Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:53:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized fiat global currency  (Read 69 times)
TheSailorman (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2022, 04:42:39 AM

Wanted to understand if there is a concept of a truly decentralised fiat, with no government control, but collated to real world. It's high time such a currency comes to fruition, specially with CBDC's etc.  Huh

Is there is any project going on to build it ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
November 20, 2022, 04:58:25 AM
Merited by Three Millionth User (1)

Wanted to understand if there is a concept of a truly decentralised fiat, with no government control, but collated to real world. It's high time such a currency comes to fruition, specially with CBDC's etc.  Huh

I have heard of a project called Bitcoin that might be what you are looking for.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
TheSailorman (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 20, 2022, 06:03:46 AM

I have heard of a project called Bitcoin that might be what you are looking for.

Smiley

But then even bitcoin is pegged to a fiat, to make it usable.

I am trying to understand is there a better solution to this pegging to government-controlled fiat currencies.  Huh
Three Millionth User
Yes, really

Activity: 44
Merit: 16

I 🖤 Bitcoin

View Profile
November 20, 2022, 09:45:15 AM

But then even bitcoin is pegged to a fiat, to make it usable. I am trying to understand is there a better solution to this pegging to government-controlled fiat currencies?
Bitcoin is pegged to fiat as long as you think so. 1 BTC = 1 BTC

“Bitcoin is the beginning of something great: a currency without a government, something necessary and imperative“ Bitcoin HODL!
Dariona

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2022, 09:54:40 AM

I only trust Bitcoin and USDT. All)
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
November 20, 2022, 09:59:23 AM

Such is very counter intuitive. Hope you Google the different meanings of the Word "fiat" then compare that to the ideals of decentralized currency like Bitcoin. Fiat and truly Decentralized currency are contradictory. It should never be used together to mean Truly Decentralized due mainly to the fact that the first truly decentralized currency like Bitcoin is a voluntary currency system with participants who can join or leave the system at will.

Maybe Decentralized National currency will work OK rather than Decentralized Forced/imposed Currency.

Bitcoin could be called the currency of the free. The other is mostly for slaves.
moneystery

Activity: 672
Merit: 161

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2022, 01:42:02 PM

The concepts of decentralization and fiat in my opinion are two things that cannot be put together. Fiat itself runs with regulations from the government while decentralization is a concept where it eliminates the intervention of the government or third parties in the transaction system. So I don't think a project like the one you described probably won't exist.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
November 23, 2022, 10:15:41 PM

Wanted to understand if there is a concept of a truly decentralised fiat, with no government control, but collated to real world. It's high time such a currency comes to fruition, specially with CBDC's etc.  Huh Is there is any project going on to build it ?
But then even bitcoin is pegged to a fiat, to make it usable.

I am trying to understand is there a better solution to this pegging to government-controlled fiat currencies.  Huh
Bitcoin is not pegged to any other currency -- fiat, government, or otherwise.

"Pegged" means that the values are kept in sync. A USD stablecoin is "pegged" to the value of USD. Bitcoin is not "pegged" to anything.

The price being quoted in a particular currency does not mean that it is "pegged" to that currency. You can buy bitcoins with any currency. You can state its price in any currency. Its value changes with respect to those currencies, therefore it not pegged.

People use the word "fiat" to mean different things , such as
  • 1. controlled by a government
  • 2. has a value that can arbitrarily be set by some entity
  • 3. has a value not based on the value of anything else

Bitcoin is not a fiat currency with respect to the first two definitions, but it is a fiat currency according to #3.

Given all that, can you restate your original point more clearly?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: