Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:22:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Source Bitcoin ASIC miner project that uses 2x BM1387 (Antminer S9)  (Read 4137 times)
Skot

Activity: 212
Merit: 241

bitaxe.org

View Profile
June 29, 2022, 07:52:12 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2022, 08:05:08 PM by Skot
Merited by o_solo_miner (2), vapourminer (1)

If you still are only using the USB connection for supplying power yer gonna have problems as the connectors simply cannot handle enough current to power the chips. The absolute max current rating for USB-A connectors is 3.1A and even that is intended to only be for a short time - not 24x7.

I don't think USB is suitable for power in this case. Data perhaps, but we need something much beefier for power. The spade connectors I've got on the bitaxe v2 now seem to be working pretty well.

My goal is to eventually have this powered by solar panels directly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_solo_miner
Legendary

Activity: 2446
Merit: 1476

-> morgen, ist heute, schon gestern <-

View Profile
June 30, 2022, 03:53:36 PM

Hi Skot,
thank you for sharing this with us.
I liked your 5x5 design of the pic pcb, so nice to see it now with an asic.

from the creator of CGMiner http://solo.ckpool.org for Solominers
paused: passthrough for solo.ckpool.org => stratum+tcp://rfpool.org:3334
Cyl0nius

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2022, 10:47:21 AM

Hi Skot,

I hope for a stand-alone-solo-miner with Esp32 as front-end.
Skot

bitaxe.org

View Profile
July 06, 2022, 09:45:50 PM

Hi Skot,
I liked your 5x5 design of the pic pcb, so nice to see it now with an asic.

Wow! That 5x5 PIC design is from 11 years ago. I'm much better at designing PCBs now, I promise! Smiley
Skot

bitaxe.org

View Profile
July 06, 2022, 09:55:20 PM

That is the plan! Hopefully soon I can get something working.

Although I'm tempted to use the new Raspberry Pi Pico W (https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-pico-w-your-6-iot-platform/) instead of the ESP32
marshall3416

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2022, 01:53:48 PM

good for you
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
July 30, 2022, 12:01:18 PM

nice to see something as
opensource hardware project Smiley

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2022, 11:43:30 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

Although I'm tempted to use the new Raspberry Pi Pico W (https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-pico-w-your-6-iot-platform/) instead of the ESP32
Hey Skot! I came up with a similar idea at the start of the year and had PCBs manufactured, but only recently got around to putting them together.
Compared to your design, it's a complete breakout board that provides access to all pins in 0.1" format, as I thought better having too many broken out pins than too few.

Anyhow; you beat me to uploading the whole thing and testing it out. Good job; I read that it's already working quite well, so far.
However I'm wondering what you use to supply the 0.8V at probably around 10A that those 2 chips should be pulling. My next step would have been to design a buck converter circuit. Do you just use a lab bench power supply?

I'm definitely interested in collaborating to maybe make this into a compact USB miner with integrated FTDI chip and buck converter (I have a lot of unused slots in my GekkoScience USB hub.. Wink).
Otherwise, I can see a pod miner with more than 2 chips being interesting, too, maybe targeting 95W so a standard quiet CPU heatsink could be used.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of sidehack's work / GekkoScience and don't think such an open source project is going to compete with them. For one, their flagship Compac F is much more efficient and much faster, and also it's a ready-to-go product. These are PCB files that users have to get produced themselves and get to work soldering them, too.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
August 30, 2022, 10:30:40 AM

I really wanna make an ASC tester out of these does anybody have a lead on a zif socket that will work(Maybe I need to go to Reddit do this)?

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
n0nce

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2022, 11:14:23 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I really wanna make an ASC tester out of these does anybody have a lead on a zif socket that will work(Maybe I need to go to Reddit do this)?
You mean ASIC tester? Like, for testing malfunctioning S9 hashboards or something like that?
How do you envision putting an SMD component into a ZIF socket?

For testing ASIC chips from an S9, I would recommend just getting some of these PCBs manufactured and soldering the ASICS to them, temporarily. There are no 'clip in' type sockets for these chips as they have a custom pin spacing and power requirements (huge non-standard power pads underneath themselves).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 30, 2022, 11:51:18 PM

You can find sockets on aliexpress for around $300 but they won't handle heat very well without modification.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
August 31, 2022, 04:23:13 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2022, 06:35:08 PM by MinerMEDIC
Merited by vapourminer (3), NotFuzzyWarm (2)

You can find sockets on aliexpress for around $300 but they won't handle heat very well without modification.
Maybe you can but while I’m no idiot I certainly have had zero luck. Can I bother you for something a little more concrete?
You mean ASIC tester? Like, for testing malfunctioning S9 hashboards or something like that?
How do you envision putting an SMD component into a ZIF socket?

For testing ASIC chips from an S9, I would recommend just getting some of these PCBs manufactured and soldering the ASICS to them, temporarily. There are no 'clip in' type sockets for these chips as they have a custom pin spacing and power requirements (huge non-standard power pads underneath themselves).
ASICs are what we call Bottom terminated components (BTC lol), Bitmain’s chips are also a bastardized version or cross between a DFN and an LGA. in fact Intel may already have an LGA socket with the pins just right(angles &pitch), you just have to figure out which ones will be connecting to something and which ones aren’t, haven’t had time to go down that rabbit hole very far. But to answer your question, basically it will look like an LGA CPU socket. Just a lot less pins. Some factors which make you our suggestion problematic: the time it takes to Properly prep chip(and lands) for placement make testing more than a few an hour impractical, also The number of times a chip can be reworked as a finite number, you don’t want to place your Nice just-tested asic only to discover later it’s last useful reflow was used up in the tester(The IPC guideline is twice).

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
paid2

Activity: 672
Merit: 2050

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2022, 09:00:56 PM

Hey Skot

I have a lot of used S9k boards, with a lot of components in my basement. If you need some, send me a DM and will sent it for you for free if you need some parts for testing

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Skot

bitaxe.org

View Profile
September 07, 2022, 08:32:32 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2022, 06:00:14 PM by Skot

Hey Skot! I came up with a similar idea at the start of the year and had PCBs manufactured, but only recently got around to putting them together.
Compared to your design, it's a complete breakout board that provides access to all pins in 0.1" format, as I thought better having too many broken out pins than too few.

Anyhow; you beat me to uploading the whole thing and testing it out. Good job; I read that it's already working quite well, so far.
However I'm wondering what you use to supply the 0.8V at probably around 10A that those 2 chips should be pulling. My next step would have been to design a buck converter circuit. Do you just use a lab bench power supply?

I'm definitely interested in collaborating to maybe make this into a compact USB miner with integrated FTDI chip and buck converter (I have a lot of unused slots in my GekkoScience USB hub.. Wink).
Otherwise, I can see a pod miner with more than 2 chips being interesting, too, maybe targeting 95W so a standard quiet CPU heatsink could be used.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of sidehack's work / GekkoScience and don't think such an open source project is going to compete with them. For one, their flagship Compac F is much more efficient and much faster, and also it's a ready-to-go product. These are PCB files that users have to get produced themselves and get to work soldering them, too.

Hey n0nce!

that PCB looks good! it's cool to see more people doing this. Were you able to get the BM1387 pin pitch right?

For now I have just been using a cheapo adjustable power supply from Amazon. You're right, an onboard buck converter is the way to go. Unfortunately they're a little hard to come by these days with the chip shortage. I did a test with the MAX20499 (https://github.com/skot/MAX20499_breakout) but then I realized Maxim won't give the full datasheet to plebs. Still looking for a better part. the TPS51219 on the Newpac is completely out of stock.

I want to experiment with offloading everything that cgminer does (fetching work via stratum and rolling the extranonce) to an onboard microcontroller in a pod miner setup. I've started with an ESP32 so I can connect over WiFi too. (https://github.com/skot/bitaxe/tree/max). Pair that all with a power supply suitable for solar and you could just litter your roof with these things Smiley

Is there a "standard" CPU heatsink with fan? I looked around at these but couldn't really come up with anything. It seems like the economies of scale with the whole PC water-cooling scene could be useful here.
Skot

bitaxe.org

View Profile
September 07, 2022, 08:34:10 PM

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803866230304.html
Skot

bitaxe.org

View Profile
September 07, 2022, 08:47:23 PM

Hey Skot

I have a lot of used S9k boards, with a lot of components in my basement. If you need some, send me a DM and will sent it for you for free if you need some parts for testing

Apparently I can't DM you. Anyways, thanks for the super kind offer! I don't need any HW at the moment, but I'll hit you up if that changes.

thanks again,
Skot
n0nce

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2022, 10:18:00 PM
Merited by vapourminer (6)

Hey n0nce!

that PCB looks good! it's cool to see more people doing this. Were you able to get the BM1387 pin pitch right?
Thanks; it should also allow to mount a heatsink with thermal cement or adhesive thermal pads, if the pin headers are soldered on the bottom (or the heatsink fits in between them). I just thought for early tests like figuring out the pinout and which passive components to connect where, even a piece of copper clamped to it should suffice.
I did consider adding holes for a northbridge heatsink like you, though!

Regarding the pitch; I actually found a BM1387 footprint / component in https://easyeda.com/editor and crossed my fingers that it's correct (it is).

For now I have just been using a cheapo adjustable power supply from Amazon. You're right, an onboard buck converter is the way to go. Unfortunately they're a little hard to come by these days with the chip shortage. I did a test with the MAX20499 (https://github.com/skot/MAX20499_breakout) but then I realized Maxim won't give the full datasheet to plebs. Still looking for a better part. the TPS51219 on the Newpac is completely out of stock.
You mean a lab bench power supply or a random prebuilt buck converter? And just to clarify: you do have 1.8V regulators on-board, too, right?
As for the main step-down regulator, I actually envisioned building my own synchronous buck converter using a buck controller and two MOSFETS, just like GekkoScience.

As you noticed, GekkoScience / sidehack, uses a https://www.ti.com/product/TPS51219, which is a buck controller. It just controls two MOSFETS in a synchronous buck converter configuration, like this. The MOSFETS are in place of the switches and the controller is not shown here; it controls the timing to achieve the right output voltage.
Yup, he uses a synchronous buck controller IC together with 2 mosfets.
Looks something like this. They are switched on and off by the controller, which creates accurate timings to achieve the required duty cycle and thus output voltage.

I don't think that integrated (single chip) buck converters exist with the types of power we need to push and the efficiency required. For instance, a linear regulator going from 5V, 3A to 0.5V, 30A would go up in smoke immediately.

I want to experiment with offloading everything that cgminer does (fetching work via stratum and rolling the extranonce) to an onboard microcontroller in a pod miner setup. I've started with an ESP32 so I can connect over WiFi too. (https://github.com/skot/bitaxe/tree/pro). Pair that all with a power supply suitable for solar and you could just litter your roof with these things Smiley
That sounds like a cool idea, hadn't thought of that! Making a more standalone, pod-format device sounds great to me. I'd just personally focus more on the power supply first and getting my breakout running; feel free to work on the ESP stuff - then we can merge everything. Wink

Is there a "standard" CPU heatsink with fan? I looked around at these but couldn't really come up with anything. It seems like the economies of scale with the whole PC water-cooling scene could be useful here.
Well I meant standard in the sense of 'Intel LGA 1151' or 'AMD AM4' - if we replicate their hole spacing and copper area, it would be possible to just take a box-standard thing like this:
https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rocc-16003/p/N82E16835200114

They can easily cool 100W, only downside is pretty small copper area. So the ASICs will need to be very close and amount of chips per cooler would be space-limited.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2509

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 08, 2022, 12:04:10 AM
Last edit: September 08, 2022, 12:17:55 AM by NotFuzzyWarm
Merited by n0nce (4), vapourminer (3)

I want to experiment with offloading everything that cgminer does (fetching work via stratum and rolling the extranonce) to an onboard microcontroller in a pod miner setup. I've started with an ESP32 so I can connect over WiFi too. (https://github.com/skot/bitaxe/tree/pro). Pair that all with a power supply suitable for solar and you could just litter your roof with these things Smiley

Ja as I pointed out in the thread in Development & Technical Discussion thread using on-board Vcore regulator is a must. At the low voltage and high currents involved only a properly bypassed bolted cable connection with remote sensing would work when using an external low voltage PSU. Any other kind of connector will simply have too much voltage drop unless it's huge and - be way too expensive.
TI has several good links regarding proper Vcore regulator design that I posted in that above link along with Those TI links also giving parts sourcing and availability links.

As for finding parts & sourcing them - use Octopart They link to every reputable component mfgr on the planet to show current and historical parts availability, full data sheets, Factory Approved distributors, 3D component models, etc.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
developeralgo

Activity: 63
Merit: 72

View Profile
October 11, 2022, 02:43:26 PM

Since my electronics soldering capabilities are limited. Is it possible to order for the manufacture BitAXE Max/Pro PCB + Assembly of all the parts using JLCPCB or PCBWay ? if yes please can you provide some details how to do go about accomplishing that. I am able to order the PCB manufactured without much hassle. I can source  almost all the parts from JCLPCB plus others but the BM1397 chips from AliExpress.

I would like to have the PCB + Assembly of all parts done by JCLPCB or PCBWay is that possible ? so that i just receive the complete unit that i can plug and test 
n0nce

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2022, 11:23:35 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Since my electronics soldering capabilities are limited. Is it possible to order for the manufacture BitAXE Max/Pro PCB + Assembly of all the parts using JLCPCB or PCBWay ? if yes please can you provide some details how to do go about accomplishing that. I am able to order the PCB manufactured without much hassle. I can source  almost all the parts from JCLPCB plus others but the BM1397 chips from AliExpress.

I would like to have the PCB + Assembly of all parts done by JCLPCB or PCBWay is that possible ? so that i just receive the complete unit that i can plug and test 
For the PCB and passive components you can have that done by those services by just uploading the Gerber files and clicking the box for the 'SMT service / assembly'. It only works for parts they stock, though - which doesn't include ASIC chips.
As far as I know, we both soldered our BM1397's ourselves with some hot air; not too hard.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████