Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:06:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Level of Issues/ Troubles with MtGox  (Voting closed: December 15, 2011, 03:33:24 AM)
None at all - 18 (30.5%)
Very Little - 13 (22%)
More then a little but not enough to make me leave them - 3 (5.1%)
A lot but I am still with them - 9 (15.3%)
Piss on them, I am done with them - 13 (22%)
I have not ever used MtGox - 3 (5.1%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox Troubles  (Read 3252 times)
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 08:10:42 PM

I foolishly put 500 coins through Mt.Gox and withdrew the $1250 over two ago (26th November) knowing their Liberty Reserve transactions were slow and their web says it might take a maximum of two weeks.  Having waited the indicated two weeks I get this support reply:

Mt.Gox Support, Dec-12 09:59 (JST):
Hello Patrick,
Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we have no expected date for when Liberty Reserve withdrawals will be processed yet. We are working to add more funds to our Liberty Reserve account and will notify you once this has been done.

Funds have now arrived.  Not sure if it was result of the ticket, having a whinge here or just the time they got LR funds.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mt.Gox_Natalie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 01:42:13 AM

I foolishly put 500 coins through Mt.Gox and withdrew the $1250 over two ago (26th November) knowing their Liberty Reserve transactions were slow and their web says it might take a maximum of two weeks.  Having waited the indicated two weeks I get this support reply:

Mt.Gox Support, Dec-12 09:59 (JST):
Hello Patrick,
Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we have no expected date for when Liberty Reserve withdrawals will be processed yet. We are working to add more funds to our Liberty Reserve account and will notify you once this has been done.

Funds have now arrived.  Not sure if it was result of the ticket, having a whinge here or just the time they got LR funds.

Hello,

We are happy to hear that things are working out for you.  Paxum withdrawals are still working as well.  We have transferred more funds there since last Thursday.
unsquidly (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 04:19:06 AM

Ok....Update on this thread....I am finally able to log into my account and it loks like all funds have been recovered.....
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 11:51:13 PM

I have, had $1k stolen from my MtGox account (via BTC withdrawals).  I will never use them again and I recommend others use an exchange with better security.  MtGox is responsible for the great BTC crash and I can guarantee you it will happen again, and everyone will lose a shit load of money again.
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 03:08:28 AM

I have, had $1k stolen from my MtGox account (via BTC withdrawals).  I will never use them again and I recommend others use an exchange with better security.  MtGox is responsible for the great BTC crash and I can guarantee you it will happen again, and everyone will lose a shit load of money again.

Hi MSIN

We are sincerely very sorry to hear that you have been a victim of this kind of fraudulent activity. From the information we have it looks as though your private data was stolen and used to gain access to your account to change your password. You can contact us for more info.

Despite your belief, Mt.Gox has not been hacked in any way and trading on Mt.Gox is still safe/secure. The way in which your account was taken over proves this point (again, you can contact us for more details).

That all being said, regrettably, it is to late for us to do anything with respect to recovering your funds.

Besides general security tips (strong passwords, not clicking links in emails, not opening unfamiliar attachments) to try and avoid this from happening again, our only suggestion is to buy a Yubikey. If you are not familiar a Yubikey operates as a 2-factor, one time password and thus, will make your account impervious to these types of attacks as the attacker would require both your password and the physical key to gain entry. Us asking you to buy a Yubikey may seem like salt in the wound after you've been victimized like this, however it is our sincere suggestion that you get one if you continue on as our customer or even if you decide to join a different exchange.

We also hope that this experience will not turn you away from using bitcoin in the future.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 04:16:08 PM

Hi MSIN

We are sincerely very sorry to hear that you have been a victim of this kind of fraudulent activity. From the information we have it looks as though your private data was stolen and used to gain access to your account to change your password. You can contact us for more info.

Despite your belief, Mt.Gox has not been hacked in any way and trading on Mt.Gox is still safe/secure. The way in which your account was taken over proves this point (again, you can contact us for more details).

That all being said, regrettably, it is to late for us to do anything with respect to recovering your funds.

Besides general security tips (strong passwords, not clicking links in emails, not opening unfamiliar attachments) to try and avoid this from happening again, our only suggestion is to buy a Yubikey. If you are not familiar a Yubikey operates as a 2-factor, one time password and thus, will make your account impervious to these types of attacks as the attacker would require both your password and the physical key to gain entry. Us asking you to buy a Yubikey may seem like salt in the wound after you've been victimized like this, however it is our sincere suggestion that you get one if you continue on as our customer or even if you decide to join a different exchange.

We also hope that this experience will not turn you away from using bitcoin in the future.

Haha, okay, thanks for the tips!  You will be hacked again, it's just a matter of time before it happens and you cause another BTC crash.
Litt

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 09:44:53 PM

I think you'll be hacked again.  Roll Eyes

Seeing how you don't seem to want to learn from your own mistakes and not having taken all security measure possible for you such as yubikey, it seems likely.. Just saying..
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 10:31:01 PM

Seeing how you don't seem to want to learn from your own mistakes and not having taken all security measure possible for you such as yubikey, it seems likely.. Just saying..

So, what was the fundamental mistake msin made?  Do you expect people to obtain a physical key before creating an account?  Just curious.
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 01:10:29 AM

So, what was the fundamental mistake msin made?  Do you expect people to obtain a physical key before creating an account?  Just curious.

We are working on other alternatives to Yubikeys that provide the same amount of security at no cost for users. Meanwhile, we have given away many Yubikeys to people already and there are still some free codes around and we are expecting to give some more until other solutions are made available (Jan - Feb).

As for MSIN mistakes we cannot really tell here what's what, please understand that this is in order to protect both MSIN and others from anyone to find out what he (they) did wrong. But and this is good for anyone and everywhere not only on Mt.Gox : Make sure to have a STRONG password, do not uses Password generated on website you do not trust or do not know well enough, use a single password for EACH major sensitive websites you visits, be careful with Phishing website, have an up to date Anti Virus, have separate email accounts for separate sensitives website and if you uses hosted mail services like Gmail make sure to be in SSL and that your Gmail password is strong as well...

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
556j

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 09:22:08 AM

Sounds like he got phished (or similar), not Mt. Gox responsibility to protect users from their own incompetence.
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 08:09:25 PM

Sounds like he got phished (or similar), not Mt. Gox responsibility to protect users from their own incompetence.

The question was more posed to Litt who appeared to take a dismissive attitude to MSIN and their competence.  Yes, it could have been a phising email (I received one this morning from mthox.tk).  Perhaps the better question would be if MSIN has a record of his emails and could check - similar to another recent thread where someone acknowledged they were phished.

BTW - if someone wants to hack my MtGox a/c I have 0.89 BTC there - I don't trust them to hold funds, but that's just my opinion.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 08:16:14 PM

They want notarized documents now, lol. I have opened a few accounts with different brokerage firms in my life and I've never had such demands. Looks like mtgox is making bitcoins even harder to get than traditional financial assets. Very nice job.

I'm not sure what brokerage firms you are refering to but both my accounts at Scottrade and Merril Lynch required copies of my ID and most importantly, and unlike MtGox, my Social Security number...

The difference is, the information about what documents and steps were going to be required of you were available ahead of time with Scottrade. This "we are now requiring all your personal information to withdraw the money you already put in your account" is shady as hell.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 08:23:03 PM

They want notarized documents now, lol. I have opened a few accounts with different brokerage firms in my life and I've never had such demands. Looks like mtgox is making bitcoins even harder to get than traditional financial assets. Very nice job.

I'm not sure what brokerage firms you are refering to but both my accounts at Scottrade and Merril Lynch required copies of my ID and most importantly, and unlike MtGox, my Social Security number...

The difference is, the information about what documents and steps were going to be required of you were available ahead of time with Scottrade. This "we are now requiring all your personal information to withdraw the money you already put in your account" is shady as hell.

Aye, I cannot disagreee there. Any time I have given said information I had foreknowledge that it would be required before I ever sent the first dime.  This seems to be something that is needed to be addressed with almost all current Bitcoin services that handle our monies.  A simple 'AML' disclosure at sign up time would go a long way.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 10:12:09 PM

I understand and it seems to make sense...

However, sometimes even your Bank will require additional information prior to withdrawals... CC companies, when a fraud alert is triggered, will  also require further information.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 10:20:26 PM

I understand and it seems to make sense...

However, sometimes even your Bank will require additional information prior to withdrawals... CC companies, when a fraud alert is triggered, will  also require further information.

Of course. But again, with banks and credit card companies, the details of all these situations and what's required of you are detailed up front, before you do business.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: