Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:03:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it still safe to use & what type of encryption does ETH use ?  (Read 26 times)
rupxisshit (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2022, 05:32:36 PM

Hi all,
What type of encryption is this (in the pic).It's 64 characters long.Does it ECC 256 ? AES 256 ?
Second question -I used this wallet here :https://github.com/MyEtherWallet/etherwallet/releases/tag/v3.11.3.1
and in the json file in says -cipher":"aes-128-ctr".aes-128 is usually 32 characters and aes-256 is 64.(64 characters of the private key !).so what is it ? aes-128 or aes-256 or ECC128/256.
Last question and most important - if I created a wallet today with it, and I never used (never sent fund to it), is it still safe to use in the cryptographic sense ? (like encryption type and the version- funds won't be lost because it's an older version right ? is it still the same type of  public\private keys to access ? nothing change in that matter right because if it did, many people who actually used it in 2018 or 2017 or whatever will have problems with it-SO WHY not also use it today right ? lets think I did it 5 years ago.
so the most important question is if I can still you it today,save the public and private keys and that's it, as long as the private key is secure then all good , right ?
Thanks in advance

Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 26, 2022, 03:58:35 AM

Last question and most important - if I created a wallet today with it, and I never used (never sent fund to it), is it still safe to use in the cryptographic sense ?
It's safe. I have been opening my non used wallet for 4 years and my funds are still safe.
(like encryption type and the version- funds won't be lost because it's an older version right ?
The version doesn't matter even if it will be updated into the latest version and it will be only adding new features and all of things from the old version will be also fully supported by the new version of wallet.
is it still the same type of  public\private keys to access ?
both were actually different thing

nothing change in that matter right because if it did, many people who actually used it in 2018 or 2017 or whatever will have problems with it-SO WHY not also use it today right ? lets think I did it 5 years ago.

what problem?

so the most important question is if I can still you it today,save the public and private keys and that's it, as long as the private key is secure then all good , right ?
Thanks in advance

Yeah, privatekey is the most sensitive data. As long as you keep it in safe place and that would be find and think if your priv key never be exposed.
rupxisshit (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2022, 04:42:52 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2022, 04:54:22 PM by rupxisshit

Hi,
thanks for the reply but I don't think you understood my point.
First I never said pubic and private key are the same.
what I am asking is what cryptographic encryption does Ethereum use today vs what Ethereum used in 2017 or 2018.
I want to create a paper wallet with the old version of myethwallet..
another question is why does it says in the json when you open a wallet with the link I posted - "cipher":"aes-128-ctr","kdf":"scrypt","kdfparams""..look at the wallet in the link(https://github.com/MyEtherWallet/etherwallet/releases/tag/v3.11.3.1).why does it say aes-128 and if it becuase it's true does it still used today ? (it's looks a little weak to me why not at least aes256..)& (aes128 is 32 Characters long ,but the wallet shows 64 Characters private key (like aes256) so its weird.it say 128 but print a wallet with 256 characteristics)
But I read online it's not aes128.so what is it and if it's different -why, and is it safe to use ?  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: