Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:30:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Numismatic News Further Legitimizes Crypto Collectibles  (Read 211 times)
tread93 (OP)

Activity: 1126
Merit: 534

View Profile
August 31, 2022, 01:57:22 AM
Merited by ChiBitCTy (5), krogothmanhattan (1), polymerbit (1)

Good Day Ladies and Gents,

I was surfing the web to look for the coolest new coins being released Cool (As per usual) and came across this interesting article on the use of holograms on legal tender coins, bullion coins, and the best part they even mention crypto collectibles. At the very beginning of the article actually they mention our niche collectible coin category saying: "The application of holograms on commemorative coins started in the early 1990s. They are mainly added for eye-catching decoration and to generate interest amongst numismatists, although in a separate application, cryptocurrencies are now using holograms as labels to protect security codes. Today, the global coin collector market is estimated to be worth around $17 billion in annual revenues, according to Mhojhos Research, and numbers a community of 615 billion people around the world."

A nice nod to crypto collectibles, albeit I wish they would have displayed some more examples. They mention The 2022 Liberty United Crypto States 1,000 Satoshi silver hologram coin issued by the United Crypto States (UCS) (which I think is a shame they made it such a small denomination, has anyone purchased one of these?) They also mention the Bitcoin Sussie paper notes.  They make a strong case for the use of holograms as a security element with coins and notate all the mints that have made notable uses of holograms on coinage. I'm not sure if anyone has shared this yet, but it was posted only 4 days ago so I may be the first to post on it, perhaps.

Anyhow, here is another excerpt from the article (also showing some interesting figures on fake bullion coins):

"Cryptocurrencies and Holograms

A 2022 silver “coin” issued by the United Crypto States denominated 1,000 Satoshi bears a hologram to protect against counterfeiting. (Image courtesy United Crypto States.)
A 2022 silver “coin” issued by the United Crypto States denominated 1,000 Satoshi bears a hologram to protect against counterfeiting. (Image courtesy United Crypto States.)

As noted above, in addition to commemorative coins for the collectors’ market, holograms are also finding new uses to secure cryptocurrencies.

Not only do cryptocurrencies exist, but also crypto states. The 2022 Liberty United Crypto States 1,000 Satoshi silver hologram coin issued by the United Crypto States (UCS) is the first one from the UCS series. Combining the history of silver and cutting-edge hologram technology, Liberty is presented in the form of a classic coin. As a so-called “legal tender” of the United Crypto States – a virtual state based on a community of collectors – it is denominated in Bitcoin, the current king of the cryptocurrency universe. There is a hologram, created to protect against counterfeiting, together with a QR code with a 1,000 Satoshi denomination.

As this shows, even if cryptocurrency is digital, the physical counterparts exist – both in metal and paper form, and the move from digital to paper-based crypto currencies is creating further opportunities for holography.

In the case of physical Bitcoin “coins,” these have their own Bitcoin address and a redeemable “private key” printed on a card that is embedded inside the coin and covered up or protected by tamper-proof hologram applied to the surface.

And then there are paper-based cryptocurrencies, also known as hybrid bank notes, which resemble traditional bank notes but with the facility to have funds loaded onto them that can then be used to pay for goods or services at outlets that accept them. Or simply to store value.

In this world, holographic technology is helping to provide authentication in the form of the Icynote brand from SMD Security Printing Sarl. This wallet, which works with any business or trade that accepts cryptocurrencies as a form of payment, allows the “bank note” to receive funds directly from its customers. The buyer only has to scan the QR code and send the this to the seller to complete the transaction.

The Bitcoin Suisse Crypto “bank note” is another development that sees a paper wallet that holds a public address key accessed by a QR code and a private key that is concealed by multiple security features. It has the look and feel of a traditional bank note and includes a unique “Nanocrypt” hologram alongside other security features, which incorporates the company name and logo, nano-optical structures, microtext, a decorative effect known as guilloche and spectral line patterns among other strong visual effects.

Looking to the Future

What about future developments? We can see that there are reasons why holograms should migrate onto coins in circulation, but the main one has to be security. Just as holograms, or more correctly, “optically variable security devices” have found widespread acclaim as bank note security features, helping to protect against counterfeiting, they could offer the same function on coins.

This comes at a time of growing incidences of counterfeit coin seizures. According to the European Commission, the volume of counterfeit euro coins increased by 6.35 percent in 2019 (the last year figures were published). The greatest increase was in counterfeit 2-euro coins (15 percent), which comprised 93 percent of the total (the EC only analyzes and reports on 1- and 2-euro and 50-euro cent coins). For commemorative euro coins (which are always 2-euro coins), the increase in counterfeit detected in 2019 was 20 percent. This summer, the Irish Garda issued a warning over fake 2-euro coins following the seizure of counterfeit currency in Dublin.

Law enforcement authorities in the U.S. seized more than 40,000 fake Morgan and Peace dollars, American Eagle silver bullion coins and $2.50 Indian Head gold coins in 2021 while the introduction of a new 1-pound coin in the U.K. in 2017 was down to the fact that, by then, almost 3 percent of the old 1-pound coins in circulation were fake. The financial incentive to find an effective deterrent is potent – and should mints be able to develop the technology to produce effective circulating coins displaying holographic effects that withstand the rigors of use, then the opportunities for a new line of use for holography are considerable.

Dr. Paul Dunn is chair of the International Hologram Manufacturers Association (IHMA). He is an industry expert with more than 30 years of experience and has developed innovative security features to authenticate and protect brand merchandise and high-security documents.

The IHMA is an international trade body comprised of more than 90 of the world’s leading producers and converters of holograms for bank note security, anti-counterfeiting, brand protection, packaging, graphics and other commercial applications."

If you're interested to read the whole article you can find it here: https://www.numismaticnews.net/world-coins/holograms-on-coins-and-beyond

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

TREAD  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2022, 02:46:05 AM

that coin did look great but man, it didn't come with an address accompanying the coin to provide the public address for the key that supposedly is under the hologram. Their second coin has some sort of pw (if I recall correctly) that you then have to use to redeem the funds. Not to mention their loaded amounts are so low as to not even to be able to cover the fees to xfer the funds.

I wish they had selected a better coin to be "representative" of the physical crypto collectibles. And maybe there is more mentioned in the article - I will need to read the full thing however.  Thank you for posting.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
polymerbit

Activity: 703
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2022, 12:56:32 PM
Merited by tread93 (2)

This week I will be posting the following summary;

Cryptocurrency collectibles interacting with the Numismatic Market: Examined.

Taken from our own experiences at The World’s Fair of Money.

So it is interesting to see this article mentioned.

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2022, 01:51:05 PM

I think an interesting topic they could cover is the holo-makers and where they are located; and if these makers could pose a possible security threat to making duplicates under the table.

Has anyone heard of a coin makers holograms being duplicated in an effort to sell “funded” coins that weren’t really funded?
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
September 01, 2022, 08:20:42 PM

I think an interesting topic they could cover is the holo-makers and where they are located; and if these makers could pose a possible security threat to making duplicates under the table.

Has anyone heard of a coin makers holograms being duplicated in an effort to sell “funded” coins that weren’t really funded?

I don't recall any myself...

Looks like you probably could find someone to make you some (likely shitty-versions) of them like this:  Roll Eyes

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3d-Hologram-3d-Hologram-Printing-Printing_60308350963.html

Or, go all out (probably what smoothie does hahaha) and get something crazy (but obviously not from alibaba Cheesy) like this...

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hologram-Automatic-3D-Holographic-Label-Sticker_1600499451753.html

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Steeley

Activity: 1125
Merit: 265

Byzantine Generals' Problem solved,Prosperity Next

View Profile
September 02, 2022, 02:57:36 PM

Or, go all out (probably what smoothie does hahaha) and get something crazy (but obviously not from alibaba Cheesy) like this...

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hologram-Automatic-3D-Holographic-Label-Sticker_1600499451753.html

If we do a group buy we can each get one for $11,000  Grin

Beware of scammers. I will never discuss the sale of Collectibles on Telegram or any other messaging client outside the forum.
tread93 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2022, 04:22:11 AM

that coin did look great but man, it didn't come with an address accompanying the coin to provide the public address for the key that supposedly is under the hologram. Their second coin has some sort of pw (if I recall correctly) that you then have to use to redeem the funds. Not to mention their loaded amounts are so low as to not even to be able to cover the fees to xfer the funds.

I wish they had selected a better coin to be "representative" of the physical crypto collectibles. And maybe there is more mentioned in the article - I will need to read the full thing however.  Thank you for posting.

It did look super cool but I am not fond of their denomination selection and also the point you made about the public address is very noteworthy too.

100% agreed, whoever wrote that article definitely should have chosen some other coins as the poster boys. But absolutely the pleasure is mine! Glad to see the interest.

tread93 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2022, 04:23:36 AM

This week I will be posting the following summary;

Cryptocurrency collectibles interacting with the Numismatic Market: Examined.

Taken from our own experiences at The World’s Fair of Money.

So it is interesting to see this article mentioned.

Fantastic, can't wait to see your post and summary of how the Chicago show went! I was bummed I couldn't make it, one year I will.

tread93 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2022, 04:25:52 AM

That definitely would be fun to see on a numismatic scale (pun intended) shedding light on the physical crypto hologram coins tend to get mixed reviews among numismatic folk i've come to find. I'd say that the odds of them having interest is maybe 60-40. That is 60% interest from those who do not know about these coins and 40% uninterested because they are just dumb asses hahhahhaa

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: