Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:15:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i find my wallet.dat on my linuxcoin USB drive?  (Read 934 times)
jjshabadoo (OP)

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 04:57:56 AM

I'm using the linuxcoin version just before final and pulled the drive that contained all files. I ran the bitcoin client initially before I knew what i was doing and it generated an address. I used this address with my mining pool and they have sent a few coins. Now when i generated the address, I never let the entire blockchain download, etc. So since i first generated the address, i have done nothing else until now. So now I want to receive the coins on a new computer and load the wallet file to this new computer which is windows 7.

Am i screwed? I don't see any bitcoin files on the linuxcoin USB at all.

Thanks.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ovidiusoft

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 08:42:58 AM

On Linux, the wallet file is stored in your home directory, in the hidden directory .bitcoin (it starts with a dot). So the full path is /home/user/.bitcoin/wallet.dat .

If you used LinuxCoin with the 'persistent' option, your data is still safe on the USB. Start LinuxCoin, open the file manager and browse to that directory. If you don't see it, it's possible that hidden files are not displayed, look in the options (i think right click > show hidden files should work). You should be able to copy the file to the root of the USB or send it attached by email, and so on...

If you didn't have persistence, I think the data is lost. Sorry.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: