Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:27:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help recovering funds from forgotten wallet on pre-'15 blockchain(bug)  (Read 143 times)
montythegoat (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 5

View Profile
August 20, 2022, 08:27:29 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), dkbit98 (1)

Kind of an interesting story and I need your guys' help with it please.

While cleaning out my Google Drive a few weeks ago, I came across this screenshot of an old wallet I had from blockchain back in 2015 October. Around this time I was gambling Bitcoin and used many different wallets, and one I had forgotten about still had half a Bitcoin left in it. I found a couple others which had a combined ~$700or so that I was able to login to very quickly, but this is the one I am after and its one of the remaining wallets I have not been able to enter. Most of the ones I cant login are the earliest ones, i.e. from 2013-2016 and specifically one which I located on block explorer which has currently .48 btc in it.

Quite confident I have entered the password correctly...Even just with manual guessing I think its strange I havent accessed it yet, so with use of btcrecover I am worrying about this now since I am almost sure that I should have gotten it right by now. Even though I just learned few days ago to use btcrecover, I cant imagine I would have used some crazy hard/different password with the amount of times I was logging into this thing back in 2015.

So, after toying around with tokens, I came to this arrangement:

%[CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[CcHhAaRrSs]%[CcHhAaRrSs]%[CcHhAaRrSs]%0,2d%2d%[!@#$%^&*+?]

It is to take 28 hours to do it, but if that does not work it will be further proof the password is right but just bugged out.

*Saw this pertaining to some stuff from the btcrecover guide “Blockchain.com Wallets (Previously known as blockchain.info)
Important Note Some older blockchain.com wallets (2014-2015 era at least, perhaps more) have a bug where some private keys were incorrectly encoded and saved to the wallet file... (Basically if the hex encoded private key included any leading zeroes, these were left off, leading to private keys that are less than 32 bytes... The current blockchain.com simply rejects these as invalid and assumes an incorrect password...) The symptoms of this are that your wallet may have correctly worked until about 2015/2016, BTCRecover will correctly match the wallet passwords (main password and/or second passwords) yet you will be unable to log in with your wallet at blockchain.com (Perhaps being prompted for a second password at login time, not just when sending funds) nor import old backups of your wallet file in to the platform. Blockchain support will simply dismiss your concerns and insist that you have the wrong password... (And given they are a non-custodial platform, don't actually have any visibility in to your specific wallet file file to be able to debug it...) The solution is to dump the private keys from these wallet files (or keys) and to import them in to something like Electrum.

TL;DR
the btcrecover guide docs make mention of this bug where
"dump the private keys from these wallet files (or keys) and to import them in to something like Electrum."
How do I do this?

Thank everyone in advance, I really could use this money right now, and i'll be more careful this time with it!
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PawGo
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1367

View Profile
August 20, 2022, 08:51:48 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), ABCbits (3)

As I understand you think about that problem:
https://github.com/blockchain/blockchain-wallet-v4-frontend/issues/3095

And you quote that page: https://btcrecover.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Decrypting_dumping_walletfiles/#blockchaincom-wallets-previously-known-as-blockchaininfo
Anyway, they show examples of result. Depending if you used second password or not, you may receive a simple list of private keys or list in JSON mode (with brackets), then you are interested in privkey_compressed and privkey_uncompressed values.
(The same private key may produce several addresses, for example legacy uncompressed and compressed. To indicate which one you want to use from given private key, key is exported in one of 2 forms, 51 (uncompressed) characters starting with 5 or 52 (compressed) characters starting with K or L).

Then, import it into Electrum is trivial, you use File->New->(any name)->Improt bitcoin addreses or private keys-> and you paste private keys (5... K... L...) extracted by btcrecover, something like for example in that instruction: https://coinguides.org/import-sweep-private-keys-electrum-wallet/
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18512

View Profile
August 21, 2022, 01:57:24 PM

%[CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[ CcHhAaRrSs]%[CcHhAaRrSs]%[CcHhAaRrSs]%[CcHhAaRrSs]%0,2d%2d%[!@#$%^&*+?]
That's a strange arrangement.
If you want to use 9 characters from the same set, then use %9i[chars] (which says use exactly 9 characters, case insensitive), rather than repeating [CcHhAaRrSs] 9 times. For up to 9 characters, use %0,9i[chars].
Your digits at the end are also strange. You are telling it to use between 0 and 2 digits, immediately followed by 2 digits. Why not just use %2,4d instead?

I would suggest using --listpass first to at least make sure you are generating the type of passwords you think you are before letting it run for 28 hours.

How do I do this?
The instructions are on the page that PawGo linked to above. Once you crack your password, just dump the wallet using that password and the commands given on that page, then pull out the necessary private keys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: