Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:15:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wallet.dat won't load  (Read 112 times)
MrSilverhand (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 14, 2022, 07:49:15 AM

Hello,

I have a rather old wallet.dat file (with most likely nothing in it, but I thought I'd make double sure). I've just downloaded bitcoin core and the whole blockchain, but it gets stuck when trying to open the wallet itself. Should it take a long time and I just have to wait, or is there a problem and a way to fix it?

I am on Fedora 35

Many thanks!
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 16831

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2022, 08:44:36 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1), jackg (1)

I've just downloaded bitcoin core and the whole blockchain, but it gets stuck when trying to open the wallet itself. Should it take a long time and I just have to wait, or is there a problem and a way to fix it?
I just tested it by opening a 4 year old wallet: Bitcoin Core starts, and shows a window with "Rescanning..." at the bottom. It's now going through hundreds of GB of blockchain on my local disk to check transactions on all addresses inside that wallet. If yours shows the same, just wait. This can take a few hours depending on your system.

Sauv84

Activity: 13
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 14, 2022, 05:20:38 PM

Agree with both posts above.

I too was restoring an old wallet and waited long enough.
Lucky that the old wallets were not encrypted at all and it was enough just to wait
But in the end I was rewarded with 3 btc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: