Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:24:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla used to power cryptocurrency mining.  (Read 293 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
May 20, 2022, 02:40:12 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

ok math time

lets take last years average hashrate of 154exahash.
where by using that years efficient asic the s19

which is 110terrahash for 3.25kw/h

well when blocks were being solved at an average of 154exahash in 2021
it required 1.4million asics constant,

meaning each hour was 4550000kwh (for 37.5btc(6x6.25))
meaning each btc was 121333kwh (4.55gwh/37.5)

bitcoin average price was $40k for 2021.
meaning to get $800 of coin would be 2% of 121333kwh

meaning it would have required 2426.66kwh's to get $800
or more simply.

a tesla car battery is only ~75kwh capacity.
meaning running just 1x S19 would only run for 23 hours between recharges

going from full to flat 23 hours a day, and recharging.
it would have taken 32 days to earn $800

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 20, 2022, 03:02:20 PM

I've seen electric cars referred to as "power banks on wheels", but this is taking it a bit too literally.
Why not power your house from the free supercharging instead?

you probably could in theory. except the odometer and black box data would rat you out if checked.

when i go ev, i will absolutely get something that can do the backfeed-and-power-your-house thing. having an ev as backup power for my house would be nice.
eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
May 21, 2022, 12:03:27 AM

I don't know whether this is an old news or an recent incident. Today only I came across this and I find this a better way of green mining. But, in terms of affordability everyone can't depend or power their mining rigs using Tesla. Rather than serving as an influencer, Elon Musk could've thought in such a way as his customers.
Tesla have another product named Tesla Powerwall which is powered by solar energy. If that is how Tesla is using to power cryptocurrency mining then it is great and it is possible to power a rig if you are using their Powerwall and it is an ingenious invention for greener energy and he has not built that with cryptocurrency miners in mind  Wink.

Two Tesla owners have been using their cars to mine cryptocurrency, where one used his car to mine $800 per month. This is quite a good sum of money out of mining. Right now two of them were identified, and following this we can expect more Tesla owners follow this method.
It is a newsworthy story but still could not understand why they would charge their Tesla car and then mine, why not do it directly.
Darker45
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1857

🙏🏼Padayon...🙏

View Profile
May 21, 2022, 01:44:47 AM

It sounds amusing, but that's just it. Under normal circumstances, nobody would imitate this in order to make profit. This is like using a third party and even a fourth one in order to accomplish what could have easily been done directly.

In other words, the battery and the Tesla are both unnecessary middlemen in order to do the mining. It's more efficient and cost-effective if the power is taken directly from the grid and not from the batteries of a Tesla which is getting its electrical load from a charging station which is connected to the main grid.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
May 21, 2022, 02:56:19 AM

Facts:

1- Tesla model battery capacity is either 54, 62, 75 or 82 kWh, so 82 kWh at most ( we will work with this number).
2- It costs $20,000 and $35,000 to get a full battery module replacement for the Model 3.
3-

Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, has stated that the Model 3’s battery was designed to last 300,000 to 500,000 miles, or 1,500 charging cycles.

in the best-case scenario, the 82 kWh will average 70% for its lifespan, it will be worse given the inverter loss and the 100% DOD, but let's just say it's 57kWh, an S9 will drain it to 0% in 40 hours, so he has 1500*40 hours to mine with the battery before it's done, in other words, every cycle is good for 1.6 days, so 1500/1.6 days = 937 or let's just round that to 30 months.

given that we used the largest battery possible, then it's fair to use the $35,000 figure for battery replacement, that's burning $1,166 a month to make a $100 mining with S9.

The other GPU guy mentioned in the article might be in a better spot, given that GPUs yield a lot more $ per KwH, so let's assume the 800$ they mentioned is correct, he still loses $366 every month.

Not taking into account the cost of their setup, the time and energy wasted during deriving the car to where they charge it for free, voiding the warranty, and the inability to drive a car which they paid a few tens of thousands to obtain.

I found some other sources that claim battery replacement is 14k for the same model, which means the GPU guy is "in theory" making some profit until he is not, but let's just use another approach for the 14k figure.

14k to get a total of 57*1500 or 85,500 kWh, which means it costs 16 cents per KwH, the average miner in the U.S get a lot less than that, large mining corps get 2 cents, folks in NY maybe get 8-10 cents, I am not sure about the rest,  but if anyone pays more than that, might as well use the battery to power their house instead, because mining at 16 cents is a losing game.

The experiment is very interesting nonetheless.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bitzizzix

Activity: 2380
Merit: 448

View Profile
May 21, 2022, 03:36:17 AM

Using an electric vehicle supercharger like the Tesla model can be a good idea, but some problems may arise.
Among the concerns are the possibility that the mining rig can generate a lot of heat which can damage the interior of the car over time and the battery of the car is also easily damaged if used continuously for bitcoin mining and in addition the owner has to install a bitcoin mining computer in the trunk of the car. The mining rig is then filled by the car supercharger while mining bitcoins.
and I prefer more sustainable transportation, but mining bitcoins isn't that.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
SpenserReed

Activity: 63
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 21, 2022, 04:19:47 AM

Today only I came across this and I find this a better way of green mining.

Okay, the energy from the tesla is green, but is the energy that charges the tesla green?  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: