Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:37:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I just began to run full node. Where do I see my contribution?  (Read 194 times)
dragospirvu75 (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 18

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 06:05:15 PM

Today I started to run a full node. Where do I see my contribution in running my full node? Like how many transactions or block I have validated or something like this.

And another thing, this is written on bitcoin.org at full node:
"6 hours a day that your full node can be left running. (You can do other things with your computer while running a full node.) More hours would be better, and best of all would be if you can run your node continuously."

What is that "6 hours"? The minimum time I have to run continously the full node? Or the total in a day (like 3 hours + 3 hours)? And what if I run only 4 hours?
Thanks!
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16663

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2022, 06:11:33 PM
Merited by hosseinimr93 (2), ABCbits (1), nc50lc (1), dragospirvu75 (1)

Like how many transactions or block I have validated or something like this.
Every node should validate all transactions in all blocks. But you may be confused by miners, who create new blocks.

I'd say have a look at Bitcoin Core > Window > Network Traffic. See how much you're uploading, that's basically what you're doing to help other nodes.
There's no hard limit for how many hours you have to run your node, but if it goes offline the moment someone connects to it, it's no use. Assuming your system doesn't have performance issues, you can try to keep it on continuously.

dragospirvu75 (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2022, 03:44:01 AM

Okay, good to know, thank you very much!
dragospirvu75 (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2022, 04:25:26 PM

After 12 hours of running it: Received 156MB and Sent 356 MB. I think I made all the things to allow incoming connections. At this rate, do you think other nodes are connecting to me?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16663

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2022, 05:02:31 PM

do you think other nodes are connecting to me?
Yes. You're sending more than you download.

litecoin_messiah

Activity: 355
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2022, 01:30:39 AM

be sure to visit https://bitnodes.io/#join-the-network.
handsome_latino

Activity: 22
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 12, 2022, 03:54:08 AM
Merited by Welsh (2), ABCbits (1)

I noted recently that if your IP is dynamic (ie: it changes every now and then), your inbound nodes may suddenly drop and it might take a bit of time for new ones to reconnect.

What is that "6 hours"? The minimum time I have to run continously the full node? Or the total in a day (like 3 hours + 3 hours)? And what if I run only 4 hours?
Thanks!

It can be the total time and you're free to run the node for any amount of time as long as it's enough for all new blocks to get validated while you're online.

As an example, if you turn off your computer when the block height is 600,000 and then turn it back on when the new height is 600,050 you will need to download and validate those new 50 transactions before you are running a fully synced node.

If eventually you cannot catch up then your node becomes less and less helpful for the network, but if you're running your node on your personal computer and it's powerful enough, syncing should be quite fast.

Another note is that if you are looking to connect to your wallet to your own node for privacy, you need to be fully synced.
dragospirvu75 (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2022, 05:13:36 AM
Merited by hartonosusilo (1)

Good to know, thank you very much for you answer!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: