Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:05:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ... and then they fight you ....  (Read 1257 times)
joecooin (OP)

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 11:33:59 PM

I refer to Gandhi's explanation of the steps it takes to change a paradigm:

„First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you and the you win.“

Wherever I was speaking recently I mentioned that I do have the feeling that we are approaching the end of the 'then they ridicule you'-phase. I concluded this from many observations I made recently, like a change in how media are treating us (I was in the last weeks able to dictate the conditions of interviews to what I conseider hostile media like WSJ) or the calming down of the  rethorics of other very hostile groups (even gold-bugs quietly stopped calling Bitcoin a ponzi and laughing at Bitcoin enthusiasts as idiots).

And I said that if I am right the next phase will be much tougher as it will be the 'then they fight you' one.

With the recent IRS-ruling I believe we have just entered that fight.

Implying that the people at the IRS have got some kind of brain it is clearthat  they must know that if those rules would be applied and obeyed to, Bitcoin a a currency would be as dead as Simbabwian Dollars.

There is no way they do not understand this. Interestingly, they can only play that card when they believe that other countries will follow their guidance because otherwise the only result of this would be a flight of innovation and growth to those other jurisdictions, which I do not believe they would risk.

Interesting times ahead.

Joe

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 01:16:54 AM

Yep, and then you win.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:44:16 AM

...and then we run away and play with doggie coins?   Cheesy

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:50:15 AM

Thanks alot for the reminder I needed that and I was just posting about how the road where on but where in the lead of this race. Prepare for many obstacles hodl on tight.
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 05:01:28 AM

i agree we are in the fight you phase with the irs ruling

it will be a dirty fight

godspeed bitcoin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Zimbabwecoin

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 05:13:42 AM

What is a Simbabwian Dollar? It does not sound good.

Planning to launch Zimbabwecoin in the future. Focused on building a community around it now.
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:36:21 AM

Reality ain't slogans.

It's usually, "They ignore you, they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you GET FUCKED"

It's only a slogan until someone influential and down to earth (as in not another loud mouth cryptojesus) champions the cause. So far, crypto community resembles bore teenagers with delusions of strippers and coke rather than something to take seriously.

You brought this upon yourselves. Change your tunes first, and then maybe we can see 10k USD per BTC by the end of this year and actually make the mainstream society and finances take the idea of crypto seriously.

Beliathon

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 08:15:08 AM

It's usually, "They ignore you, they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you GET FUCKED"
Just like we fucked the copywrong establishment by inventing the torrent, the creators of the world have REALLY fucked the oligarchs now, by inventing a superior form of money.

So who's getting fucked again? Not us.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 09:01:09 AM

If people would stop calling bitcoin a currency and market it as a protocol, a technology, we wouldn't have had all these bans. Governments freak out when they hear the word currency.

I'm speaking from personal experience discussing bitcoin with high level government officials.

Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 11:40:44 AM

Just like we fucked the copywrong establishment by inventing the torrent, the creators of the world have REALLY fucked the oligarchs now, by inventing a superior form of money.

So who's getting fucked again? Not us.

Until they decide to torrent YOUR work Smiley

Internet has been reigned in, and we hear less and less of the hype and craze of the 90s when everyone was envisioning a net-revolution.

Funny how you delude yourselves with petty sense of 'victory' while the powers that be are laughing at your masturbatory delusions Cheesy

To be taken seriously, you need to directly challenge the existing system with something that actually has merit. You are like a stripper stepping into the general population in Pelican Bay with a stupid smile on your face while preaching female rights.

Crypto's main fault is not so much within its technical aspects (there is no perfect innovation - crypto will also have to undergo its own kind of evolution to achieve acceptance in mainstream public), as people like you who have no sense of what it takes to actually make a real difference. As in, not something that will be reigned in and leashed. Sure torrents are 'free'. Not the people behind it by long shot Smiley

Want to be taken seriously? Check yourself and stop bitching with slogans that you never gave a shit about.
bananahoho

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:11:09 PM

If people would stop calling bitcoin a currency and market it as a protocol, a technology, we wouldn't have had all these bans. Governments freak out when they hear the word currency.

I'm speaking from personal experience discussing bitcoin with high level government officials.
Pretty high your position.You can discussing bitcoin with high level government officials.but what you said is true?
Noruka

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:34:25 PM

holy moley people. Just find ways to spend your coins without them ever touching any fiat that goes into an account. You can spend at least half of your monthly expenses by getting pay cards and things of that nature with mined coins. If everyone just played smart, minimized how much store of value they kept in fiat as much as possible then we would be in a better position.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 09:35:49 PM

Actual people haven't been calling bitcoin a currency; quite the contrary. As usual, though, listening to masses in general as though thoughtless parroting constitutes fact is bound to end badly.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
twiifm

Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:21:04 PM

I agree.  Crypto has a great potential as a technology.  But bitcoin community has too much of an anarchist angst image.  All the anti-bank & anti-govt talk makes it look childish.  

The anarchists/ libertarians think bankers or govt fear them cause they represent something revolutionary.  What a joke.  They laugh at them like I laugh at crazy proselytizing nut jobs on the street.  These vocals proponents give bitcoin & crypto a bad image and that is a real barrier to mass acceptance and adoption.

Personally I think bitcoin makes a terrible currency because of the deflationary design & decentralized nature of its issuance.  I don't even consider it money in an economistic sense. However, I think the block chain concept is extremely innovative and has many potential for verifying transmission.  To transmit what I don't know.
The Avenger

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:26:47 PM

So so true. People really need to start describing bitcoin as a payment protocol. Then the idiots would leave us alone, as that would be "too technical" for them. Describe it as a currency and they think "tax" and "regulation" and "sounds financial - who do we go to for our backhanders?"

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:34:36 PM

...and then we run away and play with doggie coins?   Cheesy

Which I will not make the mistake of underestimating.  Great ideas and execution are much more important than great tech (VHS vs Beta) The silly little doge is biting the competition on the ass. 

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: