Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:51:01 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The whole tipping culture in western countries is unfair and totally wrong!  (Read 776 times)
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1192

View Profile
October 06, 2022, 08:52:37 PM

This is something that I can't still understand, why is there so much pressure to tip in restaurant, in taxi, tip to the delivery guy, etc.
They are doing their job, right? If they are getting low salary from the company and can't live without tips, that's not my fault. The business model that restaurants have is that they pay very low salaries to their employees and get most of the profit in their own pocket. Why is it socially accepted in western countries? Especially in the USA and Canada? Instead of social pressure to leave tips, why isn't there pressure on business owners to pay them more? Why is it socially accepted that pig businessman should get high profit, work his employees on low wage and the customer should compensate it?

Why do we tip people who work in restaurant, delivery, barbershop, etc instead of people who work in constructions? I have never seen anyone tipping to someone who works as a manual laborer. Do you guys really think that manual labor is easier than being a waitress? Or a delivery guy? Or do you think that they are paid higher? Manual laborers are working very hard with very little wages, their wages can be smaller than the wages of people in service industry. Also, working in manual labor is very dangerous for health and most of them have health problem while they aren't offered insurance and other benefits.
It's unfair that people in service industry are tipped but people in manual labor - not. And if the manual laborer somehow managed to go in restaurant, some shit waitress will get mad if he won't tip her.

You should not conflate the tipping culture in America with the tipping culture in somewhere like Europe, as the two are vastly different. I haven't even been to America recently, but you can judge from TV shows that they essentially vastly underpay workers in certain sectors and require it to be topped up by this enforced tipping culture. If you're a service worker, you've already got a tough enough job without having to go over the top and act ridiculously kind in order to make a minimum wage, it just makes the whole situation so faked. Europe on the other hand, tipping is very much optional in most situations, certainly not expected or demanded like it is in the USA. Some situations may even cause offense at the suggestion and get it rejected.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Mahanton

Activity: 2744
Merit: 633

View Profile
October 06, 2022, 09:14:31 PM

So you are pertaining that we should give tip on manual labors? Of course the venue or place would be entirely be a huge factor on why these people had been given tips.
They are on those places where the crowd or people been hanging out which means that they are on the nearest place for them to be approach compared into those constructions which is working on
places where it is hazardous or something that people cant go nor stay with.So its just common sense.

I do get your point though but tipping isnt really that necessary.Its a personal choice or will because tipping does correlate on having good impression or appreciation
on what that certain worker had been done into you specially if its a nice one and did really give good overall experience.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Ultegra134

Activity: 1596
Merit: 782

View Profile
October 06, 2022, 09:24:16 PM

It's a huge issue in the United States. Not only is everything expensive and overpriced, especially if you're from Europe for vacations, for instance, but you're also expected to tip over 10-20% of the total bill just because of the broken tipping culture in the U.S. Restaurants are not paying their staff a living wage, and it is expected of customers to pay their workers' salaries. What kind of messed up logic is that? It's not mandatory in Greece either, but you can round up to the nearest 0 or 5, for example, if the service was decent (paying 50 instead of 47, etc.). It's solely up to you. I don't think it's a huge issue in the western world, but only in the U.S.

The only places I was asked to tip were two restaurants in Poland, Krakow, when I visited for vacation. In one of them, the waiter went ahead and asked me if I could give him a tip, which was a bit strange, but since he was extremely polite and caring, I didn't mind. I wouldn't sit around and make a fuss about it on my holiday. In the latter, they went ahead and charged a small "service charge" of a few Polish Zloty. It was approximately a euro or two, max. The waiter informed me about it, but the service was decent and while I didn't like the forced tipping, I wasn't going to make a scene for a euro or two.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1344

View Profile
October 06, 2022, 09:44:02 PM

I can't confirm your statement that "social pressure to leave tips" exists in the US & CA since I don't live there. But, assuming that it's correct, I disagree with this culture. A tip shouldn't be mandatory, but as a gratitude for great service other than simply saying "thank you." Before thinking about it deeply, I was sold on the idea that giving tip money is always good and felt good about it. But the days of me tipping is over. Now, in most cases, I only say thanks and save the tip money for other purchases in the same shop if I like their service, or tipping if the service gets extra personal. It's the best way to keep the business run and profitable. Tip money is an unnecessary overhead that can make a business less profitable in the long run and generally get a bad customer experience. Hence, many service companies now ban tipping for the same reason in the country I reside.
I live in a country where tipping is part of the culture but I agree with this, a tip should be optional and only be given when the service was great, otherwise we encourage bad service by giving money away which was not deserved, now that being said where I live people in the service industry really make an effort to try to earn that tip, so while I give a tip more often than I would like they do their best to deserve to get that extra money.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2898
Merit: 773

View Profile
October 06, 2022, 09:45:30 PM
Merited by arwin100 (1)

So you are pertaining that we should give tip on manual labors? Of course the venue or place would be entirely be a huge factor on why these people had been given tips.
They are on those places where the crowd or people been hanging out which means that they are on the nearest place for them to be approach compared into those constructions which is working on
places where it is hazardous or something that people cant go nor stay with.So its just common sense.

I do get your point though but tipping isnt really that necessary.Its a personal choice or will because tipping does correlate on having good impression or appreciation
on what that certain worker had been done into you specially if its a nice one and did really give good overall experience.
It is really just a voluntary act!

Agree on what you had said that it is really an amount which it might not that big but showing off your appreciation on what they have done.
Even my wife do really make out argumentation on giving tips which she had said that they are paid on their work and its not necessary on giving some tips.
I just smirked and tell her that it isnt really that much for you to brag on.Its good that you do able to help at least on small amount for the
work that they had done.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
DrBeer
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1971

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2022, 09:47:52 PM

This is something that I can't still understand, why is there so much pressure to tip in restaurant, in taxi, tip to the delivery guy, etc.
They are doing their job, right? If they are getting low salary from the company and can't live without tips, that's not my fault. The business model that restaurants have is that they pay very low salaries to their employees and get most of the profit in their own pocket. Why is it socially accepted in western countries? Especially in the USA and Canada? Instead of social pressure to leave tips, why isn't there pressure on business owners to pay them more? Why is it socially accepted that pig businessman should get high profit, work his employees on low wage and the customer should compensate it?

Why do we tip people who work in restaurant, delivery, barbershop, etc instead of people who work in constructions? I have never seen anyone tipping to someone who works as a manual laborer. Do you guys really think that manual labor is easier than being a waitress? Or a delivery guy? Or do you think that they are paid higher? Manual laborers are working very hard with very little wages, their wages can be smaller than the wages of people in service industry. Also, working in manual labor is very dangerous for health and most of them have health problem while they aren't offered insurance and other benefits.
It's unfair that people in service industry are tipped but people in manual labor - not. And if the manual laborer somehow managed to go in restaurant, some shit waitress will get mad if he won't tip her.

I explain - everything that you have listed is a service-oriented business. I’ll clarify - there are services with a clear price list, for example:
- salon
- manicure / pedicure
- massage
- filling stations
- delivery
etc.
Those. these are services where the cost is known in advance and there are no noticeable additional costs.
But for example, services such as:
- taxi
- waiter
- hotel worker
etc. similar is a service where there is a basic cost and a real additional one. Let me explain - for example, a taxi driver. Maybe just drive up and wait for you to sit down, open the trunk yourself, put your suitcases. BUT! The taxi driver can help you! Open the door for you, take your luggage and carefully put it in the trunk. And when you arrive - get your luggage, open the door for you, help you get out, and carry your luggage to the airport doors.
Or a waiter - serves you a table (even in a pub), completes your order as quickly as possible, gives a recommendation on the selection of the main course or snacks, and offers new items. And if you are a regular customer, he will recommend, knowing your taste, drink, snack, dish. Or book a seat for you.
And it costs a little - usually about 10% +/- of the check amount! But you will get the maximum level of service, pleasant attitude, and good mood!
In addition, you will help this person, with a small amount, who does not have a large fixed rate. BUT - he, with this money, will buy your goods, services ... Or your parents ... Or your brother / sister .. Or your son / daughter. This is how the economy and social community work

...AoBT...
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████
The Alliance
of Bitcointalk
Translators
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███
████████████████▄
▄██
███████████████████▄
▄█
██████████████████████▄
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
███████████████▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
..JOIN US..

▄███████████████████████▄
█████▀▀██████▀▀██▀▀▀▀████
████████▀██████████
████▄▄▄▄▀███████
███████▄▀▄█▀▀███████
████████████▀████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
█████

██████████
..HIRE US..
arwin100

Activity: 2772
Merit: 815

Jack of all trades 💯

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2022, 11:01:57 PM
Merited by Taskford (3)

It is really just a voluntary act!

Agree on what you had said that it is really an amount which it might not that big but showing off your appreciation on what they have done.
Even my wife do really make out argumentation on giving tips which she had said that they are paid on their work and its not necessary on giving some tips.
I just smirked and tell her that it isnt really that much for you to brag on.Its good that you do able to help at least on small amount for the
work that they had done.

I work at restaurant before and mostly the tip will not go directly to us staff but rather it will go to the tip box then the whole kitchen staff will divide so that all of the workers who work for the food will get equal. but I don't know about the other but for me I really discourage to give this nor implement this because sometimes this will cause costumer profiling and some staffs will not entertain those costumer who think that they will not give them a tip. But this is case to case basis and depends on the environment where you work at.

Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
October 06, 2022, 11:49:17 PM

Interesting points. I think tipping is a historical and cultural practice leftover from past eras.

Its also not handled well by the state. Business owners are often taxed on the wages they pay employees, in addition to a tax on tips employees receive. Its a significant obstacle to overcome, which caused many businesses to shut down or declare bankruptcy. Especially during COVID lockdowns in the global pandemic.

Tips are one segment of the market that cryptocurrencies have not been able to break into. Cash based solutions will likely always rule the roost when it comes to tips.

Maybe an altcoin that can be exchanged through smartphones by moving them within close proximity of each other, could be a decent format. Assuming someone hasn't already done it.
jrrsparkles

Activity: 2436
Merit: 272

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 03:25:23 PM

Atleast 20% of the bill will be paid as tip in the restaurant generally and this has been in practice for very long time so even if a foreigner doesn't follow it they will treat you in the low level but we can't do anything and its not really mandatory to give tips, it just the own choice. And you're right the owner took more advantage of this practice and pay very less salary so government can only regulate this by following minimum wage policy all over the country to reduce it.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6880

Top Crypto Casino

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 05:49:37 PM
Merited by lizarder (1)

And its also because the guys in the restaurant will remember you don't give tips to them, they will spit and piss on your drink which I'm sure you won't like it. 
I'd like to point out that those restaurant guys wouldn't know if you're going to tip them or not until after you've eaten your food (unless you're referring to repeat customers known to be non-tippers).  In any case, that made me chuckle.  I don't think that's a serious risk in restaurants in the US, because it would have to be the server doing it, and there's usually too much visibility for them to get away with it.  Not saying it's impossible, just unlikely.

Speaking of the restaurant industry, those servers don't even make minimum wage IIRC and depend on tips to make up for the difference.  I'm not sure how that system came about, but it's a pretty messed up one if you ask me.  Taxi drivers I'm not certain about, and honestly I'm not a big fan of tipping anyone.  You pay for a service, that's the way it should be.  Giving money voluntarily (but being expected to) in addition to that rubs me the wrong way and always has.

████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....RACING..
Ultegra134

Merit: 782

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 06:04:37 PM

And its also because the guys in the restaurant will remember you don't give tips to them, they will spit and piss on your drink which I'm sure you won't like it.
I'd like to point out that those restaurant guys wouldn't know if you're going to tip them or not until after you've eaten your food (unless you're referring to repeat customers known to be non-tippers).  In any case, that made me chuckle.  I don't think that's a serious risk in restaurants in the US, because it would have to be the server doing it, and there's usually too much visibility for them to get away with it.  Not saying it's impossible, just unlikely.

Speaking of the restaurant industry, those servers don't even make minimum wage IIRC and depend on tips to make up for the difference.  I'm not sure how that system came about, but it's a pretty messed up one if you ask me.  Taxi drivers I'm not certain about, and honestly I'm not a big fan of tipping anyone.  You pay for a service, that's the way it should be.  Giving money voluntarily (but being expected to) in addition to that rubs me the wrong way and always has.
I don't understand the tipping culture in the U.S. Why aren't restaurants paying at least the minimum wage, so their waiters can live comfortably in combination with the tips they receive? Waiters are basically costing the employer nothing. It's ridiculous that workers are putting up with it. What if everybody stopped tipping? Especially now, with the increased living costs and the already inflated prices of the U.S., adding another 20% to your bill every time you dine outside is excessive.

Honestly, I'd be pissed if I had to spend another $20 just to eat outside. Why are people, both workers and customers putting up with such a stupid culture?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
lizarder

Merit: 881

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 06:52:34 PM
Merited by fillippone (2), NotATether (2)

I'd like to point out that those restaurant guys wouldn't know if you're going to tip them or not until after you've eaten your food (unless you're referring to repeat customers known to be non-tippers). 
And I don't really believe in tipping culture because the minimum wage they receive doesn't match the work they do.
The most likely assumption, that tipping is a person's culture after seeing the maximum service provided by workers, so people think that they deserve a tip. Although many people judge the culture is not too good to be applied.

Speaking of the restaurant industry, those servers don't even make minimum wage IIRC and depend on tips to make up for the difference.  I'm not sure how that system came about, but it's a pretty messed up one if you ask me.  Taxi drivers I'm not certain about, and honestly I'm not a big fan of tipping anyone.  You pay for a service, that's the way it should be.  Giving money voluntarily (but being expected to) in addition to that rubs me the wrong way and always has
I remember the taxi driver I used to ride with, the driver in question really gave a pretty good service, I unconsciously tipped the taxi driver so sincerely. This analogy actually depends on customer service needs, and when someone decides to give a tip, it is a sign that the level of satisfaction with the service provided is maximized.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
uneng

Activity: 2072
Merit: 790

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 06:53:43 PM

I can't say about other countries, but here every employees have to receive a minimum wage imposed by the federation, so if a business owner wants to hire someone, he must fulfill this requirement, under the risk of being punished if he doesn't register the employee accordingly.

So I conclude waiters, carriers, delivery guys are being paid like every other workers of the country, but they still receive voluntary tips from customers, because it is part of the etiquette and an expression of kindness with someone who was kind to you when doing his job. I believe you can motivate the worker, show gratitude and respect for his good work by doing this, although some nice and polite words can have the same effect without being necessary to give extra money.

After all, it is up to each customer to decide giving tips or not. The culture isn't totally unfair and wrong, because you aren't being forced into it.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Obari

Activity: 644
Merit: 454

I buy all valid country Gift cards swiftly.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2022, 12:45:28 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2022, 07:55:54 AM by Obari

Well, I feel the OP is really running a debate, in favour of manual labourers. But I would love to know if the OP is a manual labourer, or have been one before or has anyone who is because it seems it's from a personal experience this question was asked. Well tipping I'm sure isn't a must and most times, the people you mentioned, especially those waitresses feel so entitled to you tipping especially after buying something of great price or mostly on a date.

I also feel the more reason manual labourers aren't tipped is because of their work environment and the nature of their job as you don't expect someone randomly to just walk to an uninvited construction site just to go tip someone because his doing a job possibly for someone you don't know. Well in a country like Nigeria I believe people will read so many fetish meanings to the kind act you just rendered and if anything negative happens after that at the site, you might definitely be held responsible.

Most times I also think this tipping is mostly done by male customers to the female workers and in most cases for a well rendered service. I personally do tip people if I'm well treated and very satisfied with the services rendered to me.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRADE NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
[/center]
blue_hurricanger

Activity: 653
Merit: 183

View Profile
October 08, 2022, 08:27:32 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2022, 06:25:52 AM by blue_hurricanger

To be honest, if you know the things, you can't really blame the employee employed in the service business aka tipped employees. It was mainly because how US states allow minimum hourly wages for that service is very low. Heck, as low as $2.63 in Arkansas. This puts the employer aka business owner takes full use of it, by putting the burden to pay his employees on customers. Yes, when you go to a restaurant/service establishment, your tips are the main income for those people working at these, waiters/waitresses and even cooks. Link below if you want to check out, from state to state.
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

This makes the price on the menu become a false advertisement and so confusing since your tip is actually MANDATORY at 20%. Lower than that, you're being seemed as stealing the people's hard earn money at the day. The owner gave no fucks. This is what they want, to put the fight between employees and customers while prices on the menu are a placeholder. The whole US tipping culture is cancerous and I'm glad more and more businesses start to pay their employee in full instead. They just need to increase the cost of the dish to 20% to cover that. Employees expect to be professional at a certain level to earn their keep. And no chance you get spits in your food if you had a history of bad tipping. More people start to go to those places instead of 'tip but mandatory' craps.

It isn't like the tipping culture come to die. You can still tip if you want. This is more in line with how the rest of the world use tipping. $48.5 bill? Keep the charge from $50 since you're lovely. I think only US and Canada which mandatory tipping culture is still relevant. Other Anglo countries like Australia, New Zealand and UK don't have this shit. Same with the EU, Japan, SEA,... You can tip if you want but never mandatory. NEVER.
Scripture

Activity: 1303
Merit: 128

View Profile
October 09, 2022, 10:55:38 PM

I joined some tour before, and I can say that tipping is mandatory and it also happens in Asian countries, I don’t know why but many workers is getting more motivated as they get extra money for themselves. I believe it should not be mandatory and we should only give tips if we are satisfied about their services. I wonder if they are now accepting crypto for their tips.
Vaskiy
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1106

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
October 09, 2022, 11:20:00 PM

The process of tipping can be connected to the culture, it can be a support to the staff, and it can be anything. End of the day it should not pressure the consumer.

Initially tipping is the small contribution for the service being provided and to spread happiness to the one served. Later it turned to be a status sign, and this is where people started to tip. I don't know about the western nations, and I'm about my country. This ended up with expectation of tips on service. Now it is a pressure for consumer and the service variation can be found as one of the user mentioned.

I work at restaurant before and mostly the tip will not go directly to us staff but rather it will go to the tip box then the whole kitchen staff will divide so that all of the workers who work for the food will get equal. but I don't know about the other but for me I really discourage to give this nor implement this because sometimes this will cause costumer profiling and some staffs will not entertain those costumer who think that they will not give them a tip. But this is case to case basis and depends on the environment where you work at.
I loved the way the tip is being shared among the staffs, because it'll not pressure the consumer as well as gives equal distribution based on what they got as tip throughout the day.

█████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
STT
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1423

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2022, 11:32:46 PM

In some parts it can turn violent if you dont leave a tip, its considered a grand personal insult to the business.  I could never eat at somewhere like that as it would too easily lead to misunderstandings, I did leave a small tip once when I was minimum wage myself and I had no money and it was taken as a big insult.   It is a strange system for most that it could become obligatory and required, I think the guideline is 20% or you will considered to have left without paying the full bill hence the possible violence.
   This is hard to put in words, like I say its on the customer to understand the custom of the land and people they are visiting but heres a video of an upset chef turning violent just for example not that Im saying most people have this bad a temper but I avoid the whole system personally to avoid any possible insult: dont watch with a weak heart nsfw

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
amishmanish
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
October 10, 2022, 03:13:53 AM

It was actually meant to ensure that the low end job workers do their job diligently, for they will  provide good services for good tips. However these days, the inflation has become so high that customers can't afford to pay tips after giving bills. Also owners are not ready to cut down their profits. Leaving little room for workers.. I believe it's high time owners need to be more responsible for needs of their workers. Customers can't carry this burden.
The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6880

Top Crypto Casino

View Profile
October 10, 2022, 04:01:16 AM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

I believe it's high time owners need to be more responsible for needs of their workers. Customers can't carry this burden.
I don't know about tipping in any other country than the US, and to the best of my knowledge restaurants aren't required to pay the servers a minimum wage (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll have to re-read this thread to see if anyone has since I mentioned it before).  And if they don't have to, they're not going to, especially since the practice of tipping has become so entrenched in American culture.

Food delivery drivers also expect to be tipped, and I'm not sure if their employers pay them at least minimum wage.  Anyway, I would disagree with you that the economy is so bad that people can't afford to tip.  If that were the case, they probably wouldn't be eating at restaurants, taking taxis, ordering food, etc.  This isn't the first time money has been tight, and it won't be the last.

████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████