Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:36:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon A851 software  (Read 209 times)
Argenttenir (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2022, 08:12:59 PM

Hello I can pick up some Avalon A851 's for 50$ a piece is that an ok deal?
 I realize I have to get  a pi ,auc3 converter and some cables , my main question was on the software I saw there is avalon 8 out there I am just wondering how low you can turn down the frequency on these to run them on low power or with just one board instead of all boards. If so how low can you turn them down? does the software even allow it? What is the best software to use? If you have 2 miners on 1 pi can you set each one on a different pool? Is there software where you could you plug the auc 3 straight into a motherboard and skip using the pi and converter ? In  your opinion would it be better to just stick with the s9s . I have heard these were solid but there is such little info about them.
 I would be using these to solo mine sha256 coins currently am running 2 s9s 3.5th @ 270 w.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 10, 2022, 08:30:54 PM

The old Avalons are very friendly to tweaking. For a start, refer to HaggsFIN setup/repair guide for them located here. Somewhere around there should also be the testing parameters I played around with for the 841's. The commands for all of the Avalon 8xx are the same. I'll try to find those posts for links.

As for running on just 1 side, just connect the power to the 1 side of the miner and it will be happy.
The controller sets the pool you use and all miners connected to a controller will use that pool. The controller cannot run miners on different pools at the same time.

Technically, yes you *can* download and compile Canaans software to run on a PC BUT it is a royal PITA to do so. Far far easier to use Canaan's pre-built software loaded onto a Raspi 3B (not B+ which does not work).

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2022, 11:28:32 PM

The $50 is still a pretty good deal for this unit not profitable if you don't have a free power source but since your purpose is to solo mine then I think you can remove the other hashboard to reduce power and you can play with the ssh command or through API.

If you are looking for commands for this unit you can find it here below
- https://github.com/Canaan-Creative/avalon8-docs/wiki/AvalonMiner-8-development

About running the miner without tools I can't seem to find someone successful running it without raspi and au3.

Check the guide here if you need a guide https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5044027.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Argenttenir (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2022, 12:43:23 AM

Thank you so much for the help. The 851 is on its way. I am going to be using it in the shop to keep it above freezing temp this winter to. I already had a 3b+ good to know it won't work and get frustrated. The auc 3 converter runs around 30$ from US does that sound right? There are many on ebay from china but I get tired of expecting it to be here in 2 weeks and it takes 3 months or never shows. Any way again thank you for the help on my endeavor.
Argenttenir (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2022, 02:02:20 AM
Last edit: October 11, 2022, 06:08:18 AM by Argenttenir

So all the links I have found so far to download the firmware is either dead or reverts back to the cannan site where its not listed. Is there an alternate place to download the firmware and software.?........

I think I found it to whoever this may help in the future. This looks like its for all the downloads. If someone knows where to pin this for someone else that would be great. Nothing came up for a search for me on the forum.

https://download.canaan-creative.com/
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2022, 12:28:02 PM

Thank you so much for the help. The 851 is on its way. I am going to be using it in the shop to keep it above freezing temp this winter to. I already had a 3b+ good to know it won't work and get frustrated. The auc 3 converter runs around 30$ from US does that sound right? There are many on ebay from china but I get tired of expecting it to be here in 2 weeks and it takes 3 months or never shows. Any way again thank you for the help on my endeavor.

Why not try to find someone near you who has raspi 3 and swap it with your 3b+? You can maybe find someone in your area(I'm just suggesting if you don't want to spend).
$30 for AUC3 is pretty expensive Zeusbtc is selling this for around $6 but the problem is minimum order must be 10.
However, you can try to contact them maybe they will give an exemption. Here's the link https://www.zeusbtc.com/ASIC-Miner-Repair/Parts-Tools-Details.asp?ID=303

I think I found it to whoever this may help in the future. This looks like its for all the downloads. If someone knows where to pin this for someone else that would be great. Nothing came up for a search for me on the forum.

https://download.canaan-creative.com/

No, you don't need to pin it because it's already on the Canaan support page under the firmware page.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2022, 01:12:34 AM

I have tried logging in through a laptop direct with no help does it need to be a crossover or can it be a straight through cat5?
For a direct PC-miner connection you need a crossover cable. If you connect through a switch or router then cable does not matter as the switch will handle which lines are for Tx and which are Rx.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Skot

Activity: 212
Merit: 241

bitaxe.org

View Profile
October 24, 2022, 03:36:55 PM

I have tried logging in through a laptop direct with no help does it need to be a crossover or can it be a straight through cat5?
For a direct PC-miner connection you need a crossover cable. If you connect through a switch or router then cable does not matter as the switch will handle which lines are for Tx and which are Rx.

The Raspberry pi or any somewhat recent laptop will auto sense the ethernet RX and TX lines, so it does not matter if you use a crossover cable or not (Auto-MDIX). The problem with a direct connection is more likely; who is assigning IP addresses? Look for some "internet sharing" type option on your laptop.
Argenttenir (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2022, 08:12:37 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2022, 04:52:52 AM by Argenttenir

Sorry about that I accidently deleted my pre post while editing.
 The straight through cable does work well. I was using the wrong card option on the laptop. switched pi dhcp and its good there. Only problem I have now is there is no cgminer tabs. Only the openwrt I have used the latest download from canaan only mistake i think i could have made was setting up the pi so i can ssh and then hooking it up to the miner. Kinda weird it's not there though. Additionally, there is not an avalon gui that pops up I had just assumed the latest firmware did not have it.

I guess I have to load the mm into it trying to figure out how.

UPDATE-- Got it Smiley I reloaded the sd card and booted it with it hooked up to the miner, I have the avalon gui now. Hashing now. Still hashing but it  flipped over to opnwrt gui. I will ll work on it.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2022, 06:48:04 PM

Still hashing but it  flipped over to opnwrt gui. I will ll work on it.
As I recall In the lower-left corner of the GUI there is some text you click on to toggle back to the Avalon GUI.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: