Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:43:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core with wrong total?  (Read 106 times)
Atrax (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 33

View Profile
May 14, 2022, 04:29:46 PM

Hi all,
rescanned some old wallet.dat files with Bitcoin Core. Most of them were empty as expected (sigh!). But then, there was one with a lot of Bitcoin on it.

Too good to be true. But nevertheless, put in my address of a current wallet, sent it. The wallet shows that it has been sent, but nothing arrives. The tx seems to have been submitted to the mempool, according to the debug-logs.

I used this wallet in 2014/15 for collecting miner's fees, and as to my recollection, I had emptied it in about 2017. So it seemed weird to me that there should be a substantial amount of Bitcoin still on it.

So this seems to be a glitch - but what kind of a glitch?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
P2PECS

Activity: 173
Merit: 74

View Profile
May 14, 2022, 05:40:47 PM

What fee did you use?

Why don't you put the TXID in mempool.space or another block explorer and see? I think that would be the best way, if it tells you that the transaction does not exist, it is a glitch, otherwise congratulations.

I say this because you say it seems to have been transmitted to the mempool according to Bitcoin Core, and it may be waiting for confirmation.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16637

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2022, 06:33:58 PM

Any change it's a Doge wallet instead of Bitcoin? It happens Wink
If not, you should rescan* the wallet. But before anything, you should make another backup.

* This may depend on your Bitcoin Core version.

Atrax (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 33

View Profile
May 14, 2022, 10:18:16 PM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

Rescaned the wallet. It is a Bitcoin wallet, I can tell by the transactions from Kano's pool.
However, after the rescan, the debug file tells me that it is a conflicting transaction. So no need for congratulations Smiley
Weird is, however, the fact that all transactions from 2016 are now with yesterday's date in Bitcoin Core.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2022, 11:00:03 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

Did you install Bitcoin core recently and resync?

It happens to me before while my Bitcoin core is syncing I saw balances on my wallet and tried to send them but actually it didn't send or the transaction was invalid but after the Bitcoin core is fully synced the balances are gone because I already sent it a long time ago.

So I think you are trying to send Bitcoin that was already spent you just need to wait for your Bitcoin core to be fully sync before you can see the right balance of your wallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████