Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:56:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Israel Bitcoin Meetup Group  (Read 38612 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 09:06:38 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2012, 03:41:18 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

The Herzliya Bitcoin Meetup October 2012 has been scheduled for October 16, 17:45, in Microsoft ILDC - Think Next Academy, Shenkar 13, Building No.6, Floor L1, Herzeliyya Pituach. See http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/events/85485312/.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 09:16:41 AM

We've had a few talks (in Hebrew) in the last meetup, the videos are available here (3 parts).

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 08:25:23 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2012, 08:53:14 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

The Tel Aviv Block [halving] Party 2012 has been scheduled for November 28, 19:00, in Resh Lakish, Nahalat Binyamin 49, Tel Aviv. See http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/events/92646192/.

Be there or be a block.

Time and place are subject to change, please check back for updates.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 04:20:05 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2013, 03:29:25 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

The Tel Aviv Bitcoin Meetup January 2013 has been scheduled for January 21, 17:30, in eToro, Habarzel 32, Building B, Floor 5, Tel Aviv. See http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/events/97068362/.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2013, 03:29:59 PM

Update: The upcoming meetup on Jan 21 2013 has been moved to Google Tel Aviv new offices, Electra Tower, 98 Yigal Alon, Tel Aviv - floor 29.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:18:20 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2013, 10:38:36 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

I would like to report we've had an amazing meetup. I think there were about 130 people (6 times as many as last time). I was worried there might not be enough room but Google were kind enough to connect the two lecture halls to make a large one. I think things went more or less smoothly (though I'll need to see the video to know exactly how badly I screwed up).

Videos and photos should follow.

ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 10:59:26 PM

I would like to report we've had an amazing meetup. I think there were about 130 people (6 times as many as last time). I was worried there might not be enough room but Google were kind enough to connect the two lecture halls to make a large one. I think things went more or less smoothly (though I'll need to see the video to know exactly how badly I screwed up).

Videos and photos should follow.

I actually think you did quite well, perhaps better than previous meetups.
Focused and to the point. There were a few stutters (I had a few as well), but that doesn't mean we didn't do a good job.

Waiting for the vids as well.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 02:19:05 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2013, 03:01:42 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

Photos have been uploaded to the meetup page: http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/photos/12737702/#198059512.

ETA: And here is my presentation "What is mining?": https://bitcoil.co.il/What%20is%20mining.pdf

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 07:28:21 PM

Cool, I love seeing these photos of these events. :-)  Thx for posting.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 10:26:58 PM

You are truly interested in meeting new people and are open to learn.
I can not wait to see what BTC services and ideas come out from IL.

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 10:31:39 PM

You are truly interested in meeting new people and are open to learn.
I can not wait to see what BTC services and ideas come out from IL.

We already had someone ask for us to organize a special meetup for startups.
It might be some time before we get to do that, but it's definitely in our plans.

Exciting times!

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 02:33:11 PM

I will be giving a talk about Bitcoin in the Haifa Linux club in the Technion, on Monday February 4th, at 18:30.

The first part of the lecture will be a general introduction to Bitcoin. The second part will be a technical explanation of how Bitcoin and the blockchain work.

The lecture will be slightly adapted to the terminology of the free software community.

You can find more information and updates on the Haifa Linux club website.

http://haifux.org/
http://haifux.org/lectures/292/

World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:34:52 PM

Do you have any summary of this past talks presentations?
"Dorit Ron will present her work with Adi Shamir on "Quantitative Analysis of the Full Bitcoin Transaction Graph" in ceclub in January.
http://ceclub.technion.ac.il/past.html

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 03:48:14 PM

Do you have any summary of this past talks presentations?
"Dorit Ron will present her work with Adi Shamir on "Quantitative Analysis of the Full Bitcoin Transaction Graph" in ceclub in January.
http://ceclub.technion.ac.il/past.html
I guess I could obtain one (I'm in contact with both Dorit and people from the Technion), but AFAIK basically the paper itself could be considered a summary of the talk (http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/584.pdf).

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 05:59:31 AM

Presentations from the last meetup (no vid yet):

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 02:37:08 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2013, 05:13:38 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

I regret to inform that there will be no videos from the January 2013 meetup in Google.

Google was able to provide us with a video camera for the event. However, this camera was based on mini-dv cassettes medium which are fairly hard to work with. Additionally, no experienced cameraman was available which means we were left with figuring out how to operate the thing. This led to several mishaps.

The first is that one of the cassettes we tried to use was actually a head cleaning cassette. It has a very short tape and once it finished we replaced it with a good one, so only a few minutes from before the event started was missed.

The two good cassettes had to be physically taken to a photo shop that can convert them to a more accessible format. One shop we tried handing over the cassettes to told us one week later that they couldn't read their format, and didn't provide any other info. Afterwards we tried a different shop, that one told us that they were recorded in NTSC (PAL is more popular here), and that it required a different set of equipment - which they had, but it was a long and costly process (100 NIS per cassette).

When they finally delivered the converted data, I checked it out and noticed to my horror there was no audio. The store confirmed that indeed no audio existed in the recorded tapes, probably because the camera had a microphone that needed to be explicitly turned on but wasn't.

So now we have video footage of the event without any sound, and as fun as it is to watch us making all kinds of hand gestures and wondering what we're saying, I don't think it's of much use. If there's demand I'll consider uploading the videos as they are, but I think it would just cause confusion.

It's a real shame because I think the event was quite successful and I wish we had a way to preserve it and make it available to those who missed it.

To better handle the next events we've now purchased a video camera of our own. It won't be of the same quality, but at least we won't have to scramble calling in favors to get a camera each time, and we can figure it out once and be confident that we'll get it right when it counts.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 05:42:56 PM

The Tel Aviv Bitcoin Meetup March 2013 has been scheduled for March 21, 17:30, in the Rozin Community Center, Drezner 2, Tel Aviv. See http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/events/106892452/.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 09:54:07 PM

The Tel Aviv Bitcoin Meetup March 2013 has been scheduled for March 21, 17:30, in the Rozin Community Center, Drezner 2, Tel Aviv. See http://www.meetup.com/bitcoin-il/events/106892452/.
There were about 160 people, which is nice. I didn't really like the venue and there were many glitches with the flow. I hope to do better next time. We will try to upload slides and videos soon.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 08:58:21 PM

Here are the slides (no vids yet, sorry):

- Intro to Bitcoin - Meni Rosenfeld (English)
- Free trade in the Bitcoin Era - Zach Harvey (Hebrew)
- Bitcoin and Regulation - Jonathan Rouach (English)
- Alternative Payment Technologies (English, also on this thread)

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 03:56:24 AM

And finally, here are the videos (Hebrew only!)

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: