Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:28:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $3.20 in one big buy?  (Read 6237 times)
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 02:52:47 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2011, 03:09:35 PM by Technomage

My take on the analysis in this thread is that it's clueless. What we're seeing are further signs of a reversal and right now we are seeing more and more bear traps going off. A longer term reversal can only be called after we break $3.8 and $4 though but that happening will not cause a drop to $2 (a ridiculous idea) but it will in fact multiply the demand from the players who follow trends. And many do.

A drop to $2 in any near future is getting more and more unlikely at this point and if we pass $3.8 I'm willing to bet that it's not going to happen for a very long time at least. My own take on the situation is that it's only a matter of time when we don't see prices under $3 anymore. The buying opportunities at those prices are close to over. If not yet, then definitely soon.

The whole talk about manipulators playing games is irrelevant. What we are seeing is more and more small and big players changing back to a buying long strategy which will make any price crashes that much more difficult. Players with a long strategy are in no hurry to sell. Not going to sell at $3.5 and not going to sell at $4 either. Miners holding bitcoins are investors as well and not all of them are going to mass sell at $4, some of them are investing for long term because they see the possibility of further price increase.

Most fundamentals support the current market behaviour strongly. We are seeing a surge of activity in the Bitcoin community, everyone is doing something to improve Bitcoin. We've recently had the best media coverage in the history of Bitcoin. We obviously had much more media coverage during the summer, but a high percentage of that coverage was focused on the massive percentage gains in Bitcoin price. Now we're finally getting some coverage that is positive in some other way than as a speculation vehicle. And we've basically had no bad news which is one reason why the coverage has been so good.

One of the strongest fundamentals in my book, the transaction count, is looking more and more like it's making a reversal. Here is the chart for both raw values and 7 day average, look at it: http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions & http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions?showDataPoints=false&timespan=&daysAverageString=7&scale=0

Bottom line is that unless the transactions go back into decline mode, the price will not go back to decline mode either. And I have a really hard time seeing that happening, Bitcoin is the most important invention of 21st century so far. At this time it's hard for me to see how the usage of Bitcoin is going down, I see it going up tremendously during 2012.

The peak transaction counts for 2011 will be broken and the one thing I know for sure is that when that happens people will regret that they didn't buy more coins when we were at the bottom. Even I will regret it because I only have the guts to invest a relatively small amount of my wealth to bitcoins.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fastandfurious

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:03:28 PM

My take on the analysis in this thread is that it's clueless. What we're seeing are further signs of a reversal and right now we are seeing more and more bear traps going off. A longer term reversal can only be called after we break $3.8 and $4 though but that happening will not cause a drop to $2 (a ridiculous idea) but it will in fact multiply the demand from the players who follow trends. And many do.

A drop to $2 in any near future is getting more and more unlikely at this point and if we pass $3.8 I'm willing to bet that it's not going to happen for a very long time at least. My own take on the situation is that it's only a matter of time when we don't see prices under $3 anymore. The buying opportunities at those prices are close to over. If not yet, then definitely soon.

The whole talk about manipulators playing games is irrelevant. What we are seeing is more and more small and big players changing back to a buying long strategy which will make any price crashes that much more difficult. Players with a long strategy are in no hurry to sell. Not going to sell at $3.5 and not going to sell at $4 either. Miners holding bitcoins are investors as well and not all of them are going to mass sell at $4, some of them are investing for long term because they see the possibility of further price increase.

Most fundamentals support the current market behaviour strongly. We are seeing a surge of activity in the Bitcoin community, everyone is doing something to improve Bitcoin. We've recently had the best media coverage in the history of Bitcoin. We obviously had much more media coverage during the summer, but a high percentage of that coverage was focused on the massive percentage gains in Bitcoin price. Now we're finally getting some coverage that is positive in some other way than as a speculation vehicle. And we've basically had no bad news which is a good sign as well.

One of the strongest fundamentals in my book, the transaction count, is looking more and more like it's making a complete reversal. Here is the chart for both raw values and 7 day average, look at it: http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions & http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions?showDataPoints=false&timespan=&daysAverageString=7&scale=0

Bottom line is that unless the transactions go back into decline mode, the price will not go back to decline mode either.

My guess is that you have been wrong with your predictions for the last 6 months. This is a beginners mistake of a bull trap.

So lets see who is right for the next three months, I think the price is much closer 2 dollars in 3 months, and from what you have been writing you don't believe that. The price today is at 3.34 dollars.
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:17:48 PM

My guess is that you have been wrong with your predictions for the last 6 months. This is a beginners mistake of a bull trap.
You are incorrect. I was wrong for a time which cost me some money but I basically got it all back during the decline from $8 to $2. During that time my understanding of the market has improved massively and ever since I've been right most of the time.

So lets see who is right for the next three months, I think the price is much closer 2 dollars in 3 months, and from what you have been writing you don't believe that. The price today is at 3.34 dollars.
I don't like calling prices for a specified timeframe, especially not now. Even if I'm seeing signs of a reversal, it's is only confirmed when we pass the $3.8 - $4 area. Before that happens I simply think going back to $2 is unlikely, not impossible. We could still be bouncing between $2 and $4 for a while longer.

But what I do believe in is that Bitcoin is here to stay which means that sooner or later, most likely sooner, the transaction counts start going up again and then prices below $3 are history. When this happens exactly is hard to say but both the price and the transaction counts are showing signs of a reversal. Signs are just signs though, it's the same as hearing rumors about something. We need more to confirm it.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
fastandfurious

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:29:21 PM

You are incorrect. I was wrong for a time which cost me some money but I basically got it all back during the decline from $8 to $2. During that time my understanding of the market has improved massively and ever since I've been right most of the time.

I don't like calling prices for a specified timeframe, especially not now. Even if I'm seeing signs of a reversal, it's is only confirmed when we pass the $3.8 - $4 area. Before that happens I simply think going back to $2 is unlikely, not impossible. We could still be bouncing between $2 and $4 for a while longer.

But what I do believe in is that Bitcoin is here to stay which means that sooner or later, most likely sooner, the transaction counts start going up again and then prices below $3 are history. When this happens exactly is hard to say but both the price and the transaction counts are showing signs of a reversal. Signs are just signs though, it's the same as hearing rumors about something. We need more to confirm it.

By saying "this is only confirmed when we pass the $3.8 - $4" shows me that you don't know what you are talking about, passing 4 dollars doesn't mean that it will will go higher. Fact. It means it could go higher as well as the way I see it, that it will go back to low 2 dollars. 3.34 x 7200 equals 24 000 USD. That is a pretty high number to sustain, then imagine that it will go to 5 dollars, that is over 35 000 USD that will need to go in to the Bitcoin Economy each day. Not possible with the fundamentals today. The reality is that this is most likely a bull trap.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:31:26 PM

After this enormous weekend rally, I can see $4 from my house!

(BFL)^2 < 0
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:38:06 PM

its been a while since i've looked at the level 2 but what strikes me now vs just a few months ago is the increase in liquidity we're seeing.  there are bids and asks at every penny up and down both books.  we didn't used to see this.

also the shape of the bid vs ask side is interesting.  whereas most of the high volume sells are stacked up close to the price, most of the bids are placed further back while the total bid value book is much higher than the asks.

what this means to me is if the bulls can crack those asks up to $3.50 there should be relatively clear sailing to $4 and probably beyond.

this is totally expected behavior at this point in the cycle with whats going on in the general economy as well as the bitcoin economy.  the bulls are back in business.
antoineph

Activity: 181

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:41:43 PM

I would just like to point out that the total bids to total asks ratio (in USD) since last night's rise has gone up.
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:43:37 PM

By saying "this is only confirmed when we pass the $3.8 - $4" shows me that you don't know what you are talking about, passing 4 dollars doesn't mean that it will will go higher. Fact. It means it could go higher as well as the way I see it, that it will go back to low 2 dollars. 3.34 x 7200 equals 24 000 USD. That is a pretty high number to sustain, then imagine that it will go to 5 dollars, that is over 35 000 USD that will need to go in to the Bitcoin Economy each day. Not possible with the fundamentals today. The reality is that this is most likely a bull trap.
This is nothing but flawed thinking. The "7200 x price" calculations are useless and don't mean anything. For mainly two reasons. First of all the inflating amount of bitcoins is not the same thing as the inflating amount of let's say, dollars. New bitcoins are created by users and many of them decide to save bitcoins instead of selling them. This makes a good portion of miners actually investors at the same time and the decisions they make are based on the same type of reasoning as they are for investors.

So if we can assume that more investors are starting to buy bitcoins using a long term strategy, there are a lot of miners doing the same as well. So the selling pressure the miners cause is also largely dependent on market psychology. The effect of new coins to the price is not a static "7200". It varies based on many factors and some of them are the same factors that cause an investor to either buy or sell.

Then there is the other reason which is simply the fact that Bitcoin is such a small currency, so dominated by speculation, that the inflationary properties have little effect in any case. The amount of volume that is caused by day traders, investors, speculators is so large that it makes even the maximum of 7200 per day seem quite a small amount.

It's the demand and the faith of all the players in the market that move the market. The same 7200 coins were created every day when we skyrocketed to $32. I admit that the new coins do cause some selling pressure but it's a minor issue. The key issue is market sentiment, this affects the price a hell of a lot more than the "issue" of 7200 coins created every day.

fastandfurious

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:46:17 PM

its been a while since i've looked at the level 2 but what strikes me now vs just a few months ago is the increase in liquidity we're seeing.  there are bids and asks at every penny up and down both books.  we didn't used to see this.

also the shape of the bid vs ask side is interesting.  whereas most of the high volume sells are stacked up close to the price, most of the bids are placed further back while the total bid value book is much higher than the asks.

what this means to me is if the bulls can crack those asks up to $3.50 there should be relatively clear sailing to $4 and probably beyond.

this is totally expected behavior at this point in the cycle with whats going on in the general economy as well as the bitcoin economy.  the bulls are back in business.

Bulls are back in business because they work and think as a herd, they buy in when things goes at the right direction in the short term (all of them at the same time) and forget all about the long term fundamentals. Then they cry when the price after a while gets back to where the Bitcoin Economy is at right now with the high inflation environment. This bull periods can ONLY happen in a short term fashion.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:50:15 PM

the bulls are back in business.
Bulls are back in business because they work and think as a herd, they buy in when things goes at the right direction in the short term (all of them at the same time) and forget all about the long term fundamentals. Then they cry when the price after a while gets back to where the Bitcoin Economy is at right now with the high inflation environment. This bull periods can ONLY happen in a short term fashion.
Bulls are always in business Angry.

Compare this rally to the one in May, or the drops to $2 recently. Which looks healthier? The May rally was quite obviously a bubble. The drops to $2 were unsustainable panics. This one is different: by my analysis we're going to $4 by January.
fastandfurious

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:50:23 PM

This is nothing but flawed thinking. The "7200 x price" calculations are useless and don't mean anything. For mainly two reasons. First of all the inflating amount of bitcoins is not the same thing as the inflating amount of let's say, dollars. New bitcoins are created by users and many of them decide to save bitcoins instead of selling them. This makes a good portion of miners actually investors at the same time and the decisions they make for selling bitcoins are exactly the same as they are for investors.

So if we can assume that more investors are starting to buy bitcoins using a long term strategy, there are a lot of miners doing the same as well. So the selling pressure the miners cause is also largely dependent on market psychology. The effect of new coins to the price is not a static "7200". It varies based on many factors and some of them are the same factors that cause an investor to either buy or sell.

Then there is the other reason which is simply the fact that Bitcoin is such a small currency, so dominated by speculation, that the inflationary properties have little effect in any case. The amount of volume that is caused by day traders, investors, speculators is so large that it makes even the maximum of 7200 per day seem quite a small amount.

It's the demand and the faith of all the players in the market that move the market. The same 7200 coins were created every day when we skyrocketed to $32. I admit that the new coins do cause some selling pressure but I it's a minor issue. The key issue is market sentiment, this affects the price a hell of a lot more than the "issue" of 7200 coins created every day.

The Bitcoin Economy cost some kind of effort, we can calculate it pretty easy in fiat money, in USD it is equal of 7200 x actual price / day. That is the fact long term, short term many things can happen. The miners pay for their bitcoins as well, it is a cost, same way it cost money for the fiat buyers. The Bitcoin Economy isn't that big today to handle a 4-5 dollar price with todays inflation rate. Maybe it can handle a 3 dollar price, but more likely it will go down to two dollars again.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:53:46 PM

someone sounds like they're caught in a short position.
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 03:55:47 PM

The Bitcoin Economy cost some kind of effort, we can calculate it pretty easy in fiat money, in USD it is equal of 7200 x actual price / day. That is the fact long term, short term many things can happen. The miners pay for their bitcoins as well, it is a cost, same way it cost money for the fiat buyers. The Bitcoin Economy isn't that big today to handle a 4-5 dollar price with todays inflation rate. Maybe it can handle a 3 dollar price, but more likely it will go down to two dollars again.
The price the Bitcoin economy can handle based on real trade demand is for sure MUCH lower than the price we're currently at. A large percentage of the price is based on expectations. But this is how it always is, the speculative demand varies but it's never 0. To me the most healthy way for Bitcoin to grow is that the speculative demand doesn't skyrocket to totally unsustainable heights as it did when we bubbled and overshot massively. What I hope for is that the real economy grows causing real trade demand to grow. The speculative demand can stay well ahead and that's fine, but it's not sustainable if the difference between the two grow too large.

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:55:56 PM

That is a pretty high number to sustain, then imagine that it will go to 5 dollars, that is over 35 000 USD that will need to go in to the Bitcoin Economy each day. Not possible with the fundamentals today. The reality is that this is most likely a bull trap.
This is nothing but flawed thinking. The "7200 x price" calculations are useless and don't mean anything. For mainly two reasons. First of all the inflating amount of bitcoins is not the same thing as the inflating amount of let's say, dollars. New bitcoins are created by users and many of them decide to save bitcoins instead of selling them. This makes a good portion of miners actually investors at the same time and the decisions they make for selling bitcoins are exactly the same as they are for investors.

As supply increases and demand remains the same, the price will try to fall. That much is obvious. But there are two false assumptions there: 1) supply increases and 2) demand remains the same. Even if we do assume the 2) is true, 1) is still left unproven. In fact, going by your theory that the miners are selling their coins, supply should be remaining relatively constant.

What we might be looking at is an increase of demand because of speculation. And speculation is a good thing: it pushes the price up. The amount of Bitcoins minted each day is a constant until December 2012, and if we assume this is supply then demand only needs to stay constant for price to not go down. As speculation increases, demand will increase with it - fueling a bull market.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:59:55 PM

What the economy can handle based on real trade demand is for sure MUCH less than the price we're currently at. A large percentage of the price is based on expectations. But this is how it always is, the speculative demand varies but it's never 0. To me the most healthy way for Bitcoin to grow is that the speculative demand doesn't skyrocket to totally unsustainable heights as it did when we bubbled and overshot massively. What I hope for is that the real economy grows causing real trade demand to grow. The speculative demand can stay well ahead and that's fine, but it's not sustainable if the difference between the two grow too large.

this is correct.

the point about the 7200 btc inflation is also.  the point is that its predictable with a known decline rate unlike the USD.  investors have calculated that rate into their models and expect a much higher price than what we have currently.  in this sense Bitcoin is acting like a stock which will have an increased value in the future.
fastandfurious

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 04:05:29 PM

That is a pretty high number to sustain, then imagine that it will go to 5 dollars, that is over 35 000 USD that will need to go in to the Bitcoin Economy each day. Not possible with the fundamentals today. The reality is that this is most likely a bull trap.

As supply increases and demand remains the same, the price will try to fall. That much is obvious. But there are two false assumptions there: 1) supply increases and 2) demand remains the same. Even if we do assume the 2) is true, 1) is still left unproven. In fact, going by your theory that the miners are selling their coins, supply should be remaining relatively constant.

What we might be looking at is an increase of demand because of speculation. And speculation is a good thing: it pushes the price up. The amount of Bitcoins minted each day is a constant until December 2012, and if we assume this is supply then demand only needs to stay constant for price to not go down. As speculation increases, demand will increase with it - fueling a bull market.

Yes, but the price of one Bitcoin makes a lot more harder to sustain when it is at 5-6 dollars, sustaining high prices would have to give a lot of money/effort in some way to this Economy long term. Once again, because of the high inflation environment for every dollar the price is higher it will need to get around 2,6 million dollars in to the Economy in some way, let it be miners that keep their Bitcoins or fresh fiat buyers at the exchanges. This is a fact, short term people miss this fundamental fact and then cry ans ask why the price is once again down. Because of that every intelligent investor should know that and take advantage of that and don't get caught in the exaggerated bull thinking.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 04:08:18 PM

Yes, but the price of one Bitcoin makes a lot more harder to sustain when it is at 5-6 dollars, sustaining high prices would have to give a lot of money/effort in some way to this Economy long term. Once again, because of the high inflation environment for every dollar the price is higher it will need to get around 2,6 million dollars in to the Economy in some way, let it be miners that keep their Bitcoins or fresh fiat buyers at the exchanges. This is a fact, short term people miss this fundamental fact and then cry ans ask why the price is once again down. Because of that every intelligent investor should now that and take advantage of that and don't get caught in the exaggerated bull thinking.

by making the Economy argument you are totally dismissing speculation or investor demand. 

explain to me for instance why gold is at $1700?  there is zero economy wrapped around that.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 04:12:35 PM

This is nothing but flawed thinking.
The Bitcoin Economy cost some kind of effort, we can calculate it pretty easy in fiat money, in USD it is equal of 7200 x actual price / day.
Yes, but the price of one Bitcoin makes a lot more harder to sustain when it is at 5-6 dollars, sustaining high prices would have to give a lot of money/effort in some way to this Economy long term. Once again, because of the high inflation environment for every dollar the price is higher it will need to get around 2,6 million dollars in to the Economy in some way, let it be miners that keep their Bitcoins or fresh fiat buyers at the exchanges. This is a fact, short term people miss this fundamental fact and then cry ans ask why the price is once again down. Because of that every intelligent investor should now that and take advantage of that and don't get caught in the exaggerated bull thinking.
Of course it is harder to sustain, but if the price can go up to $5-$6 it can sustain $5-$6 too. Consider the Austrailian dollar: as people who buy it usually sell it later, there is a giant amount of downwards pressure on it. But the price is sustaining itself not because it's used in Austrailia, but because the traders believe in its value. This is what cypherdoc and I mean by speculative demand.

Right now, the bulls are dominant and believe $4 is possible. And that entails that it is. It may happen in days, or it may happen in January, but I think it will at least happen before February. After that, dieing bullish sentiment will entail a correction - but for now, we are in a bull market.
fastandfurious

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 04:24:51 PM

by making the Economy argument you are totally dismissing speculation or investor demand.  

explain to me for instance why gold is at $1700?  there is zero economy wrapped around that.

I thought more of you cypherdoc, now I understand why you are a super bull, you don't get the fundamentals. Gold is very special, why? Because the total amount of gold and the gold that is refined every year are very very different, the amount is something like 2 % a year that is added to total amount (supply) of gold, that is the reason new supply doesn't have a big impact. Bitcoin will be there some day as well, in like 6-7 years time. Today the inflation rate is around 30 %. If gold had a inflation rate of 30 % the price should have been at around the cost of creating it (plus a margin of a couple of %). Do you see the point now?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 04:30:45 PM

My amateur analysis is predicated on a correlation to recent media stories. As anecdotal evidence, two nights ago at a business related dinner I met a person who had already heard of bitcoin. My wife practically did a spit-take when he mentioned it. He saw an article by wired. Then again last night at a party I hosted, a friend says he read about somewhere. This morning I have another speaker request in my email.
There is a lot happening right now and despite organized attack, bitcoin is still standing. That has attracted new attention and changed the way bitcoin is portrayed. The old message was something like; "Bitcoins are a type of electronic Monopoly money used to buy hit men". Now the articles are more sensible and less sensational. They also tend to focus on contrasting it against the current state of the euro and dollar.

Congrats your all early adopters all over again. Grin

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: