Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:54:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Watch only wallet I am NEW to this NEED HELP  (Read 96 times)
htmama2008 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2022, 12:40:32 AM

I created an Electrum wallet last night not realizing what a watch only wallet was. It said import address or private key as an option so I did. We have been having the worst I mean the worst time trying to locate where our transactions have went to. So I thought this would be the right option to make sure it even accepted it. IT DID!!!  Grin HUGELY excited until I went to transfer it and it said unsigned googled more to find out what WATCH only wallet was and been spending most of the day trying to figure it out. THEN the amount that was in it from last night tripled. I was using the app so wanted to just get on my laptop and see if there maybe was something I was missing. I went to log in and it said password incorrect.  Huh Huh Huh First it asked me the options which of course this time I put standard wallet. It let me upload a file which I happen to findin my computer with the same name as the one I created on my phone. So was confused why the password didn't match because I don't recall ever having set up Electrum in the past. Either way I put in a different password and it worked. STRANGE. HOWEVER to my now new dilema. MY 1st question was how do you go from WATCH only to STANDARD. however now....Question 2 is much MORE important. WHERE DID ALL THE MONEY DISAPEAR TOO Huh Huh its all gone now. I see the outputs everything. I know you cant just put in anyones Transaction numbers because I tried inputting some on my wallet on my laptop and it would tell you these are not basically linked to your wallet. PLEASE PLEASE I need some advice its been going on months we have been trying to figure this out. These coins are from years back we recently thought what the hell lets look and see if we did have some. We use to mine back in the day as well. My son helped with that I have no clue and now he don't even remember how we did. it. Either way I have numberous transaction ID just cant find where it goes. This was the first time we actually was able to get one to upload and take.  Undecided
Sarah Azhari

Activity: 882
Merit: 741

View Profile
October 02, 2022, 03:12:33 AM

I created an Electrum wallet last night not realizing what a watch only wallet was. It said import address or private key as an option so I did. We have been having the worst I mean the worst time trying to locate where our transactions have went to. So I thought this would be the right option to make sure it even accepted it. IT DID!!!  Grin HUGELY excited until I went to transfer it and it said unsigned googled more to find out what WATCH only wallet was and been spending most of the day trying to figure it out. THEN the amount that was in it from last night tripled. I was using the app so wanted to just get on my laptop and see if there maybe was something I was missing. I went to log in and it said password incorrect.  Huh Huh Huh First it asked me the options which of course this time I put standard wallet. It let me upload a file which I happen to findin my computer with the same name as the one I created on my phone. So was confused why the password didn't match because I don't recall ever having set up Electrum in the past. Either way I put in a different password and it worked. STRANGE. HOWEVER to my now new dilema. MY 1st question was how do you go from WATCH only to STANDARD. however now....Question 2 is much MORE important. WHERE DID ALL THE MONEY DISAPEAR TOO Huh Huh its all gone now. I see the outputs everything. I know you cant just put in anyones Transaction numbers because I tried inputting some on my wallet on my laptop and it would tell you these are not basically linked to your wallet. PLEASE PLEASE I need some advice its been going on months we have been trying to figure this out. These coins are from years back we recently thought what the hell lets look and see if we did have some. We use to mine back in the day as well. My son helped with that I have no clue and now he don't even remember how we did. it. Either way I have numberous transaction ID just cant find where it goes. This was the first time we actually was able to get one to upload and take.  Undecided

this is a long post that needs more time to understand.

Are you putting the correct private key code like this?

p2pkh:KxZcY47uGp9a...          -> 1DckmggQM...
p2wpkh-p2sh:KxZcY47uGp9a...    -> 3NhNeZQXF...
p2wpkh:KxZcY47uGp9a...         -> bc1q3fjfk...

I guess you didn't put and got wrong address
nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 5614

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
October 02, 2022, 04:53:09 AM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

-snip- THEN the amount that was in it from last night tripled.
Are you being contacted by someone who made you import that address or install the wallet?
Because that's a typical scam method: to make the victim deposit to a watching-only wallet,
then the scammer will send more funds to the wallet to increase the displayed balance in order to "encourage" the victim to deposit more.
But since it's a watching-only wallet, only the the owner of the private key (the scammer) will be able to spend those bitcoins.

MY 1st question was how do you go from WATCH only to STANDARD.
It's not possible
Since if it is, anyone can just get a random address with huge funds from a blockexplorer and import it to Electrum, then turn it into 'Standard'.

If you know its private key or seed phrase of the wallet where it belongs, restore a new wallet (File->New/Restore);
And select the necessary option depending if you have a seed phrase (Standard->I already have a seed) or private key (Import bitcoin addresses or private keys).

But before using the wallet, make sure to check if you're using a legit Electrum wallet by verifying its digital signature (as well as your PC's security).
Be careful since there are a lot of fakes and IDK if the "confusion" in your post is due to using a fake wallet or really just a confusion.
Verification tutorial here: bitcoinelectrum.com/how-to-verify-your-electrum-download/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16676

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2022, 07:27:07 AM

It said import address or private key as an option so I did.
Where did the address come from?

THEN the amount that was in it from last night tripled.
If you've been "trying" this for months, what triggered it last night?

I was using the app so wanted to just get on my laptop and see if there maybe was something I was missing. I went to log in and it said password incorrect.
What "app" were you using? And what program did you try to log into on your laptop?

It let me upload a file
Again: what software did this?

So was confused why the password didn't match because I don't recall ever having set up Electrum in the past.
If you didn't set it up, why is it on your computer?

Either way I put in a different password and it worked. STRANGE.
It sounds like you're in way over your head.

These coins are from years back we recently thought what the hell lets look and see if we did have some. We use to mine back in the day as well. My son helped with that I have no clue and now he don't even remember how we did. it.
My guess: you didn't mine, you may have fallen for a cloud mining scam. That scam gave you an address, you don't have the private key to that address, and the Bitcoins aren't yours.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: