Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:54:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto news in plain English. Let's read it!  (Read 154 times)
a298b112 (OP)

Activity: 139
Merit: 36

View Profile
November 07, 2022, 01:32:21 PM

For those who are new in the town and might not know all the details and story behind the news. And the jargon doesn't help. So, let's start this thread and help beginners to understand the news.
Here anyone can post a news, tweet or a question and ask others to explain it in plain English. Explain Like I'm Five basically.

Here is the first such a request from me:

Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao tweets:

Liquidating our FTT is just post-exit risk management, learning from LUNA. We gave support before, but we won't pretend to make love after divorce. We are not against anyone. But we won't support people who lobby against other industry players behind their backs. Onwards.

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1589374530413215744?s=20&t=K5YKbRlcssl0g8QoglZpLA

What is this all about? FTX was lobbying behind the Binance?

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 07, 2022, 01:42:09 PM

Binance looks like they're accusing FTX of lobbying behind them. I think this is probably something done based off closeness to regulators, because ftx and coinbase are regulated exchanges they might be closer to regulators and therefor might find it easy to lobby against new and other firms in the same space (which is often done anyway with many different sectors in history imo).

The question here is why did binance publish this? What are they trying to do with that? A lot of the channels I've seen seem to suggest they're trying to get a response from FTX too on it or trying to cause liquidity problems with the exchange. It might also have been an attempt to cause a crash and see if one exchange was better at dealing with it than the other.
a298b112 (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2022, 02:07:12 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2022, 10:34:00 AM by Mr. Big

Binance looks like they're accusing FTX of lobbying behind them. I think this is probably something done based off closeness to regulators, because ftx and coinbase are regulated exchanges they might be closer to regulators and therefor might find it easy to lobby against new and other firms in the same space (which is often done anyway with many different sectors in history imo).

The question here is why did binance publish this? What are they trying to do with that? A lot of the channels I've seen seem to suggest they're trying to get a response from FTX too on it or trying to cause liquidity problems with the exchange. It might also have been an attempt to cause a crash and see if one exchange was better at dealing with it than the other.

thanks, yeah seems to be really strange situation.
If FTX will fail, that would be big given their size. Failing FTX could drag others as well, including Binance. No?

But then why would Binance announce it? I am sure they know that going public about their plans to liquidate FTT will bring the price of the token down. They've could first liquidate it, then announce it.
Myleschetty

Activity: 1155
Merit: 78

View Profile
November 07, 2022, 02:33:12 PM
Merited by fillippone (2)

What is this all about? FTX was lobbying behind the Binance?

According to some Tweets posted by Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao, this further explains the reason behind his action. All this happened because CZ was doing some house cleaning after a piece of news broke out that some billions of USD worth of FTX token which was said to own by Alameda Research the balance sheet wasn’t reflective of the true story in other to prevent any fool play CZ decide to exit the platform.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 07, 2022, 11:49:56 PM
Merited by a298b112 (1)

If FTX will fail, that would be big given their size. Failing FTX could drag others as well, including Binance. No?

I don't think it'd leave ftx to fail but it looks like they charge fees using that token so it might cause them problems with that (but I doubt they'd collapse just from one holder selling).

If they did collapse, they'd hurt crypto and binance. I don't know why binance would want to hurt themselves over this unless they have large cash reserves they want to invest in bitcoin or something (that's really not unlikely) or they could buy coinbase if ftx fails and dominate a lot of the market and also fast track their own regulation (who else will be wanting to own an exchange that might be crushed somehow or has very fierce competition)?

But then why would Binance announce it? I am sure they know that going public about their plans to liquidate FTT will bring the price of the token down. They've could first liquidate it, then announce it.

As another thought, maybe they're testing the strength of ftx and their reserves. If they publish they're going to sell the tokens publicly, does it give ftx some time to say they'll reach a settlement to buy those tokens rather than them being dumped on an exchange and driving the price down?

I see no other reason for them to announce it publicly unless a regulator they want to appease has it in their terms that acquisitions over certain amounts should be disclosed (I think US regulators normally have this set at a max of 10% of market cap of the "stock" you're disposing of for companies, it might be more depending on size and regulator). .
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3831

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 08, 2022, 06:34:20 AM

Binance moving their FTT holdings was pretty public on Twitter already because of people watching on-chain movements; CZ's tweet pretty much just confirmed it because people we're already tagging him asking him about Binance's FTT holdings in the first place.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
a298b112 (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2022, 06:41:14 AM

Binance moving their FTT holdings was pretty public on Twitter already because of people watching on-chain movements; CZ's tweet pretty much just confirmed it because people we're already tagging him asking him about Binance's FTT holdings in the first place.

yeah could be, then the question is why Binance was moving their FTT. I think now everyone know that something bigger going on there. FTT dropped to 15.06 USDT at some point. We will see.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3831

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 08, 2022, 06:58:04 AM

yeah could be, then the question is why Binance was moving their FTT. I think now everyone know that something bigger going on there. FTT dropped to 15.06 USDT at some point. We will see.

As per the Tweet, CZ already claimed that it was because they're planning on selling them hence the move. As far as I know they're going to TWAP sell the FTT, despite the chart looking like they dumped all the FTT in one go.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cryptoaddictchie
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1315

View Profile
November 08, 2022, 08:14:20 AM

CZ is serious to unload their FTT bag as they dont want to have ties anymore with FTX. We can see clearly the drama over the net and social against their comment on each other. But I think Sam drop some break on his latest tweet about collaboration addresing to CZ, but maybe he wouldnt do it since the damages on social network has circulated already.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
a298b112 (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2022, 01:07:51 PM

How about this news?

Binance Releases Wallet Addresses of $69B Crypto Reserve

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/11/10/binance-releases-wallet-addresses-of-69b-crypto-reserve/

Basically two questions:

1. Cold wallet and reserves. Does it mean all those reserves belong to them? It is not user funds? It is their own funds? Is this what they saying?
2. What is Merkle Tree (proof-of-funds)? I guess it is important in this case.
a298b112 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2022, 02:45:42 PM

So now when FTX is bankrupt, why FTT is still trading in some exchanges?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: