Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:48:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: connecting riser to laptop's USB 3  (Read 63 times)
StonieMalony (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2022, 04:32:15 PM

Hey ... can I connect riser to laptop's USB 3 ? will it work ?
BitKongy

Activity: 405
Merit: 19

View Profile
March 31, 2022, 04:37:42 PM

No don't do that  Shocked you can kill your laptop doing that because you will be sending unwanted watt power to that USB 3 port, PCIe USB ports are different from normal Data USB port, don't do it.
StonieMalony (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2022, 04:42:15 PM

thank you for clearing it up Smiley I been wondering about it for very long time and few times I was even thinking okay I have some old PC lets do the experiment Cheesy does it work in USB 3 but luckily I was always too lazy to try it out Smiley ... is too many watts only problem with it ? I mean because cable is same it kind of makes me think Cheesy ... I feel like a baby with couple of nails in my hand and everybody screaming DONT STICK NAILS INTO WALL PLUG Cheesy
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
March 31, 2022, 05:22:58 PM

You can use a lamp cord for speaker wire but it doesn't mean you can plug your speakers into the wall plug.
Similarly a PCIe riser uses a USB cable but it sends PCIe signals over it.

Also don't confuse a USB hub for a PCIe splitter. PCIe splitters that use USB connectors exist but they look the same
as USB hubs.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1711

View Profile
April 01, 2022, 02:47:46 AM

Even though it looks like it might work because it looks like plug n play the purpose is completely different. The only reason for the USB cable is because when they were designing risers about 8 years ago they didn’t want to have to manufacture a new cable to transfer data.

So they figured the usb cable is in high supply and it’s cheap and they decided to use that instead. However the pins that it uses are not the same pins and functions when using it to charge a phone or plug in a removesble HDD. It just sends data and nothing else. Do not plug it into your laptop you will fry something.
dedizonesv2

Activity: 152
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 01, 2022, 04:04:03 AM

Hey ... can I connect riser to laptop's USB 3 ? will it work ?

use external supply + pcie M2 (wifi )

exemple: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003068914118.html?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: