Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:23:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Block's plan hardware wallet with fingerprint sensors...  (Read 306 times)
jostorres

Activity: 2464
Merit: 585

View Profile
March 18, 2022, 07:09:03 PM

I think fingerprint security is going to be a secondary security measure and access to carry out transactions and the seed phrase or wallet key will still be there if I understand the article correctly but what the new does not contain or I failed to see is the statues of the wallet whether if it's will be a custodial or noncustodial wallet this will give us more clarifications on the fingerprint feature I wallet. As others have rightly said, the fingerprint is not secured security 🔒 feature as fingerprint can easily be bypassed via many means but if it an additional security just like we have in our trust wallet as access means but not for the restoration of the wallet. Placing the fingerprint feature as the key security to the wallet may be a big turn-off to many.
Depends on the wallet they can make it primary or secondary and also depends on the user, some like to have an easy access to their wallet so they might like it to be as primary security while some will stick on the old school which is by using private key, seed phrases and alike.

Fingerprint technology are not new but they have been released before in the early smartphones and I think inventors of it already know the issues and vulnerabilities so they probably improve the technology by now. Phones right now holds everything including finances, much more if it's a hardware wallet alone? improving the security is really important for this matter.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
fzkto

Activity: 2282
Merit: 439

Cashback 15%

View Profile
March 18, 2022, 07:52:13 PM

I think too, that biometrics in such hardware wallets will be used as an extra feature, something like unlocking apps on an iPhone with a fingerprint, which can be disabled in the settings. Still, seed will be the primary method, because a fingerprint cannot be digitised in a blockchain. And I wouldn't trust such wallets that use biometrics because you are identifying yourself with specific addresses, which is not secure.
aysg76 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 2124

View Profile
March 24, 2022, 10:03:47 AM

I posted in another thread about this, but beyond the good and bad of the fingerprint, they probably want you to use their app & software so they can track you better.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5341906.msg59307599#msg59307599

This is how integrated block / cashapp is within their ecosystem. Do you want to give them knowledge of your BTC spending habits?

-Dave
This is what happening in reality as they would posses that enhancing security is best way to safe you but on the other hand wants to collect your personal data also.We are familiar with crypto exchanges,wallets data leaks of clients on dark web so this is how we make our funds more secured?

The biometrics can save you time but it can save your funds it's not guaranteed as there are so many problems associated with it but they are not focusing on it.

Still, seed will be the primary method, because a fingerprint cannot be digitised in a blockchain. And I wouldn't trust such wallets that use biometrics because you are identifying yourself with specific addresses, which is not secure.
Seed phrases are traditional way of securing your funds but they are offline not on blockchain as it's open ledger and you can't post something personal or secret there.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████