Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:15:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is load up a gpu in PC the only way to know memory type?  (Read 39 times)
Kalchef (OP)

Activity: 105
Merit: 20

View Profile
March 28, 2022, 05:48:08 AM

Can I go to a store and buy a Hynix or Micron memory GPU? Do gpu packs have their memory type written on their boxes?

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
Rikimaruu

Activity: 45
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2022, 07:31:02 AM

That's a Yes, the only details on a GPU box is serial number, name of GPU and brand, someone close to be ordered for 10x 1660 month ago he got the package two days ago and all the cards are zotac with Hynix memory, he is so happy as these 1660 Hynix are capable of 27.2MH each for ETH mining.

https://qenetex.com
🔵 Qenetex: non-custodial storage
✅ Find best exchange rates with Exchange Engine, up to 100 providers 🖥
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
March 28, 2022, 04:55:40 PM

Yeah unfortunately that's the only way.

I remember going to a computer store and they had a unwrapped (no shrink-wrap) GPU. I asked can they open it up and if I can look at the GPU and see if I can read the name of the memory chips. Luckily these GPUs didn't have thermal pads on the memory and it was Hynix (or Samsung) which is what I wanted.

So I bought a few of these GPUs where the serial # was similar and they all had the same memory chips.

I got lucky because

1) The GPU was already pre-opened and it was no big deal to take out of the box to look. If it was sealed they wouldn't allow it.

2) No memory cooling so the name of the chip is not covered.

ANSEL_2.0

Activity: 271
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 28, 2022, 05:17:15 PM

You can only get that info if the GPU box is opened, meaning you are buying a used graphics card, also since the box is opened I will prefer to test the cards out myself you can never tell what you are buying.

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: