Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:39:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full Node Zero Data In: Troubleshoot Fail  (Read 123 times)
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 62

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2022, 05:18:17 PM

Until recently, I had robust data I/O on Full Node, Windows 11. Recently, "in" dropped to zero. Since I had been successful and since I
had configured port forwarding correctly both in my router and in Windows, I assumed that my configuration had become corrupted, so I
decided to re-check my configuration:
a. From the router I confirmed port forwarding range 8333 to 8333.
b. In Windows 11, I followed the steps in this tutorial https://linuxhint.com/port-forwarding-windows/ both for creating a new inbound rule
and designating 8333 and for insuring pass through in Windows Defender Firewall as well as introducing manual settings for my LAN configuration (the writer didn't explain why this would be better than "automatic" but I did it anyway).

I can still confirm by my Information window and by https://bitnodes.io/  that 8333 is closed and I'm not receiving data.

I can't figure out my next troubleshooting step because I can't find errors in my configuration. A "hatchet" approach of re-installng Windows and Core I want to avoid at all costs!

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2022, 06:36:24 PM

OP: I solved the problem but I don't understand the solution exactly. I went back to my router's configuration, deleted the port forwarding, added virtual server plus port forwarding, previously I had had the latter only, and now I am getting incoming data. It could be that the router's configuration had become corrupted and that I just needed to delele it and add again. If so, I'm happy that the problem was with the router and not Windows! In any case, it feels great to be green again on bitnodes.io

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
April 10, 2022, 07:14:10 PM

I'm not sure whether it'd have helped in this case but you might want to look up how to access network mapping information on the devices you have (your router and your node - it mightve made the problem easier to find if you ran a command of netstat and could see where the 8333 port was having a problem).
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
April 10, 2022, 07:25:42 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I solved the problem but I don't understand the solution exactly. I went back to my router's configuration, deleted the port forwarding, added virtual server plus port forwarding, previously I had had the latter only, and now I am getting incoming data.
What do you input on the virtual server config setting, before and after?

If you are still using your ARRIS TG2482 router and referring to your old post, the thing I could think of is maybe your windows local/private IP address have changed.

Besides inputting a name, the only other field was for my ip address. For that I opened Windows Search < Command Prompt and typed in  ipconfig. Then I saved all and logged out of my modem.
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2022, 09:41:43 PM

I'm not sure whether it'd have helped in this case but you might want to look up how to access network mapping information on the devices you have (your router and your node - it mightve made the problem easier to find if you ran a command of netstat and could see where the 8333 port was having a problem).

For the first time I tried netstat with cmd prompt and tried different flags--I could see port 8333 and I could see packets of data in and out for IPv4. But suppose 8333 was still broken . . . I'm not sure how netstat could help me other than to indicate that port 8333 was absent. But there are other ways I can indicate that. I'm probably not seeing now netstat could help . . .

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
Noob_Is_Relative (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2022, 10:10:34 PM

I solved the problem but I don't understand the solution exactly. I went back to my router's configuration, deleted the port forwarding, added virtual server plus port forwarding, previously I had had the latter only, and now I am getting incoming data.
What do you input on the virtual server config setting, before and after?

If you are still using your ARRIS TG2482 router and referring to your old post, the thing I could think of is maybe your windows local/private IP address have changed.

Besides inputting a name, the only other field was for my ip address. For that I opened Windows Search < Command Prompt and typed in  ipconfig. Then I saved all and logged out of my modem.

I switch the Windows computer runniing Core between two stations, each with a different wired connection to the router. Does that mean that my IP address changes accordingly and does that make a difference with respect to router configuration and port forwarding??

When I configured my router the first time, I configured only port forwarding. All was well. After I lost incoming data via 8333  I configured diifferently. This time I configured virtual server first. It's identical to the port forwarding menu except it adds "private" IP address. To get that, I
Code:
ipconfig/all
and inserted that AND I configured the menu on port forwarding.
a. I can't explain if this different configuration was the reason for my success. If it was, then why did I have success the first time without it?
b. Does it matter if I move my computer to different locations (connections)? If so, then every time I move my computer I must get a new IP address for that location and ediit the router configuration?
c. I went to dnsstuff.com and read reviews of various network mapping tools--way overkill for my sometimes single port 8333 forwarding issue. Nevertheless, any recommendation on a program, even if paid, that could help with port forwarding issues?

Oh, and thanks for your ideas.

Aller Anfang ist schwer.
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
April 13, 2022, 07:14:47 PM

a. I can't explain if this different configuration was the reason for my success. If it was, then why did I have success the first time without it?
I don't know if a router would accept port forwarding config without assigning the Local IP address. You said:
Back then did you fill that IP address field?

I switch the Windows computer runniing Core between two stations, each with a different wired connection to the router. Does that mean that my IP address changes accordingly and does that make a difference with respect to router configuration and port forwarding??
If you switch the ethernet port, I don't know for sure, but it's likely. And yes, if the node local IP gets changed, you might have to reconfigure the router settings.

b. Does it matter if I move my computer to different locations (connections)? If so, then every time I move my computer I must get a new IP address for that location and ediit the router configuration?
Some basic thing is your router assigns local IP addresses for every connected device. And in that period, the assigned IP address has a lease time. So if the device hasn't been connected to your router for some period amount of time and/or maybe changing the ethernet port as you did, the router assigned a new different IP.

If you are bothered by it, you could either to
1. Add some router configuration to assign a specific IP address based on MAC address of your device.
2. Manually set up the local IP of the device on your device network configuration. See how: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/919/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: