Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:54:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BIP 322 draft design and improvement thread  (Read 949 times)
profedustream

Activity: 16
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2024, 11:47:46 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2024, 08:00:54 AM by profedustream
Merited by vjudeu (1)

Thanks for your response. I've been requested in the Github BIP 322 thread to forward this to the mailing list. I've taken care of it.

It is possible, but tedious. If you can sign some message with a single key, then you can do it with multiple keys, just by providing N signatures. Unless you deploy N-of-N multisig, wrapped in Taproot address, then a single signature is sufficient.

If you have any information or bitcointalk post about it, please let me know. Currently, I haven't found any way to sign a message with a n-of-m multi-sig (n != m).

[EDIT]
Here is the discussion on the Bitcoin mailing list: https://groups.google.com/g/bitcoindev/c/RCi1Exs0ZvQ
vjudeu

Activity: 696
Merit: 1603

View Profile
May 04, 2024, 07:11:36 AM

Currently, I haven't found any way to sign a message with a n-of-m multi-sig (n != m).
In general, if you can sign a message with a single key, then you can do so with multiple keys, just by including multiple signatures. For example:
Code:
importdescriptors "[{\"desc\":\"pkh(cMahea7zqjxrtgAbB7LSGbcQUr1uX1ojuat9jZodMN87JcbXMTcA)#rpv80xem\",\"timestamp\":\"now\",\"label\":\"key\"}]"
importdescriptors "[{\"desc\":\"pkh(cMahea7zqjxrtgAbB7LSGbcQUr1uX1ojuat9jZodMN87K7XCyj5v)#fpg83s6d\",\"timestamp\":\"now\",\"label\":\"key2\"}]"

signmessage "mrCDrCybB6J1vRfbwM5hemdJz73FwDBC8r" "Hello World"
IGXH085B9ZEWwQqpO/zC9gtJZVES7DgLOHPONO5mbvCqXPI91aSz+/pYk/HK4w6NSYuzxgRi3qmNs/bTz9Pjr1o=
signmessage "mg8Jz5776UdyiYcBb9Z873NTozEiADRW5H" "Hello World"
IJ94zR6cD8snDDM2MlR4kXkr7WyaFbokViNC1pDAFfBDDMiI7ZlvD3Gbl2zKXw+DrprYB8DwI4fV5xPKNWh/sDw=

verifymessage "mrCDrCybB6J1vRfbwM5hemdJz73FwDBC8r" "IGXH085B9ZEWwQqpO/zC9gtJZVES7DgLOHPONO5mbvCqXPI91aSz+/pYk/HK4w6NSYuzxgRi3qmNs/bTz9Pjr1o=" "Hello World"
true
verifymessage "mg8Jz5776UdyiYcBb9Z873NTozEiADRW5H" "IJ94zR6cD8snDDM2MlR4kXkr7WyaFbokViNC1pDAFfBDDMiI7ZlvD3Gbl2zKXw+DrprYB8DwI4fV5xPKNWh/sDw=" "Hello World"
true
And then, you can say that both keys were used to sign the message "Hello World". But I think, using regtest transactions may be a better idea, because it provides more context into what is actually signed. Because in the classical "Bitcoin Message", you have to make sure, that signed data cannot be manipulated, and are for example committed to the public key. Because in other cases, you may also have valid signatures, created from unknown keys:
Code:
verifymessage "mgLpgMeX3LHzB11iUW3qfowPdVdgWYodGy" "GwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE=" "Hello World"
true

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀