Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:44:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two of my S17+ heatsinks fell off, How can I fix  (Read 227 times)
Ivanko88 (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 30, 2022, 03:51:11 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I was cleaning my hasboards and dropped one of them, the impact caused two heatsinks to fall off.

I have attached two pictures.

How do I go about cleaning the current heatsink and hashboard chip prior to correcting?

Which thermal paste is considered the best for this job?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
March 30, 2022, 04:14:14 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), Ivanko88 (1)

It looks like the chips have been damaged, part of the chip is still attached to the heatsink on both. So the chips will need to be replaced, just attaching the heatsink is not going to work.

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
Coinfarm ventures

Activity: 182
Merit: 152

View Profile
March 30, 2022, 04:45:11 PM

You probably need thermal glue, not thermal paste. Thermal paste is only useful when there's downward pressure forcing the heatsink against the die.
Ivanko88 (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2022, 05:30:21 PM

It looks like the chips have been damaged, part of the chip is still attached to the heatsink on both. So the chips will need to be replaced, just attaching the heatsink is not going to work.

Ah this really sucks... I took my boards apart to clean dust.. and now I lose because the chips are broken...

fuck it

Can I run the board with the two heatsinks off?

Because I dont have alot of spare cash around right now...

Or must I replace these two chips and heatsink before powering back on?
wndsnb

View Profile
April 01, 2022, 11:28:02 PM

Sorry, but a single bad chip on these hashboards will prevent the whole board from working. Assuming that you don't have experience repairing these, your best option is to try to find a shop that can replace the chips for you.

You can run the other two hashboards just fine without this one plugged in though.

BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2022, 11:58:52 PM
Merited by Ivanko88 (1)

I think you can still run these hashboards with bad chips there are some modded firmware that can ignore them but it depends if the bad chip is the first chip all are affected unlike the last chip based on the hashboard diagram.

If it is on the first or the bad chip is in the middle part the following chips will not work so it is advisable to replace the broken/damaged chips if you want the following working chips to work.

This is what I pointing out

You can still run miner with broken chips on the last part or near if you don't have a budget for repair with modded firmware but it is still recommended to replace them.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
wndsnb

View Profile
April 02, 2022, 12:15:47 AM

While it could technically be possible to run a board that has a bad chip, I don't think there are any firmwares out that will do it. Also, the way the communication works between chips, the bad chip would have to fail in a very specific way to make it possible. If the bad chips pulls the RO signal low, then it will prevent all other chips from responding to commands.

Ivanko88 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2022, 03:33:09 PM

Thanks for reply guys, Im going to go in the deep end and try repairing the chips myself.
Hache

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

CEO - Krater.io

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2022, 09:20:49 PM

Man, really sorry. Depending on your location I might be able to recommend you a service center. S17+ is absolute rubbish and this problem with heatsinks falling off taking the chips with them is well known. It's really difficult to repair those machines.

Krater.io helps Data Centers to better monetize their infrastructure through automation, invoicing and payments processing
kcnelson

Activity: 11
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 12, 2022, 10:31:40 PM

I can recommend Great Voyage for S17+ hash board repair. They are not great on communication, keep your paypal transaction as they will ask for it when the board is re-aired ready for shipment.
tornado_blade

Activity: 28
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 13, 2022, 01:54:44 PM
Merited by Hache (1)

I was cleaning my hasboards and dropped one of them, the impact caused two heatsinks to fall off.

I have attached two pictures.

How do I go about cleaning the current heatsink and hashboard chip prior to correcting?

Which thermal paste is considered the best for this job?

https://i.postimg.cc/mBZPwtHs/20220330-122238.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/QMgjqQ3w/20220330-122244.jpg
Hi,
 your asics failed and can't use solder to place your hit sink on chip.
You need to replace with new asic BM1397AG or BM1397AI and need Stencil for chip.
Then use a little solder on chip or hit sink and then put hit sink on chip with heater and make sure solder between chip and hit sink totally melted.
if your board is running well and you cant replace your asics you can put your hit sink by kafuter 704 but this isn't recommended way and after some day or month your bord severely damaged.
GFDhd

Activity: 56
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 25, 2022, 02:45:12 AM

If your chip surface is clean and free of dents, you can choose to continue using the bad chip. But you're better off cleaning bad chips, which will need to be re-tinned using board wash water and aluminum alloy flux. Remember to wear a mask during the operation. However, I would recommend you replace the chip with a new one, because most of the bad chips can't operate stably and will have poor heat dissipation or conduction.
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
July 26, 2022, 05:28:15 PM

It does look bad but may it be superficial. You can buy heat sink epoxy or the thermosetting polymer sold by Zeus (for S9s, etc) to put these back on. If it works you’re all set, if not they will need to be replaced with the ASIC listed above. Using a dedicated router with no Internet you can put all three boards back and see in the system log if it is damaged. Everything depends on that test.

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: