Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:42:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When you buy a miner, what are you most concerned about?  (Read 581 times)
Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 12

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2022, 04:56:22 AM

my criteria to buy a miner machine:
1. reliable for long running.
2. technical transparency on hardware and software.
3. repairable and good service.
4. low price.
5. less power consume.
Noted with thanks.

May the love & faith fill your heart and the mining of bitcoin fill your wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2022, 04:59:20 AM

1. Run-time without needing to be repaired
2. Software Customization
3. Price

I would like to see more single hash board BTC miners, and updates that don't brick your control board. I don't know anything about manufacturing but letting customers fix their own hardware for common points of failure and giving them the information and parts to do so doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.
Thanks for your precious advice, we do appreciate it.

May the love & faith fill your heart and the mining of bitcoin fill your wallet.
ejd59005

Activity: 37
Merit: 7

View Profile
September 26, 2022, 12:16:59 AM

Me personally, it would be electricity usage. Tons of miners out there, but most consume so much electricity, that it's not even worth it anymore.

I used to GPU mine back in the day and that was pretty profitable, but even now, that can be pretty expensive. Electricity can make or break a mining rig.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 26, 2022, 02:23:56 AM

Me personally, it would be electricity usage. Tons of miners out there, but most consume so much electricity, that it's not even worth it anymore.

I used to GPU mine back in the day and that was pretty profitable, but even now, that can be pretty expensive. Electricity can make or break a mining rig.
Well this is the big difference between canaan miners and bitmain miners

The latest canaan miners use a lot more power per TH than the latest bitmain miners.
(and this has been the case also for a long time)

The latest bitmain miner using 23W/TH vs the latest canaan miner using 35W/TH actually is a very big issue.

When that 35W/TH is borderline running no profit or even loss, i.e. run cost power = 100% or more of reward
the 23W/TH miner is using only 66% of the power, so that 33% may go into profit instead of paying for the power.

The catch of course is when BTC price is low like it is now, you need really cheap power to make only a small profit on a canaan miner.
However, many people will find that they run the newest canaan miners at a loss at the moment,
but might be able to run the newest bitmain miners at a profit.

I will add, that I've always considered this surprising how bitmain always can make mining chips with better power characteristics than canaan can ever do.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2022, 03:21:44 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions

lowbander801

Activity: 96
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 24, 2022, 09:36:06 AM

power and hash rate is the most important
then a realistic ROI with current prices of 12-14 months
more than this is purely speculative and has many chances to go wrong
Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2022, 07:44:24 AM

power and hash rate is the most important
then a realistic ROI with current prices of 12-14 months
more than this is purely speculative and has many chances to go wrong

Thanks

hZti

Activity: 952
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
November 15, 2022, 01:03:01 PM

Well this is the big difference between canaan miners and bitmain miners

The latest canaan miners use a lot more power per TH than the latest bitmain miners.
(and this has been the case also for a long time)

The latest bitmain miner using 23W/TH vs the latest canaan miner using 35W/TH actually is a very big issue.

When that 35W/TH is borderline running no profit or even loss, i.e. run cost power = 100% or more of reward
the 23W/TH miner is using only 66% of the power, so that 33% may go into profit instead of paying for the power.

The catch of course is when BTC price is low like it is now, you need really cheap power to make only a small profit on a canaan miner.
However, many people will find that they run the newest canaan miners at a loss at the moment,
but might be able to run the newest bitmain miners at a profit.

I will add, that I've always considered this surprising how bitmain always can make mining chips with better power characteristics than canaan can ever do.

As far as I understand this works only because there is quite a big portion of people that has business contracts that include unlimited power. Since running a miner in a large company building will also not make a huge difference there are more people that you would think that are not really interested in power consumption even if in the first place you can not imagine how somebody could run this miner on a profit.
Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2022, 10:01:43 AM

When you buy a miner, what are you most concerned about?
   1. The total price.
   2. The hash rate.
   3. Brand
   4. Others(welcome to share your opinions)

Welcome to share your ideas with us Cool

Skot

Activity: 212
Merit: 241

bitaxe.org

View Profile
December 06, 2022, 06:24:54 PM

1. The total price.
   2. The hash rate.
   3. Brand

4. How is the open source support for the hardware, firmware and software!
Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2022, 05:13:34 AM

1. The total price.
   2. The hash rate.
   3. Brand

4. How is the open source support for the hardware, firmware and software!

Well noted with thanks !

Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2022, 12:57:24 PM

Any more ideas? We are all ears Smiley

hZti

Activity: 952
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
December 12, 2022, 06:59:01 PM

There is an incredible big market worldwide for heating equipment that is electrically powered. If you could just get 1 % of those customers to use a bitcoin Miner for heating instead of a simple heater you would probably already sell more miners than any other company. The needs for this miner would be:

-Low Noise
-High Safety
-Power Output of 3-5 KwH
- Good Build quality and design
MrMik

Activity: 199
Merit: 37

View Profile
December 12, 2022, 10:24:29 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2022, 08:42:49 PM by MrMik

There is an incredible big market worldwide for heating equipment that is electrically powered. If you could just get 1 % of those customers to use a bitcoin Miner for heating instead of a simple heater you would probably already sell more miners than any other company. The needs for this miner would be:

-Low Noise
-High Safety
-Power Output of 3-5 KwH

I agree, but not with the power output requirement.

It should have lower power output so that it can be plugged into a standard wall outlet.

1.2-2.4kW max. Plug and play/heat.

For 3-5kW you need to have a dedicated high current cable to where ever you want to plug it in.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 12, 2022, 10:40:29 PM

-Low Noise
-High Safety
-Power Output of 3-5 KwH

I agree, but not with the power output requirement.

It should have lower power output so that it can be plugged into a standard wall outlet.

1.2-2.4kWh max. Plug and play/heat.

For 3-5kW you need to have a dedicated high current cable to where ever you want to plug it in.
I brought that up directly with Canaan in the past and their response was that they're not interested in making home miners.

I then followed up about getting chips from them for someone else to make home miners and they ignored my emails.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
tjtonmoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 366

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2022, 07:16:01 PM

There are a few key things to consider when choosing a bitcoin miner.
  • First, you should make sure that the miner is capable of mining at a high hash rate, as this will increase your chances of successfully mining bitcoins.
  • Second, you should consider the energy efficiency of the miner, as this will determine how much it will cost to run the miner and how long it will take to earn back your initial investment.
  • Third, you should consider the price of the miner, as well as any additional equipment or accessories that may be required to use it.
  • Finally, you should also consider the reputation and customer support offered by the manufacturer of the miner. Buy something that comes with a long term warranty support.

There are more experts here to give you more suggestions. So try and follow them.

Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2022, 11:56:48 AM

-Low Noise
-High Safety
-Power Output of 3-5 KwH

Haha, that means these users can mine BTC in a warm house. Noise is really a problem so far.

Canaan Online Shop (OP)

Avalon Miner

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2022, 12:00:21 PM

There are more experts here to give you more suggestions. So try and follow them.

Thanks, we are listening Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: