Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:58:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does an encrypted wallet.dat file compare to Ledger/Trezor?  (Read 136 times)
snaka (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 5

View Profile
November 26, 2022, 01:08:01 AM

I want to move away from a self-custody hot wallet to cold storage. Instead of going with Ledger/Trezor, I plan on installing Bitcoin Core on an airgapped laptop and encrypting the wallets. That way I can just copy the wallet.dat file to many USB drives and keep them in different locations and I'd just have to remember the passphrase. I know I'd have to take a few extra steps if I needed to send funds out of those wallets, but don't plan on it as they are long term holds.

Would like to hear your thoughts on how that compares to going with a Ledger/Trezor.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sarah Azhari

Activity: 854
Merit: 737

View Profile
November 26, 2022, 01:28:47 AM

I want to move away from a self-custody hot wallet to cold storage. Instead of going with Ledger/Trezor, I plan on installing Bitcoin Core on an airgapped laptop and encrypting the wallets. That way I can just copy the wallet.dat file to many USB drives and keep them in different locations and I'd just have to remember the passphrase. I know I'd have to take a few extra steps if I needed to send funds out of those wallets, but don't plan on it as they are long term holds.

Would like to hear your thoughts on how that compares to going with a Ledger/Trezor.
using electrum is easier without downloading any data blockchain like you use core. So if you use electrum, keep the seed in different location like your planning, and don't forget to write in paper or steel.

and don't remember the passphrase, write it because the human memory has limited to remembering all things such as passwords, seeds, billing, girl friend phone number, and the passphrase. 
ObscurePen

Activity: 385
Merit: 266

View Profile
November 26, 2022, 01:59:01 AM

Both options are really good compared to a hot wallet however 'self-custody' it may be. I have personally seen Ledger being used for cold storage. It is quite small, so as long as you don't lose it, then there is no problem. Smiley
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 26, 2022, 03:16:59 AM

You don't need to maintain an air-gapped computer or even sync the block chain. With an extended public key imported into a wallet, you will always have a new address available for depositing bitcoins to your cold wallet, but they cannot be spent without using the recovery phrase.

1. Create a wallet on a clean computer.
2. Write down the recovery phrase or store it on a USB drive.
3. Copy the extended public key to another USB drive.
4. Wipe the computer.
5. Import the extended public key into a wallet.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
snaka (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 5

View Profile
November 26, 2022, 06:02:37 AM

You don't need to maintain an air-gapped computer or even sync the block chain. With an extended public key imported into a wallet, you will always have a new address available for depositing bitcoins to your cold wallet, but they cannot be spent without using the recovery phrase.

1. Create a wallet on a clean computer.
2. Write down the recovery phrase or store it on a USB drive.
3. Copy the extended public key to another USB drive.
4. Wipe the computer.
5. Import the extended public key into a wallet.

Thanks for sharing that. I tried to see if I could find a step by step tutorial on how to do this and came across this post. Is that the same process you've outlined?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5392824.0
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 26, 2022, 08:15:44 AM

Thanks for sharing that. I tried to see if I could find a step by step tutorial on how to do this and came across this post. Is that the same process you've outlined?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5392824.0
You don't need Bitcoin Core and those instructions go beyond what you need. Any wallet that gives you a recovery phrase and extended public key will do.

Tails is a good way to do a clean boot, but I don't know what wallets can be used with it. Electrum is probably your best choice of wallets. Just remember that Electrum does not use a recovery phrase BIP-39 by default.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2022, 06:46:31 PM

The problem with a wallet.dat and a password is that it's a single point of failure.

If whatever you wind up putting that file on when you want to send funds whenever in the future has any sort of malware / keylogger it's all over since they now have the file and your password.

But, with an external hardware wallet you avoid that risk.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀