Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:25:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MSI 1080 hashrate problems please help  (Read 254 times)
mastersrybnik (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2022, 09:20:10 PM

Hi. I am a beginner at best as this is my first attempt on OC or mining in general. I started going straight into pure ETH mining.
My PC is a usual (I think PC gamers PC from few years ago) which can be checked here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TnbTMb.
Exact card model MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5X, GPU BIOS 86.4.17.0.50, nvidia driver: 512.53 (30.0.15.1259) on Windows 10

Before jumping in I watched a tonne of stuff from multiple yt channels and read some topics on forums including here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5312518.0 (just fg.).

I follow the steps of most guides but already fail at step one which is using OhGodAnETHlargementPill or --mt 6 in Trex or -straps 5 in Phoenix. My PC (while GPU is on full stock settings but FAN 90%) just crushes every single time. I have tried all 6 --mt settings and all straps settings to no avail. Even if I try starting the miners on stock settings and then starting OhGodAnETHlargementPill it still cruses.
The only way I can make use of those memory tweakers is to overclock the GPU and then start them. For me it doesnt really make sense but at least I am not in complete hole when it comes to efficiency like when I just go stock settings.
So I went down and up the GPU and MEM speed without the PILL and found the best settings with no crush in miners is GPU +135 and MEM +580. Going minus is dropping the hashrates hard.

So I use MSI afterburner and my numbers while mining are:
Full STOCK no ETHPILL:
GPU #0: MSI GTX 1080 - 22.53 MH/s, [T:66C, P:131W, F:70%, E:171kH/W]
GPU 1898
MEM 5005

BEST high OC settings I can find without ETHPILL:
GPU #0: MSI GTX 1080 - 26.50 MH/s, [T:57C, P:150W, F:70%, E:176kH/W]
GPU +135 (but in afterburner it shows 2050)
MEM +580 (afterburner it shows 5583)

BEST low OC settings I can find without ETHPILL:
GPU #0: MSI GTX 1080 - 25.57 MH/s,
GPU -270 (but in afterburner it shows 1645)

After a while of playing with this I discovered that when I am running this high OC settings above I can start the ETHPILL and it works to some degree. Numers are better but also power usage is insane:
BEST high OC settings I can find without ETHPILL:
GPU #0: MSI GTX 1080 - 33.14 MH/s, [T:58C, P:168W, F:70%, E:198kH/W]
GPU +135 (but in afterburner it shows 2050)

So I just cant image this card pulling 170W almost doing 33MHs so I started playing with Power Limit and The best I can come up with is PL 52 which is very low but honestly the first -40 levels do not change shit all. Only after going -41 starts to dip the wattage and MHs with it. Here are the numbers:
GPU #0: MSI GTX 1080 - 29.60 MH/s, [T:51C, P:126W, F:70%, E:239kH/W] (overnight does go to 30.2MHs)
GPU +135 (clock drops in range 1820 - 1860 due to power limitations)
MEM +580

I am running everything with Admin rights 100%.
I basically willing to try anything (maybe except bios flash) since I have run out of ideas here and on this very forum I saw ppl posting the same cards with 30MHs while taking 100W or the cards doing 38-40MHs with more the same Power Usage I currently have. I am sort of stuck in the middle of this with worse of both worlds low MHs and high Power consuption.

Thanks a million.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
May 19, 2022, 08:10:51 AM

1. The 10x0 series (Pascal GPU) decrease the hashrate with every new DAG Epoch - the bigger the DAG - the slower the GPU. I think you see old results. If you mine another coin - ETC for example with only 3GB DAG compared to ETH with near 5GB DAG - you will get 40mh again.
2. you can push the card a little bit with higher core clocks to get the hashrate back, but for sure the power consumption is also higher.
3. don´t play with PL. PL - POWER LIMIT - why setting this? There is no reason. Set a fixed core clock and fixed voltage for the GPU - you can get better results, it is more stable and it makes more sense.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1054

View Profile
May 19, 2022, 03:36:26 PM

I basically willing to try anything (maybe except bios flash) since I have run out of ideas here and on this very forum I saw ppl posting the same cards with 30MHs while taking 100W or the cards doing 38-40MHs with more the same Power Usage I currently have. I am sort of stuck in the middle of this with worse of both worlds low MHs and high Power consuption.

Thanks a million.
I think it's not true. The GeForce GTX 1080 cannot mine at 100 watts or the hashrate will be very low. Limit the power limit to 160-170 watts, memory +500 windows, hive os +1000 and use ETHPILL.I don't know of better settings.
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1313

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2022, 07:30:50 PM

1. The 10x0 series (Pascal GPU) decrease the hashrate with every new DAG Epoch - the bigger the DAG - the slower the GPU. I think you see old results. If you mine another coin - ETC for example with only 3GB DAG compared to ETH with near 5GB DAG - you will get 40mh again.
2. you can push the card a little bit with higher core clocks to get the hashrate back, but for sure the power consumption is also higher.
3. don´t play with PL. PL - POWER LIMIT - why setting this? There is no reason. Set a fixed core clock and fixed voltage for the GPU - you can get better results, it is more stable and it makes more sense.

I confess I didn't know about the reduction because of epoch

A suggestion to OP, try to use Nicehash: https://www.nicehash.com/
Let the program benchmark all the algos for you and all the miners, at least you will know which one is most profitable to you

If you can achieve more hashrate with ETC for example, you can mine ETC and change for ETH if this is your goal
With Nicehash you can mine and receive in BTC

Obs - I suggest this because it's easy for you to start, after some time you can mine directly in a pool when you get more knowledge

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
mastersrybnik (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2022, 08:18:45 PM

Thanks for a response.

ad 1. I will test ETC in a few days but I dont know if it can be paid out in NANO on 2miners where I am currently set up at. I do admit that finding a video or topic with 1080 where it is less then 6 months with concrete data is hard.
ad 2. I cannot, anything over +135 on core drops the MHs buy more then 10%. After crossing 140 its a crash.
ad 3. Here I am confused really since the game is about efficiency I thought. I can either stay at PL 52 doing 30.30MHs at 125W or go to PL 100 and do 33.20MHs at 165W or more. So thats a sub 10% MHs increase (2.9Mhs) for ~32% power increase. Absolutely not worth it in my opinion.

Also I have been able to fix the stability issue. Swtiched to using afterburner GPU +135, MEM +580, PL 52, FAN 65% then starting TREX and finally starting ETHPILL.
mastersrybnik (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2022, 08:40:39 PM

Thanks a million.
I think it's not true. The GeForce GTX 1080 cannot mine at 100 watts or the hashrate will be very low. Limit the power limit to 160-170 watts, memory +500 windows, hive os +1000 and use ETHPILL.I don't know of better settings.

I was referring to this topic with posted stats: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5312518.0. I understand its old and situation changed but somebody made it work so I was thinking maybe im missing something you guys with experience might just know.
I understand that hiveOS is a operating system so I cannot use it since this is my main PC (I game a little) and that would mean i need to do dual boot or someting. Now I just use the PC normally with trex on the site and just turn mining off if I want to play something.
mastersrybnik (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2022, 08:48:46 PM

I confess I didn't know about the reduction because of epoch

A suggestion to OP, try to use Nicehash: https://www.nicehash.com/
Let the program benchmark all the algos for you and all the miners, at least you will know which one is most profitable to you

If you can achieve more hashrate with ETC for example, you can mine ETC and change for ETH if this is your goal
With Nicehash you can mine and receive in BTC

Obs - I suggest this because it's easy for you to start, after some time you can mine directly in a pool when you get more knowledge

I am trying to learn the mining in general so wanted to avoid the easy ways our but I will most likely end u trying NiceHash. I wanted to avoid using BTC or ETH payouts as the transfer price is there and kinda doesnt make sense for a small miner like me if I can just get it in nano for absolutely free.
Right now im using 2miners eth to nano. But I will look into Nicehash since its windows base I can do it no problem.
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1313

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2022, 10:21:09 PM

I am trying to learn the mining in general so wanted to avoid the easy ways our but I will most likely end u trying NiceHash. I wanted to avoid using BTC or ETH payouts as the transfer price is there and kinda doesnt make sense for a small miner like me if I can just get it in nano for absolutely free.
Right now im using 2miners eth to nano. But I will look into Nicehash since its windows base I can do it no problem.

I understand.  Smiley
But to clarify, if the transaction fees are the problem, with Nicehash you will earn BTC, and you can exchange for another coin on Nicehash, they have their own exchange: https://www.nicex.com/exchange-market
so you can change for Litecoin for example and withdraw with less fees. You can withdraw with Lightning Network too or even change your BTC to USDC and keep in dollars

There are a lot of possibilities to explore  Wink

And another thing, I suggested you to Nicehash just to try and see how your card will perform, you can eliminate problems and find what's the problem

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2022, 03:00:51 PM

Thanks a million.

I was referring to this topic with posted stats: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5312518.0. I understand its old and situation changed but somebody made it work so I was thinking maybe im missing something you guys with experience might just know.
I understand that hiveOS is a operating system so I cannot use it since this is my main PC (I game a little) and that would mean i need to do dual boot or someting. Now I just use the PC normally with trex on the site and just turn mining off if I want to play something.
For this video card, it doesn't matter what you use: hiveOS or windows. Some miners are afraid to use ETHPILL on the main PC. I want to explain to you that this video card, when mining ethereum, consumed 150-170 watts from the wall on the Gold PSU. GTX 1070 consumed 125-140 watts.
I think that you understand that you need to count the consumption from the wall. If the video card consumes 100 watts, then the consumption from the wall will be 108 watts for example.
StormHawk

Activity: 219
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 21, 2022, 12:18:53 PM

I would mine the Cuckoocylce algorithm aka Aeternity with gtx 1080 if I have one because it's as profitable as mining Ethereum on the GPU right now.

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2022, 02:45:03 PM

I would mine the Cuckoocylce algorithm aka Aeternity with gtx 1080 if I have one because it's as profitable as mining Ethereum on the GPU right now.
https://www.whattomine.com/gpus/35-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080?cost=0.05&cost_currency=USD&button=
58 cents profit in mining ethereum or 64 cents in mining a coin that is difficult to sell. Probably easier to mine ethereum and wait for a better price to sell.
Takyeon

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2022, 07:54:43 AM

If you are tired of Eth algorithm for your Gtx1080 graphic cards it's better to mine BitcoinZ instead because it's very close to Ethereum profit than Aeternity coin, ETH will net you 0.68$ per day while BitcoinZ will net you 0.60$ per day.
ThatOtherMiner

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 23, 2022, 11:36:16 AM

Hi I have the same card MSI 1080 TI Gaming X (PLUS) and I've been mining on it for years. As mentioned earlier here the hashrate slowly declines over time with the DAG size increasing. Because of that you also need different oc settings to achieve the best results. Old oc settings that focus on increasing the memory clock don't apply anymore. Nowadays it's best to leave the mem clock stock and slightly overclock the core but there is not a lot of room for improvement. Try +165 core, you can try to push it higher going in steps of 10 but your card wil probably start crashing from +190 and above. The sweet spot for the power setting for me used to be 67%, I think that's still the same.
34-35mh is probably as good as it can get nowadays.

I stopped mining ETH with that gpu, the efficiency of that card is more competitive on other algorithms like flux for instance (~0.29sol/w).
Currently I am mining FLUX with my 1080 using gminer on herominers pool (zero pool fees) with the following settings added to the batch file:
--pl 67 --fan 75 --mt 5 --cclock +125 --mclock +500
Mining stats: 42.0 Sol/s 146 W 0.29 Sol/W    47°c  75% fan speed 1683 core 5005 memory

I stopped using the ethlaregementpill because all the miners have it build in nowadays. Just test what mt/strap number gives you the best result.
Use afterburner to find the best oc settings but I can highly recommend adding the oc settings to the batch file, makes things much easier.

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2022, 01:31:00 PM

Ethereum mining on the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti video card has not been the most profitable for a long time. This can be checked in any mining calculator. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 also has, but there is not such a big difference in profit.
https://whattomine.com/gpus/36-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti?cost=0.1&cost_currency=USD
mastersrybnik (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2022, 10:29:13 PM

Hi I have the same card MSI 1080 TI Gaming X (PLUS) and I've been mining on it for years. As mentioned earlier here the hashrate slowly declines over time with the DAG size increasing. Because of that you also need different oc settings to achieve the best results. Old oc settings that focus on increasing the memory clock don't apply anymore. Nowadays it's best to leave the mem clock stock and slightly overclock the core but there is not a lot of room for improvement. Try +165 core, you can try to push it higher going in steps of 10 but your card wil probably start crashing from +190 and above. The sweet spot for the power setting for me used to be 67%, I think that's still the same.
34-35mh is probably as good as it can get nowadays.

I stopped mining ETH with that gpu, the efficiency of that card is more competitive on other algorithms like flux for instance (~0.29sol/w).
Currently I am mining FLUX with my 1080 using gminer on herominers pool (zero pool fees) with the following settings added to the batch file:
--pl 67 --fan 75 --mt 5 --cclock +125 --mclock +500
Mining stats: 42.0 Sol/s 146 W 0.29 Sol/W    47°c  75% fan speed 1683 core 5005 memory

I stopped using the ethlaregementpill because all the miners have it build in nowadays. Just test what mt/strap number gives you the best result.
Use afterburner to find the best oc settings but I can highly recommend adding the oc settings to the batch file, makes things much easier.

Its not the same card im afraid mine is not TI so this comparison is not 1 to 1.
I have already said that going above +135 on cclock is an instant MHS descrease by like 15% or crash.
I cannot use the inbuilt miner funcions instead of ethpill as I also said since when I try them card crashes the PC. Only options is to start mining for like 2-3 minutes and then run ethpill this is the only way I have made it work.

In general I prefer to keep mining ETH which 2minters exchanges for free into BTC since its just cheaper with smallish payouts like mine.

Thanks for the advice
Cuda911

Activity: 110
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 27, 2022, 06:56:00 AM

1080 graphic cards aren't a good choice for mining anymore, leave the old cards be for PC gamers because that's the best a 1080 graphic cards can do right now, they are still 1080p display champions.

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2022, 03:34:01 PM

1080 graphic cards aren't a good choice for mining anymore, leave the old cards be for PC gamers because that's the best a 1080 graphic cards can do right now, they are still 1080p display champions.
C.O.
May 2016 and May 2022 and the profit is the same. My price is $0.05 per kilowatt.

https://whattomine.com/gpus?cost=0.05&cost_currency=USD&button=&nvidia=true&amd=true&filter=all&sort=
In Hive OS, these video cards work fine for me, and I am very pleased with them.Problems for those who purchase new cards expensively.I don't recommend buying a GTX 1080 now, but I don't plan on selling mine just yet.
Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3114

View Profile
May 27, 2022, 03:58:16 PM

Thats not true , if you have a 1080Ti with 11 GB Ram its still a good card for mining for a few Algos.
I bought mine straight after the Card was released i guess 5 or 6 years ago or something around that time , and it still mine without any problems.
Depends what 1080 Versions you have for sure , and old Cards dont wanted anymore for PC Gamers , they want also the best and new cards.

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2022, 02:33:34 PM

Thats not true , if you have a 1080Ti with 11 GB Ram its still a good card for mining for a few Algos.
I bought mine straight after the Card was released i guess 5 or 6 years ago or something around that time , and it still mine without any problems.
Depends what 1080 Versions you have for sure , and old Cards dont wanted anymore for PC Gamers , they want also the best and new cards.
Not all gamers want to buy expensive graphics cards
For example RTX 3060 and GTX 1080 ti
https://technical.city/ru/video/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-protiv-GeForce-RTX-3060
The GTX 1080 ti is much better at gaming, according to the test results. I think that the problem is only in the price of the GTX 1080 ti.
Rikimaruu

Activity: 45
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 28, 2022, 04:30:22 PM

Many gamers dont care about new graphic cards, a 1080ti is still a beast of PC gaming till date, you only need to play graphical demanding titles in a lower resolution like 1080p, I am sure that the card can still push 40fps to 60fps easily at high graphic settings.

https://qenetex.com
🔵 Qenetex: non-custodial storage
✅ Find best exchange rates with Exchange Engine, up to 100 providers 🖥
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: