Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:19:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the *stable price of BTC leading to increased sales?  (Read 1285 times)
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 02:58:17 PM

This is a question for retailers and service providers within the bitcoin economy. Now that $3 has been relatively stable for a while now, are peers spending some of their coin or is holding for speculation still as strong as ever?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chickenado

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 03:12:23 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2011, 03:44:06 PM by chickenado

This is a question for retailers and service providers within the bitcoin economy. Now that $3 has been relatively stable for a while now, are peers spending some of their coin or is holding for speculation still as strong as ever?

Rationally speaking, this is a false dichotomy.  If I am holding bitcoin for speculation, and at the same time I want to buy some stuff with bitcoin, nothing prevents me from buying more bitcoin just for spending. This will not affect my savings stash.

This dichotomy would only be true if I had almost all my liquid wealth in bitcoin, which isn't true for most people at the moment.

Emotionally speaking it's a different story... I think that there are a few people who are so consumed by greed that they forgo purchases paid in bitcoin.  But I don't think this effect is huge.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2011, 03:16:43 PM

Emotionally speaking it's a different story... I think that there are a few people who are so consumed by greed that they forgo purchases paid in bitcoin.  But I don't think this effect is huge.

I don't think its huge....

its gargantuan.  Sad
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 03:33:16 PM

According to the merchants when the price of Bitcoin was increasing, meaning that prices were deflationary in bitcoins, the sales were increasing. When the price of bitcoins came down, therefore prices in bitcoins were inflationary sales were going down. So in past experience what we have seen is deflation = increase of sales, inflation = decrease of sales.

My guess is that people were taking advantage the increasing purchasing power of Bitcoin. Well see how it goes in the future.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 03:46:03 PM

Interesting comments all. I was just wondering if there was any correlation. I found myself spending a little more now that I can replace my spent coins for about the same cost. I guess it's just me. Tongue

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 11:13:00 PM

According to the merchants when the price of Bitcoin was increasing, meaning that prices were deflationary in bitcoins, the sales were increasing. When the price of bitcoins came down, therefore prices in bitcoins were inflationary sales were going down. So in past experience what we have seen is deflation = increase of sales, inflation = decrease of sales.

My guess is that people were taking advantage the increasing purchasing power of Bitcoin. Well see how it goes in the future.

But isn't this a deflationary spiral? I thought everyone was supposed to stop spending because the value of their money was going up?
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 11:18:09 PM

Emotionally speaking it's a different story... I think that there are a few people who are so consumed by greed that they forgo purchases paid in bitcoin.  But I don't think this effect is huge.

I don't think its huge....

its gargantuan.  Sad

Actually, it IS huge.

I do not treat BTC and money the same, and it's purely psychological.

I would rather spend $5 than 1 BTC on the same item, even if that 1 BTC is worth $3 USD.  I think it has something to do with the possibility that the price of the BTC that I would then re-buy may go down.  It's like a collectible.  And it's the dumbest logic in the world.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2011, 11:56:38 PM

But isn't this a deflationary spiral? I thought everyone was supposed to stop spending because the value of their money was going up?
It's not that simple. There are many factors involved. The main reason people spend more bitcoins when the price is going up is that those times we are getting more new users. And new users spend Bitcoins because it's something they haven't tried before, it's a new technology to play with. Once you get used to them, your reasons for spending them change. This is why the rising value of bitcoins will never be an issue, the negative effects of deflation are countered by the interest new people have in trying out Bitcoin.

And even the people who have incentives to save bitcoins will spend them if they decide they actually need something. Also the value of their coins rising might allow them to purchase something they couldn't purchase in the past because they didn't have enough. Also it's important to remember that eventually bitcoins will have a fixed money supply and then the value will be close to fixed unless the amount of users change. More users mean the demand for bitcoins is higher and the price goes up, if it's losing users then the value goes down etc. If the userbase is fairly fixed, so is Bitcoin's price.

Of course this doesn't take into account currency speculation but that is a separate issue that affects all currencies equally. The effect speculation has on the price will decrease as well the bigger Bitcoin gets.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: