Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:49:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [INFO/WARNING] New Lydian Coin on Powercoin.it  (Read 203 times)
tldr-hodl (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 285
Merit: 56

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2022, 06:04:21 PM
Merited by krogothmanhattan (5), MrCryptHodl (2), ChiBitCTy (1)

There's a new silver coin on Powercoin called "New Lydian Coin":

https://www.powercoin.it/en/home/7141-new-lydian-coin-bitcoin-backed-1-oz-silver-coin-02-mbtc-2022.html

(Have to say the design is somewhat nice IMHO.)

First of all it's mistakenly labeled as Niue coin - it isn't. I assume this is an actual mistake, since most of their other BTC coins are Niue.
In reality it's just a private coin from a company called "Coint Co." that started supposedly in 2021, but their website is still "being minted" (alright, that's a neat joke):

https://www.coint.uk

Second of all, Powercoin wants 169.95 EUR for that coin, but you can find the company's shopify store where they offer it in pre-sale for 99 USD.
Also it seems they are going to offer a gold plated version of the same for whopping 700 USD (which means God knows how much on Powercoin).

But what's really, really funny, is how the coin is "loaded".
It's supposed to come with "a password to a Bitcoin address with 0.2 mBTC". But there's no public address nor sticker visible on the coin itself (not even serial number?).

Please, (especially if you're considering buying it) do yourself a favor and read these instructions:

https://cointco.myshopify.com/pages/instructions

I mean this kind of hard-core OpSec would make Jameson Lopp proud.
Just wow.

Former r/Bitcoin's Monday Art curator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChiBitCTy
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 3009

View Profile
August 14, 2022, 07:41:57 PM

Powercoin are a bunch of shady overpriced fucks. I will never give them my business again and wish others wouldn’t either.  Still waiting on their response about the Sol Noctis private key issue and I’m guessing we will be waiting until the end of time. Shady company through and the through.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2022, 07:53:52 PM

agreed - $20 ish worth of silver and what? like $5 in btc? and they want nearly $200 per coin.... I guess its better than the coin with only 1000 sats...

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
CointCo

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2022, 02:38:53 PM

Hi,

We are Coint Co and we are happy to answer your questions!

Indeed, the information about Niue is wrong and we have asked power coin to remove it. We are a registered Brazilian company (as you might suspect for Renato's past work).

You can check the transactions from our bitcoin wallet to the addresses for each new lydian coin in here : https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/1CointCoXgzKSeCECFHoatVyJd6S6zgpkf
Currently there are 50 wallets loaded since we would like to keep track time in the blockchain as we sell the coins.

We also agree that the instructions to move those bitcoins might be challenging. We would love to use a qr code to read the private key from the certificate of authenticity, for example, but currently blockhain.com app doesn't allow that (we have informed them of the issue and they replied they'll be working on this). Also, if you have any suggestions on how to access the private key easily, we are happy to take into account.

We have used the word "password" on our marketing material since most of our customers are not familiar with public/private keys or dealing with bitcoin wallets.

Again, happy for your interest in our coin!

Regards,
Coint Co
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2022, 02:55:41 PM

Hi,

Indeed, the information about Niue is wrong and we have asked power coin to remove it. We are a registered Brazilian company (as you might suspect for Renato's past work).

You can check the transactions from our bitcoin wallet to the addresses for each new lydian coin in here : https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/1CointCoXgzKSeCECFHoatVyJd6S6zgpkf
Currently there are 50 wallets loaded since we would like to keep track time in the blockchain as we sell the coins.

We also agree that the instructions to move those bitcoins might be challenging. We would love to use a qr code to read the private key from the certificate of authenticity, for example, but currently blockhain.com app doesn't allow that (we have informed them of the issue and they replied they'll be working on this). Also, if you have any suggestions on how to access the private key easily, we are happy to take into account.

We have used the word "password" on our marketing material since most of our customers are not familiar with public/private keys or dealing with bitcoin wallets.

Regards,
Coint Co

the problem is the coins dont come with any address - so a buyer has no way to confirm the balance on their own coin.

and the coins are heavily overpriced. $200 but 20 in silver and 1000 sats (about 20 cents currently)

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1967

View Profile
August 22, 2022, 01:45:06 AM

We would love to use a qr code to read the private key from the certificate of authenticity, for example, but currently blockhain.com app doesn't allow that (we have informed them of the issue and they replied they'll be working on this). Also, if you have any suggestions on how to access the private key easily, we are happy to take into account.

Regards,
Coint Co

So are you the actual coinmaker? Why didn't you just use a fckn QR code containing the private key like most other modern coins? Or the mini-key like Casascius?

What is blockchain.app and wtf/why does it have anything to do with redeeming private keys?

Methinks you need to go back to square one and figure out what the hell you are doing lol.. Cheesy

also, How can you prove you are the coinmaker? Can you even?  Roll Eyes

I agree this seems ridiculous and just another stain on collectibles... Sad

the problem is the coins dont come with any address - so a buyer has no way to confirm the balance on their own coin.

and the coins are heavily overpriced. $200 but 20 in silver and 1000 sats (about 20 cents currently)

WTF? No address? LMFAO... Fuck these guys.... Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
tldr-hodl (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 285
Merit: 56

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2022, 12:25:37 PM

Hi,
so alright, lets delve into this...

As for the price, I agree it seems steep, but that's pointless debate - you can try to sell for whatever price you want, I have no problem with that.

Now - what you are doing is selling a normal commemorative coin PLUS 0,0002 BTC. There is simply NO connection between those two.
Coin itself has no public address, no private key and as far as I can tell not even a serial number - bitcoin (in a form of CoA) and the coin are totally separated.

You can make a simple commemorative coin, there's nothing wrong with that.
OR you can make a so called "physical bitcoin" coin with visible public address (so you check if the coin is loaded) and hidden private key (or as in your case a seed phrase, why not, even though it's longer), so you have to visibly damage the coin to reveal it. In that way undamaged coin automatically guarantees ownership of bitcoin - that is the whole point of such coin.
(Please research Casascius or some other reputable maker for this.)
What you did is neither.

Plus your instructions for redeeming are very, very amateurish - and I don't mean "simplified for ordinary people", I mean amateurish and insecure.

One problem with physical bitcoin is that it requires trust (which kinda goes against the whole bitcoin ethos, but that's another debate) in the maker of such coin.
I have to trust not just you're not a scammer, but also that you know what you're doing.
I am not sure if you are scammers, but just after reading your instructions I AM sure you don't really know much not just about making physical bitcoin, but also about bitcoin in itself.

Please, either stick to making commemorative coins (as I stated originally, the design itself is quite alright) OR get someone knowledgeable, if you really want to do this.
If it helps, you're not alone, Mint21 tried with "Liberty" coin and they got a lot of flak here as well (and deservedly so):
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5405047.msg60501825
(But again, your case is still much, much worse.)

Hi,

Regards,
Coint Co

Former r/Bitcoin's Monday Art curator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: