Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:45:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The government of my country always blame Bitcoin for their failure.  (Read 505 times)
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
August 21, 2022, 03:49:45 AM

Terrorism financing and ransom payments: Just recently the government of my country criminalized payment of ransom to kidnappers and bandits. Anyone that is convicted of ransom payment would be sentenced to 15years imprisonment. But the government has been accused of hypocrisy; people argue that top government officials secretly paid ransom to secure the release of their loved ones while other victims from poor families were left at the mercy of their abductors. An example is the recent kidnapping of over 61 train passengers and $170,000 was paid secretly for the CEO of the Bank of Agriculture. A report stated that based on what could be verified, between July 2021 (after the ban on Bitcoin transactions) and June 2022, no fewer than 3,420 people were abducted across my country, an increase of more than 100%. In the ensuing period, $9,806,306.31 was demanded in exchange for the release of captives while a fraction of that sum ($1,126,126.13) was paid as ransom. And most of these funds are paid in cash. An example is the testimony of one of the notorious bandits’ leaders who carried out the abduction of nearly 300 schoolgirls at the Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe town in Zamfara State in February 2021 who revealed that the Nigerian government coughed up approximately $102,561 cash before they (the bandits) freed the girls.
The bandits’ leader in an interview with BBC Africa Eye, when asked what they did with the money, simply stated that they used the money to acquire more rifles and other deadly weapons for subsequent operations (Purchase of small arms and light weapons)

I've spoken before about Bitcoin being the scapegoat for issues unrelated to crypto in general -- to reiterate the point: Cryptocurrency doesn't have much to do with terrorism. I'm sure the government can point to specific reports of terrorist groups using crypto to fund terror activity, but those incidents are scarce across the broader spectrum of terrorism. The Taliban currently control an entire country and its resources, for example. Iran, leading state sponsor of terrorism, are currently sharpening their nuclear arenol. Are we really expecting crypto to be the fiscal epicenter of terrorism because some people requested Bitcoin in ransom funds? Should we really lose sight of the bigger picture?

The government just needs to give a palatable excuse to the average citizen without technical knowledge of Bitcoin to justify its curtailment. You'll be shocked to find out how many liberties citizens will voluntarily give away in the name of personal safety.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Findingnemo

Activity: 2324
Merit: 758

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
August 21, 2022, 11:19:44 AM

Recently i read some article which is about top 5 countries which is more towards the future of technology and surprisingly Nigeria was on the list, i don't know about the reality but its a fact that Nigeria is growing faster but the government doesn't even care about the potential of their citizens do they never tried to make any changes which can bring more growth into the economy but wanted to still scratch whatever the people have, even they banned cryptocurrencies and exchanges launched their own CBDC but nothing worked in their way.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
cloudfir3e

Activity: 430
Merit: 10

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
August 21, 2022, 12:51:53 PM

Bitcoin is such a good scapegoat that it's making me yawn whenever the government puts the blame on bitcoin or cryptocurrency for their failures to maintain and improve the economy, it's kind of funny to imagine how they're doing it in the drawing board, what stuff should they blame that doesn't involve what they're doing that's really causing the problem. I hope people are smart enough to doubt that bitcoin is the cause of economic failures.
I think bitcoin can actually help solve a country's economic problems.
if the government blames bitcoin and cryptocurrencies for their failure in the country's economy it may only be to cover up the failure of the government and bitcoin is the vessel for that failure.
but they do not pay attention to the impact of this, it will only add to the economic collapse of their country.

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●    T W I T T E R    ●    T E L E G R A M    ●    M E D I U M    ●
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: