Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:42:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stacks Bowers Again - Summer auction  (Read 825 times)
Steeley (OP)

Activity: 1123
Merit: 265

Byzantine Generals' Problem solved,Prosperity Next

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 06:10:32 PM

This is a great discussion. Microsoul coins are important to the hobby and should be traded freely, but the issues exist and the hobby is still in early adoption with many unaware would be buyers.

Beware of scammers. I will never discuss the sale of Collectibles on Telegram or any other messaging client outside the forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SatsLife

Activity: 794
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2022, 06:48:09 PM
Merited by krogothmanhattan (1), ChiBitCTy (1)

I agree with Chi. I'd even go as far to say that no coin makers that ever had issues redeeming their coins should be offered. Is Stacks and Bowers aware of the potential issues?

Not making people aware of the potential issues does a huge disservice to the likes of casascius premiums and other high quality coins and makers, not to mention the winning bidders of these microsoul coins.

thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 09, 2022, 03:08:17 PM

...Microsoul effectively "recalled" coins in late 2017, asking people to peel the coins and offering DIY sticker replacements...

This sets off alarm bells for me if Microsoul was sending out sticker replacements. Is there a link to that please? I'd like to know if those labels were clearly marked as 'DIY' and that it is not possible to confuse them with the stickers concealing Gravitate-generated private keys.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
October 09, 2022, 04:27:01 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2022, 04:43:49 PM by owlcatz

This sets off alarm bells for me if Microsoul was sending out sticker replacements. Is there a link to that please? I'd like to know if those labels were clearly marked as 'DIY' and that it is not possible to confuse them with the stickers concealing Gravitate-generated private keys.

I think it kind of started here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2055992.0

& here's where Matthew went bonkers and off the deep end before disappearing.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2136007.msg21360387#msg21360387

It's worth noting - I actually met Matthew/Gravitate at Coinfest UK 2018 - Once introduced to him as being "owlcatz", He then asked me if I was going to bash him in the head with my pint of beer LOL... (Half-seriously even)! Cheesy  

He was also sort of "in disguise", meaning he was using a walker and pretending to be ill, he also looked quite different than the pics floating around of him on the internet - Anyways, He was there promoting some other scam coin I forgot the name of, presenting it under the just the billed name "Matthew", (most others there were using full names ofc) Roll Eyes and we happened to figure it out it was him once we got there... I was with Lesbian Cow, Zepher and I Think BG4 at the time, so they can also attest to this funny interaction... I wish I had recorded it now it was fuckin hilarious... Cheesy

The histories of some of these coin makers is quite surprising once you dig deeper... Even CI had scam accusations against him after being caught using an alt to bid/win his own auctions... Huh

Edit - I do trust CI's coins for the most part, I don't think Pedro is a scammer, people know his full name etc etc.. And also no issues with his coins whatsoever, so I think he just learned a tough lesson in the long run... IDK... Huh

Edit 2 - I had completely forgot about this scam rating I left Gravitate ... Jesus... What a nut-job...  https://archive.ph/LUz5E

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
thoughtfan

View Profile
October 09, 2022, 05:13:00 PM

I think it kind of started here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2055992.0

& here's where Matthew went bonkers and off the deep end before disappearing.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2136007.msg21360387#msg21360387

It's worth noting - I actually met Matthew/Gravitate at Coinfest UK 2018 - Once introduced to him as being "owlcatz", He then asked me if I was going to bash him in the head with my pint of beer LOL... (Half-seriously even)! Cheesy  

He was also sort of "in disguise", meaning he was using a walker and pretending to be ill, he also looked quite different than the pics floating around of him on the internet - Anyways, He was there promoting some other scam coin I forgot the name of, presenting it under the just the billed name "Matthew", (most others there were using full names ofc) Roll Eyes and we happened to figure it out it was him once we got there... I was with Lesbian Cow, Zepher and I Think BG4 at the time, so they can also attest to this funny interaction... I wish I had recorded it now it was fuckin hilarious... Cheesy

The histories of some of these coin makers is quite surprising once you dig deeper... Even CI had scam accusations against him after being caught using an alt to bid/win his own auctions... Huh

Edit - I do trust CI's coins for the most part, I don't think Pedro is a scammer, people know his full name etc etc.. And also no issues with his coins whatsoever, so I think he just learned a tough lesson in the long run... IDK... Huh

Thanks owlcatz, the context helps a lot. So the guy declares a 'legal contract' that recommends everyone redeem their coins immediately and claims that this 'contract' absolves him of any responsibility as to whether or not his coins are funded! In that mindset, I can't see it would have been a high priority for him consider the security implications of ensuring the stickers he was offering to give away would be clearly distinguishable from the stickers he himself used to protect the private keys on the coins he issued. So unless anyone can confirm otherwise, I guess the safest assumption to make is that some Microsoul coins out there may have been funded by any randomers with coins and stickers and who may have retained the private keys?
thoughtfan

View Profile
October 10, 2022, 06:32:07 PM
Merited by minerjones (1), krogothmanhattan (1), 2stout (1)

Stacks Bowers Microsoul coins listings update

I am pleased to report Stacks withdrew the three Microsoul coins from the November auction. They are no longer on the website auction listing  Smiley

I do acknowledge and understand that there are some who were pleased to see them included. However, as I will explain in a thread of its own, the matter of the mixed response to these coins within the community is of concern to me and I think it is in everyone's interest that the market for compromised-brand coins be as limited and minimal as possible. Personally, I am in no doubt that their exclusion is good for physical crypto in the longer term.
SatsLife

Activity: 794
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2022, 06:44:18 PM

Stacks Bowers Microsoul coins listings update

I am pleased to report Stacks withdrew the three Microsoul coins from the November auction. They are no longer on the website auction listing  Smiley

I do acknowledge and understand that there are some who were pleased to see them included. However, as I will explain in a thread of its own, the matter of the mixed response to these coins within the community is of concern to me and I think it is in everyone's interest that the market for compromised-brand coins be as limited and minimal as possible. Personally, I am in no doubt that their exclusion is good for physical crypto in the longer term.

This is great news! Thanks for the update

Steeley (OP)

Activity: 1123
Merit: 265

Byzantine Generals' Problem solved,Prosperity Next

View Profile
October 10, 2022, 07:55:49 PM

Thoughtfan,

Very wise move. I think in the future, with a sophisticated collecting base outside of the forum, there will be an understanding of the history for these coins. In that context they are coins well worth selling and collecting. However, the potential damage to the hobby from newbies buying a compromised collectible is risky now, especially as Stacks Bowers establishes their offerings of physical bitcoins. I applaud your decision and am a little sad these great Microsoul coins have this stink on them, they are all great collectibles.

Beware of scammers. I will never discuss the sale of Collectibles on Telegram or any other messaging client outside the forum.
thoughtfan

View Profile
October 11, 2022, 05:33:33 AM

Thoughtfan,

Very wise move. I think in the future, with a sophisticated collecting base outside of the forum, there will be an understanding of the history for these coins. In that context they are coins well worth selling and collecting. However, the potential damage to the hobby from newbies buying a compromised collectible is risky now, especially as Stacks Bowers establishes their offerings of physical bitcoins. I applaud your decision and am a little sad these great Microsoul coins have this stink on them, they are all great collectibles.

Hi Steely, Satslife and those who gave me merit.

Just to be clear, whilst I appreciate your expressions of thanks, I am am not, neither do I represent Stacks Bowers. I was the messenger and don't deserve the praise as I wouldn't deserve to be shot if it were bad news I were delivering! Not that I'm throwing it back into your face - I'll take it anyway with thanks Cheesy
henkcryptotank

Activity: 721
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 11, 2022, 08:48:37 AM

Seems like the best move to me. Better safe then sorry especially during this stage of BTC collectibles becoming more mainstream.

Greets Hank
Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1752

View Profile
October 11, 2022, 11:44:03 AM

Stacks Bowers did the right thing here, top job!

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: