Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 11:41:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scanning barcode to make payment  (Read 292 times)
sheenshane
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1228

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2023, 11:41:25 PM
Merited by SquirrelJulietGarden (1)

Why a barcode instead of a QR code?
I have read that barcodes have limited data capacity and can typically store a small amount of information, such as product identification numbers not like QR codes have a much larger data capacity than barcodes.  They can store various types of data, such as alphanumeric characters, binary data, and even hyperlinks.

IMO, the QR code has more advantages than the barcode.
Though both barcodes and QR codes serve as machine-readable data representations still they are possible risks just like QR codes that can be used to link to URLs or execute certain actions when scanned.  Possibly this can be exploited by malicious scammers to direct users to phishing websites or it could direct malware infected on their devices.

As a payment, it's good for me a manual copy of the sending address.

▄▄███████
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████▄██████████▄
▄██████████▄████████████▄
█████████████████████████
████████▄████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀████████▐████████████▀
▀██████▐████████████▀
▀██████████████▀
███████▀▀

INSTANT 
██████████████████████
████████▀░░░░▀████████
█████▀░▄█▀▀█▄░▀█████
██████░▄▀░░░░▀▄░██████
██████░█░░░░░░█░██████
██████▄░▀▄▄▄▄▀░▄██████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████
███░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░███
██▌░▐█░░░░░░░░░░█▌░▐██
██░░░█░░░░▄▄░░░░█░░░██
███▄░█▌░░▀██▀░░▐█░▄███
██████▌░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████████████████████

NO KYC  OWN LIQUIDITY RESERVES  
 BTC 

ETH 

LTC 
 DOGE 

TRX  

BNB  
 TRC20 

ERC20 

BEP20 

SWAP NOW   
SquirrelJulietGarden

Activity: 1358
Merit: 747

View Profile
July 24, 2023, 02:39:24 AM

Why a barcode instead of a QR code?
I have read that barcodes have limited data capacity and can typically store a small amount of information, such as product identification numbers not like QR codes have a much larger data capacity than barcodes.  They can store various types of data, such as alphanumeric characters, binary data, and even hyperlinks.

IMO, the QR code has more advantages than the barcode.
Though both barcodes and QR codes serve as machine-readable data representations still they are possible risks just like QR codes that can be used to link to URLs or execute certain actions when scanned.  Possibly this can be exploited by malicious scammers to direct users to phishing websites or it could direct malware infected on their devices.

As a payment, it's good for me a manual copy of the sending address.
Do I miss that with Bitcoin, we can make a transaction by a public address to receive bitcoin or with a QR code, but not with a bar code ?

Honestly I have never heard about using a bar code for a Bitcoin transaction. From Bitcoin Core to Electrum wallet, I only see QR codes.

How to use the Electrum wallet receive tab.
Bitcoin Core wallet, use QR code

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
YUriy1991

Activity: 938
Merit: 250

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
July 25, 2023, 02:29:17 AM

This Is probably a stupid question but I need to ask, is there any risk to scan a barcode at store or anywhere to use crypto wallet to make payment?

For fiat transactions, we can easily find this for several banks and currently their customers can use Quick Response Code or QR Code technology for transactions. Indeed there are vulnerabilities as well and technically the QR Code can be replaced and faked but for that only one confirmation is it true that you want to transfer it to this name?

The main problem is that QR codes are difficult to distinguish genuine from fake by the human eye.

Well, for QR Code transactions using a crypto wallet to make payments is not much different, I think only if you do the suggestion only for small transactions and use an alternative wallet, not the main asset wallet when you shop at trade outlets that facilitate this. True, OP learned from the example of the case in China at the end of 2017 which cost consumers more than US$13 million caused by QR code fraud.

UchihaSarada

Activity: 448
Merit: 141

View Profile
July 25, 2023, 03:13:23 AM

The main problem is that QR codes are difficult to distinguish genuine from fake by the human eye.
This is my worry too.

I also worry about risk with QR codes when I use them as my back ups for activation codes in Two Factor Authentication applications. If I write down the activation code, one or few characters are blurry by water, fire or whatever, I will feel like I still have chance to recover it. With QR codes, I feel it is hopelessly and like no chance.

QR codes provide convenience and save time so people love those codes and I agree with you that we can not use human eyes to check QR codes like with public addresses.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: