Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:49:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Identifying the OP at a glance (SMF patch)  (Read 1641 times)
ajaxtempest

Activity: 117
Merit: 52

View Profile
September 17, 2022, 02:53:11 PM

it would have been more easier when skimming through the thread just to see only OP posts.
You can write a userscript to change that. Or just use CTRL-F and type " (OP)".

That defeats the entire purpose of having OP in the first place

it should be A choice with a slight change aka (OP)  and not (OP) as A choice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

Activity: 510
Merit: 4001

View Profile
September 20, 2022, 11:31:25 AM

Thanks for implementing my suggestion.
No problem. I credited your thread in the initial post. I'm pretty sure this suggestion has come up multiple times (Welsh seems to agree), but I couldn't find older topics about it.

However by making it in BOLD it would have been more easier when skimming through the thread just to see only OP posts.
I think the style theymos chose is fine. Knowing that a given post was made by OP is a nice bit of context, but it's not crucial information, so I don't think it should go out of its way to draw attention to itself.

We can try it as an experiment and see the feedback.
Forum changes get implemented so rarely around here, that I think we should just be grateful that theymos signed off on this one and not push our luck. I don't want to bug him with a patch for an inconsequential formatting tweak.

also i had suggested another feature where you would click a down or up arrow in the post message to jump to next post of the specific user in that thread.
Yep, I've seen that one. I've only considered it superficially but knowing what I now know about SMF (which is not all that much, I'm still learning the codebase), implementing this feature would be technically quite "ugly" as it'll involve running a new SQL query for each post, each time it's rendered. I'm not sure if this suggestion is useful enough to warrant the additional DB load it'll cause. I guess if there are more than a few long-time members that chime in with support for this idea, I'll look into it more deeply and see if I can find a way to implement it elegantly.
takuma sato

Activity: 296
Merit: 421

View Profile
September 20, 2022, 06:45:17 PM

I would like a notification system when someone quotes you and  being able to quote someone highlighting the profile. Like @PowerGlove would make a clickable link for your profile. Other than that I would be happy with how things are, I like the oldschool feel of this forum. Perhaps a dark mode for browsing at night and that's about it.
Maestro75

Activity: 1932
Merit: 329

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2022, 08:44:05 AM

We can try it as an experiment and see the feedback.
Forum changes get implemented so rarely around here, that I think we should just be grateful that theymos signed off on this one and not push our luck. I don't want to bug him with a patch for an inconsequential formatting tweak.

PowerGlove is right and I hope ajaxtempest will have to be grateful that his idea was implemented quickly unlike how theymos delays on making any change in the forum. Asking for tweaking now immediately after this will seem like you are asking too much and not grateful. Your idea has been applauded and we have to move on.
PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

Activity: 510
Merit: 4001

View Profile
October 13, 2022, 07:01:25 AM

also i had suggested another feature where you would click a down or up arrow in the post message to jump to next post of the specific user in that thread.
I know I told you earlier in this thread that this feature would be difficult to implement in a technically sensible way, but I figured out a way to do it, and posted about it here.

Hopefully my latest work meets with theymos' approval, so that when you return to the forum, you'll find that another one of your ideas got implemented! Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: