Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:45:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Phoenix Miner turns TV signal to static  (Read 1767 times)
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 04:17:01 AM

I've never heard of this happening and I failed to find any similar incident over the course of several searches. Anyway, here's what I can tell you. I have two mining rigs in the same room as my LCD-TV. Just earlier today, I upgraded my TV service from basic to digital HD service. I added the HD cable service with the same company which has provided my 10Mbit cable internet for almost a decade now, without any incident I might add. So anyway, this morning I connected the digital HD box to the LCD-TV and everything has been working fine, until only a few minutes back when I fired up the second mining rig. Doing so instantly scrambled the television signal into total static. This only happens when turning on the second mining rig - the other rig has been running all day without incident, while the other rig I started up for the first time today only a few minutes back. The only thing that seems possibly relevant is the fact that the TV, digital box, and the meddlesome mining rig all share a power strip, while the mining rig that has been going all day without incident is on its own power strip (along with monitor, speakers, and an ethernet switch) from a completely different outlet. The problematic rig runs headless, so it's the only other thing plugged into the strip besides the TV and cable tuner. The only other relevant information that I can think to add right now would be that the problematic mining box is running two 5830 cards, while the trouble-free rig runs two 5970s.

This seemed really strange to me. I hope someone familiar with this type of issue can point me in the right direction. I haven't tried any troubleshooting yet in the hopes that I can find the solution on the net. I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 04:22:39 AM

Sometimes when turning off my kitchen light...it makes the screen on my mining rig monitor go black/blank for 3 seconds or so.  Only happens when I'm playing on PS3 though...I use this same monitor to switch back and forth from the desktop (DVI) to the PS3 (HDMI).  Doesn't happen when the PS3 is off/viewing PC via DVI.

I wonder if the rig is using too much power and the cable box then isn't getting enough.  No clue.
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 04:37:32 AM

Sometimes when turning off my kitchen light...it makes the screen on my mining rig monitor go black/blank for 3 seconds or so.  Only happens when I'm playing on PS3 though...I use this same monitor to switch back and forth from the desktop (DVI) to the PS3 (HDMI).  Doesn't happen when the PS3 is off/viewing PC via DVI.

I wonder if the rig is using too much power and the cable box then isn't getting enough.  No clue.

That reminds me of how the light fixture in the ceiling of this room will start to flicker when both rigs are running at full power. So maybe it is some type of power issue at hand after all? FYI my Kill-A-Watt has the 2x5970 rig ~850w at full load and the 2x5830 rig which is causing the TV issues at ~500w. Also, I usually run a third mITX box equipped with a 5770 (full load @ ~300w at the very most) in headless mode in this room as well, although I haven't run it since the HD tuner was added this morning.

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip
dark_st3alth

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 04:46:50 AM

Yea, it would seem to be a power issue your having there.
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 10:49:40 AM

I think your mining rig is possessed by a demon. Just slowly back out of the house. Find an exorcist, and bring it back to fix your mining rig. If you let it be... It will only get worse... Wink

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 02:29:41 PM

I'm wondering how you managed not to flip your breaker.  You can only run four, maybe five cards on a single 20 amp breaker.  Try spreading your machines around the house, if you get them on different breakers it may solve your problem.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:09:53 PM

Time to call the Ghostbusters

broken

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 01:20:53 PM

Does your computer have a infrared-interface? I had a notebook once with a infrared-interface, that turned on my tv randomly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: