Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:49:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost part of the mnemonic phrase  (Read 223 times)
Sauv84 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 11, 2022, 09:22:56 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4)

Hello. My brother lost part of a mnemonic phrase in Electrum.
He deleted a part of the phrase from the .txt file (4 words).
There was a large amount of bitcoins in the wallet.

Is there any way to restore his wallet? Cry Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2022, 10:49:43 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), DaveF (2), ABCbits (1), hosseinimr93 (1)

You can recover this wallet and find the missing 4 words from your backup seed phrase the only problem is I think it will take months or years depending on the PC specs.
If you have a GPU rig you can speed up the process.

There are two tools that I know that you can use to brute force the missing 4 words BTCrecovery and FinderOuter Bitcoin recovery tool.
You can find the source of BTCrecovery here https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
And FinderOuter here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5214021.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7464

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 12, 2022, 11:22:19 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), NeuroticFish (2), hosseinimr93 (1), m2017 (1)

Brute force 4 missing Electrum words isn't cheap, so i have to ask whether you already think another way to restore your Bitcoin? For example,
1. Check whether your OS made backup of that .txt file. For example, Windows have feature "Enable Previous Version" which AFAIK enabled by default.
2. If you accidentally delete Electrum wallet file, you could use file recovery tool software (such as Recuva) to restore the file.

There are two tools that I know that you can use to brute force the missing 4 words BTCrecovery and FinderOuter Bitcoin recovery tool.
You can find the source of BTCrecovery here https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
And FinderOuter here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5214021.0

FinderOuter is more user-friendly, but 2048^4 is rather large combination and FinderOuter lacks GPU acceleration.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
April 12, 2022, 04:10:26 PM
Merited by Sauv84 (2), ABCbits (1), hosseinimr93 (1)

Agree with both posts above.

I would use btcrecover preferentially to try to do this. Rather than use the link BitMaxz has shared (which is the link to the long abandoned original software), use this link instead (which is for a constantly updated forked version which will run faster and has better documentation on how to set up and use it): https://btcrecover.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

I would explore other means of recovering your wallet first, as 4 missing words in a known position still leaves 17.5 trillion combinations to try. This is assuming that they are in a known position. If you are missing 4 words from an unknown position, then this becomes exponentially harder and maybe impossible depending on what hardware you have available.

Do you know an address from the wallet in question (preferably the first one)? It will make the process somewhat easier if you do.

You'll also want to set up a token list with your 8 known words, but this will be pretty easy to do and I'm happy to guide you through it. Obviously don't share your other 8 words with anybody who offers to help.
Sauv84 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 12, 2022, 05:04:34 PM

The password was written on paper, he lost it and tried to recover the wallet with a mnemonic phrase
The backup on the computer is disabled.
He could try to recall the word order, but it would still be inaccurate, I guess.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
April 12, 2022, 05:33:56 PM

He could try to recall the word order, but it would still be inaccurate, I guess.
Can you be more specific here? Are you talking about the order of the other 8 words, or the position of the four unknown ones?

Crunching the numbers, if he is missing four words AND doesn't know the order of any of the words, then you are looking at something like 273 possible combinations. This would require renting cloud computing to solve, and would be prohibitively expensive unless the wallet contained a significant amount of coins.

What exactly do you know about the order of the known words and the missing words?
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2022, 06:05:47 PM

The password was written on paper, he lost it and tried to recover the wallet with a mnemonic phrase
The backup on the computer is disabled.
so your brother lost his password that is why he trying to restore the wallet with his seed backup the only problem is it has missing 4 words.

Can you ask your brother if his wallet with password is still there?

It might be much faster to brute-force if he remembers parts of his password than brute-forcing missing words.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16599

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2022, 02:07:11 PM

But even if there's no backup, sometimes it's possible to recover file which updated/modified. I would recommend you to make raw copy of your drive (with tool such as HDD Raw Copy[1]), so later you could use recovery tools (such as PhotoRec[2] or Recuva[3]) without worry the data overwritten since you keep using it.
I'm not sure how Windows stores text files, but if it's really just stored as plain text, it would be quite easy to do a raw search for some of the known words on the entire disk.

Brute force 4 missing Electrum words isn't cheap
~
2048^4 is rather large combination
According to Ian Coleman's BIP39 Split Mnemonic, it takes 109 seconds to hack if you know 8 out of 12 words. I can't really believe those numbers, that would mean checking 161 billion combinations per second. But I am now curious how much processing power some of the professionals have for this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: