & Fisker Ocean. Was considering a Rivian but dropped that idea after the stock plummeted. Would not consider the Ford truck as I hate that company. Had some interest with some other EV's which may or may not make it to market but after watching videos about those companies their main guys struck me as clowns so will likely wait for the Tesla. Almost pulled the trigger on the "Y" or "X" models from Tesla a few times already but cannot shake the feeling that considering their lack of size & minimalist interiors...they're simply overpriced. Would feel comfortable at 10K less the asking price on those models. Fisker is risky as they've failed before but 49K trim level seems a nice value. Really need a new car but would hate to buy an ICE when so many electrics seem so close. Anyone else have a similar dilemma? thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BernyJB

Activity: 168
Merit: 190

View Profile
March 11, 2022, 05:25:15 PM

Anyone else have a similar dilemma? thoughts?

Ok, first, you're buying a car, not a company. You need to focus on what each car offers vs. their asking price. "Hate the company" is not a valid argument.
Second, you need to research on the many factors involved when buying a car. You will have to deal with it long after you stop worrying about the asking price.
Then, first, you need to consider what's the use you'll give your car. Is it gonna be a toy? Daily driver? Work tool?
Choosing a technology in its infancy over another, well established one has a series of caveats you need to think about. Are there charging stations nearby? Can you recharge your car at home? How long does it take for a full charge? What's the estimated lifespan of the batteries (try to find expert advise here, no marketing bullshit) vs. replacement cost. Spare parts availability? Can your mechanic fix it?
Go to each car's forum and read about them. You will soon be able to tell the fanbois from the guys you can trust. Read about typical problems, quirks, maintenance costs, etc.
I personally wouldn't buy an EV if it was free. The technology is just not mature enough to my taste. Also, if you prefer an EV for environmental reasons, there are better alternatives, all of which use ICE's, like bioethanol, biodiesel, CNG, SVO, etc.
Otherwise, if you do it just because you like the insane amounts of torque they produce, go right ahead, but make an informed decision.
thirdeyeopen76 (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2022, 07:28:36 PM

Berny thanks for the insightful post. I've researched & thought about many of the things you've mentioned. Buying it for environmental reason, speed & reliability, fun, to avoid the hassle or gas stations, to avoid car dealers etc. Work from home so a daily driver not needed & I rarely travel long distances so charging stations not a big concern. Wants something that looks good & I can buy directly. I will buy 2 or 3 EV's in the next 2 years if the prices are right.
BernyJB

Activity: 168
Merit: 190

View Profile
March 12, 2022, 02:41:07 PM

Well, the thing is, if you're buying it for environmental reasons, you need to look how your energy is being generated. If you live in the US, for example, about 70% of your electricity is being produced from coal, so there goes the benefit. In other countries with a higher percentage of energy generated by more environmentally friendly means, EV's may be more suitable.

In any case it's a complicated issue. I spent literally years researching alternative fuels, both for environmental and economic reasons. Looks for forums on EV's, hybrids, etc. You will find a lot of good information on the subject.
thirdeyeopen76 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2022, 09:04:52 PM

Well, the thing is, if you're buying it for environmental reasons, you need to look how your energy is being generated. If you live in the US, for example, about 70% of your electricity is being produced from coal, so there goes the benefit. In other countries with a higher percentage of energy generated by more environmentally friendly means, EV's may be more suitable.

In any case it's a complicated issue. I spent literally years researching alternative fuels, both for environmental and economic reasons. Looks for forums on EV's, hybrids, etc. You will find a lot of good information on the subject.

Ive been watching tons of youtube videos and reading different forums. Just hope my 20+ year old gas guzzler can hold up until next year.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 15, 2022, 09:57:34 PM

My suggestion is to make a list of the important factors in choosing the car. Do you really refuse to buy anything made by Ford? If so, that goes on your list. Include whatever you feel is important, but order the list by importance. You might have others look at your list to help you decide what is important and what is not.

Then, simply compare all available cars to your list. Do not consider factors that are not on the list.

Also, keep in mind that the choice of EVs is very limited. You won't get everything you want in a single choice.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
invest101239

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2022, 01:24:34 AM

Why not consider a Taycan?

It doesn't have the drive range of the model Y or X, but it's a Porsche... not on overpriced and hyped Tesla.

The EV market will be a lot more attractive 4 to 5 years from now when Mercedes, Porsche, and the other German automakers have the time to develop their EV lines.

thirdeyeopen76 (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2022, 03:05:14 AM

Why not consider a Taycan?

It doesn't have the drive range of the model Y or X, but it's a Porsche... not on overpriced and hyped Tesla.

The EV market will be a lot more attractive 4 to 5 years from now when Mercedes, Porsche, and the other German automakers have the time to develop their EV lines.

Beautiful looking cars. Just had a look. Will look into it. Now that the Tesla 3 & Y just took another big price hike in US & China...I'm passing on either of those.
thirdeyeopen76 (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2022, 11:15:36 PM

At this point I guess I will keep driving my beast and wait for the Cybertruck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: