Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:07:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cant seem to run 10 usb miners on bfgminer (FutureBit Moonlander 2)  (Read 121 times)
poonasor (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 20, 2022, 02:58:59 AM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

Hey,

I've been trying to resolve this problem for a week now and can't seem to get all of my 10 FutureBit Moonlander 2's running with bfgminer 5.4.2 on a raspberry pi 3

No matter what I do it only manages to detect 9 of the usbs - I thought one of them are fried but it works fine when I plug it into my PC.

I saw another thread saying to move the files to another location on the PC - but that did not work on my raspberry pi.

Is there a device limit for bfgminer for the futurebit moonlander 2s?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2972

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2022, 11:41:51 PM

It shouldn't have any limit what exactly USB hub do you use?

Maybe the USB have you use is not giving enough power for your 10th USB stick which is why it's not recognized with your Raspi.
If you can adjust a bit your stick miner lowers the voltage and frequencies maybe the 10th will recognize properly or replace your USB hub.

Check this thread for USB hub https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1779423.0
And check this thread for moonlander 2 official thread here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2420357.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
poonasor (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2022, 05:19:37 AM

It shouldn't have any limit what exactly USB hub do you use?

Maybe the USB have you use is not giving enough power for your 10th USB stick which is why it's not recognized with your Raspi.
If you can adjust a bit your stick miner lowers the voltage and frequencies maybe the 10th will recognize properly or replace your USB hub.

Check this thread for USB hub https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1779423.0
And check this thread for moonlander 2 official thread here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2420357.0

Yeah i think i might give lowering the frequency a try, that could be it.

The USB hub I have is the Sipolar A-165 16 port 2.4a
https://www.sipolar.com/page172.html?product_id=179

it's way overpriced for the power output, I was hoping to run 10 GekkoScience Compac F's but it doesn't produce enough power for even 5 
poonasor (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2022, 03:56:01 AM

so I've tried to lower the frequency and still doesn't work
JayDDee

Activity: 1390
Merit: 220

View Profile
March 22, 2022, 04:54:21 AM

it doesn't produce enough power for even 5 

Of course not, do the math. It might handle 5 at min freq but only one at max freq.

FirmWars

Activity: 229
Merit: 79

View Profile
March 22, 2022, 06:18:44 AM

Pardon me if this sounds annoying for you, how the hell are you making profits out of usb miners? Something that hasn't be effective since 2017 I guess what are you up to fella or is there something I don't know about here?.

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
poonasor (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2022, 04:35:31 PM

it doesn't produce enough power for even 5 

Of course not, do the math. It might handle 5 at min freq but only one at max freq.

this powered hub; Sipolar A-165 is 2.4a per port which I got for my CompactFs but now im using it for my Moonlander2s on my raspberry pi

It has enough juice to power all 10 moonlanders 2 but the bottleneck it seems is the RaspberryPi3 which caps out at 9 usbs
poonasor (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2022, 04:38:16 PM

Pardon me if this sounds annoying for you, how the hell are you making profits out of usb miners? Something that hasn't be effective since 2017 I guess what are you up to fella or is there something I don't know about here?.

USB miners were never profitable, more of a hobby; but during the top of the bull market, it was pretty good if you cashed out.

JayDDee

Activity: 1390
Merit: 220

View Profile
March 22, 2022, 05:37:21 PM

this powered hub; Sipolar A-165 is 2.4a per port

I missed per-port when I previously checked the specs. I must have been looking at a different spec because this one...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008148011.html
also says 2.1A per port.

What happens when you have 10 plugged in? Do 9 work? That would indicate a software limitation. A power problem
would cause them all to fail.

You could try adding other USB devices to the hub so see if you can connect 10 devices simultaneoulsly if they aren't
all miners. That would determine if it's a bfgminer limitation. Try a second hub to determine if it's a hub limitation.

I'm also a bit skeptical, "per port" may not necessarilly mean "all ports simultaneously".

Also as mentioned the Moonlander is just a toy so experience with multiple units is likely limited.

poonasor (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2022, 01:20:00 AM

this powered hub; Sipolar A-165 is 2.4a per port

I missed per-port when I previously checked the specs. I must have been looking at a different spec because this one...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008148011.html
also says 2.1A per port.

What happens when you have 10 plugged in? Do 9 work? That would indicate a software limitation. A power problem
would cause them all to fail.

You could try adding other USB devices to the hub so see if you can connect 10 devices simultaneoulsly if they aren't
all miners. That would determine if it's a bfgminer limitation. Try a second hub to determine if it's a hub limitation.

I'm also a bit skeptical, "per port" may not necessarilly mean "all ports simultaneously".

Also as mentioned the Moonlander is just a toy so experience with multiple units is likely limited.

yeah I reached out to sipolor themselves and the sales rep told me that this A165 is 2.4 per port, I've did some testing and that holds true, but with all ports pulling that amount they begin to fluctuate and thus causes the usb stick to throttle which causes the stick to be come unstable.

so i've switched back the hub to my windows machine and all 10 sticks are working - i've also read that the Pi 3 only supports up to 9 usbs.

deedeeranged

Activity: 325
Merit: 42

View Profile
April 14, 2022, 01:02:51 PM

On Sebs Fin Tech Channel on youtube there is a nice explaination abt. USB (asic) miners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBN29p0rQc
also gives a link to his supplier for USB hubs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: