Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:25:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LN - peer refuses connection  (Read 131 times)
PawGo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1367

View Profile
September 23, 2022, 08:47:54 PM

Hello

I have played a little with LN included in btcpayserver. I have opened the channel with coingate, transferred some sats. Channel was opened (transaction confirmed etc.), but now it is closed and I cannot reconnect to peer.
Code:
3.124.63.44:9735: Exchanging Init Messages: Peer Closed Connection.
What should I do?
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6235

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2022, 09:03:56 PM

How long has it been down? They may be having issues. The last update it made to 1ml.com was 14 hours ago from when I am posting this:

https://1ml.com/node/0242a4ae0c5bef18048fbecf995094b74bfb0f7391418d71ed394784373f41e4f3

As a rule, a node with that many channels and transactions and 37+BTC tends to update a bit more. Not a definitive answer but a possibility.

I can connect to is as a peer but it will not let me open a channel. So, I am *thinking* it's them but it could also just be us.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PawGo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2022, 09:20:33 PM

It is like that for at least 12h. OK, not a big deal, I will try tomorrow.
Hard to say, is it better to trust a giants or smaller peers...
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2022, 02:07:33 AM
Merited by NeuroticFish (2)

It is like that for at least 12h. OK, not a big deal, I will try tomorrow.
Hard to say, is it better to trust a giants or smaller peers...

I have some channels open to other places that only have a few other channels and not a lot of funding, and some other places that I have channels open to 100s of channels to other places and a lot of BTC.

Having a lot of different ones open allows for a bunch of possible different routes. The larger places tend to have higher fees where the smaller ones tend to be less costly.

Still talking only a small amount of BTC in fees in the end, but still....

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PawGo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2022, 10:49:24 AM

Funds were returned without any itervention, so all is over, but I started to have a serious doubts what to do in situations like that. At the end you transfer your coins somewhere and must believe they are safe.
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2022, 10:43:41 PM

Funds were returned without any itervention, so all is over, but I started to have a serious doubts what to do in situations like that. At the end you transfer your coins somewhere and must believe they are safe.
No need to worry and no need for 'trust' either (since you mentioned this word earlier).
Worst-case, you unilaterally close the channel. I do believe channel partners are even punished a little, for disappearing and requiring such a force close.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2022, 03:11:04 PM

No need to worry and no need for 'trust' either (since you mentioned this word earlier).
Worst-case, you unilaterally close the channel. I do believe channel partners are even punished a little, for disappearing and requiring such a force close.

There can be penalties, depending on the settings you used when opening the channel. The issue can be that if you are not paying attention or if you or the other side have changed some things you may have to wait a while for the force close to happen. Not a big deal unless you need the funds now, but if you do you should probably not have them in an open channel anyway. I use LN a lot but still full understand, things can still go wonky.

As an example, think of all the people in Cuba, Florida, and anyplace else that was just fucked up by Hurricane Ian. If you were running a node at home, or in your business, you stand a good chance of being offline for weeks now. If I had a channel open to someone there, and there is really no way for me to know where you actually are, I could wait a week before deciding to do a force close, and then be waiting 'x' number of blocks / time for that to actually occur. Through no fault of mine.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2022, 11:33:17 PM

There can be penalties, depending on the settings you used when opening the channel. The issue can be that if you are not paying attention or if you or the other side have changed some things you may have to wait a while for the force close to happen. Not a big deal unless you need the funds now, but if you do you should probably not have them in an open channel anyway. I use LN a lot but still full understand, things can still go wonky.
That's all true, I just want to correct any worries or doubts about 'security' and 'trust'. There are lock times, which can be rather long, but those don't mean you won't get your money. There is absolutely no need to trust a channel partner in terms of them stealing your balance or permanently locking your funds by disappearing.
But it's true that it would be annoying if channel partners were to do this all the time and you'd be constantly stuck with channel closing transactions waiting to be spendable.

As an example, think of all the people in Cuba, Florida, and anyplace else that was just fucked up by Hurricane Ian. If you were running a node at home, or in your business, you stand a good chance of being offline for weeks now. If I had a channel open to someone there, and there is really no way for me to know where you actually are, I could wait a week before deciding to do a force close, and then be waiting 'x' number of blocks / time for that to actually occur. Through no fault of mine.
That's true; it's how the Lightning Network is designed. So that you're always guaranteed to get your funds back out, even though it may take a while.
The only risk in such a scenario is that if you knew for certain that the channel partner is going to be offline for a while and that they have no way of restoring a node backup on an AWS instance or don't have a watchtower set up, you could attempt cheating on them.

But for you, there is no risk (referring back to the terms 'security' and 'trust') here other than losing 'time' / opportunity cost to do something else with those funds during that time.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████