Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:22:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW Bitcoinica hack! 30% of all funds stolen!  (Read 4095 times)
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 06:36:48 PM

Pirate's PWNing most of the market anyway and 40k is a drop in the ocean compared with what he has on hand so who cares?

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 06:41:55 PM

P.S.: I will donate 10k SPC (Spekulatius Coins) to them right now, redeeming them ASAP, personally.

Is it just me or is this Bruce Wagner redeeming Spekulatius Coins?

GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:42:55 PM

Now this is the Bitcoin I'm used to Smiley

:breathes in deep:

the smell of mutiny. I love it.

Be humble!
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:44:21 PM

Something like this.

P.S.: I kick harder
guruvan

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:49:24 PM

Why in the world did they they keep a online wallet? if the site is not even online

i dont get it..... do you?

Can't be stolen if it's not online, right? Yep. I get it all right. Someone let those funds be stolen on purpose.

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:52:44 PM

How do you guys think this will affect prices?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074.0

DISCUSS!..

P.S.: I will donate 10k SPC (Spekulatius Coins) to them right now, redeeming them ASAP, personally.

Prices will increase in long run

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 06:53:09 PM

Why in the world did they they keep a online wallet? if the site is not even online

i dont get it..... do you?

Can't be stolen if it's not online, right? Yep. I get it all right. Someone let those funds be stolen on purpose.

I think its time we change the meaning of Zonlathonged (how ever you spell it)

k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:58:05 PM

It's not clear what was done with the US$40k that was stolen but is it possible (likely) that they were used to buy bitcoins with to allow the bitcoins to be withdrawn thus driving the price up yesterday.

i.e. the hacker sent US$40k to some dummy account, immediately converts to bitcoins at whatever rate is available (pushing the price higher), then withdraws the bitcoin.

So this hack might have resulted in some "false" buying pressure. The hacker bought the bitcoins not because they were bullish about the value of bitcoin but rather because it is the most convenient and anonymous way to withdraw the money.
Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 08:54:32 PM

How do you guys think this will affect prices?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074.0

DISCUSS!..

no effect whatsoever

bitcoinica is only for the lulz
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 08:57:24 PM

It's not clear what was done with the US$40k that was stolen but is it possible (likely) that they were used to buy bitcoins with to allow the bitcoins to be withdrawn thus driving the price up yesterday.

i.e. the hacker sent US$40k to some dummy account, immediately converts to bitcoins at whatever rate is available (pushing the price higher), then withdraws the bitcoin.

So this hack might have resulted in some "false" buying pressure. The hacker bought the bitcoins not because they were bullish about the value of bitcoin but rather because it is the most convenient and anonymous way to withdraw the money.

I dunno if it is 'false' if it is the best way to solve a problem. It may be 'undone' soon, or maybe not, if the thief also considers it a solution to the long term storage problem.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:02:43 PM

no effect on price?

Yep, looks like the market has already written off bitcoinica and all the shit surrounding it.

This is actually the most surprising thing about the event. It was announced just after a new high for the year, and is still sitting there rather comfortably.

Most likely the $40k USD was withdrawn to Liberty Reserve.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:09:46 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2012, 01:52:52 PM by CoinDiver

*opens chart*

Not at all? It's hours-old news, market hasn't budged.

I think this one is balancing it all out:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/07/12/kim-dotcoms-pretrial-legal-funds-would-be-safe-with-bitcoin/

Yeah we need more uber scummyfuck bastards associated with bitcoin...

We need more people providing consumable services, and Dotcom might be in a position to do that with his up and coming music service.

We don't need more scammers or scammy services accociating with btc so we need to get rid of the scammers and their services.

great part of our community here doesn't see anything wrong with piracy, they accept it as some sort of Robin Hood action against evil, greedy corporations. Kimdotcom is their idol and hero who became a victim in their cause.

I know this... and I hate this about bitcoin... scummy fucks aren't Robin Hood... they are just greedy bastards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMkAVhMG4s
Things aren't always how you see them...

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 10:16:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMkAVhMG4

youtube says:

An error occurred during validation.
Sorry about that.

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:50:02 PM

No, limits on Bitcoin withdrawal/USD withdrawal are 40k each.  Even if the hacker converted the $40k to bitcoins,
(1) It wouldn't account for the whole volume of the rally yesterday (20k from 7.25 to 7.9)
(2) He could still only withdraw 40k BTC, so he might as well not touch the dollars...
(3) The dummy account would have to be verified.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 11:20:26 PM

No, limits on Bitcoin withdrawal/USD withdrawal are 40k each.  Even if the hacker converted the $40k to bitcoins,
(1) It wouldn't account for the whole volume of the rally yesterday (20k from 7.25 to 7.9)
(2) He could still only withdraw 40k BTC, so he might as well not touch the dollars...
(3) The dummy account would have to be verified.

Do you think they used false ID on the dummy account ? If not then I wonder who owned that account....

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 12:28:45 PM

The last Bitcoinica fiasco didn't really move the market so I'm expecting nothing from this one, except that it is a good excuse to start a natural correction since we've been on a huge rally mode. It seems that people are writing off hacks more easily these days and especially when it's related to Bitcoinica. Security seems to be the last thing on their mind, this recent fiasco was simply unbelievable.

I do feel really sad for the people involved, on both sides. Most likely both Bitcoinica and Bitcoin Consultancy will end up being sued big time and I support that. What happened was criminal negligence regardless of anything. Tihan should be the one to be investigated but so should the Intersango boys. It's a complete excuse at this point to say that "we didn't know". That counts for little, I hope.

We'll see what happens, I do think that this will become the first major legal case related to Bitcoin, especially now that USD was also stolen. It's going to be interesting. I support the victims (the depositors) and I hope that both Tihan (mostly him) and Bitcoin Consultancy (they are responsible as well at this point) get what they deserve.

As a final note I'll say that I didn't have a single BTC or USD at Bitcoinica. If I had, it would've been small amounts. The depositors need to blame themselves as well for trusting large amounts to a potential bucket shop but the level of absurdness with these hacks is such that I'm actually supporting the victims now. Bitcoinica and everyone related to it need to be sued in every relevant jurisdiction. Big time.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 03:53:01 PM

The hacker could have converted all of the remaining USD after the 40k was withdrawn to bump up the price, allowing them to sell bitcoins from the previous hack that were already fully laundered at a higher price. Nobody from Bitcoinica has told us that this didn't happen.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:14:32 AM

2012 is turning out to be the reverse of 2011.  Bitcoins get stolen.  Price goes up.

Maybe BitcoinicaHacker is saving them all up, ... waiting for another leveraged trading system to start up, and then use the coins to launch a selloff like we've not seen in over a year.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:53:55 PM

youtube says:

An error occurred during validation.
Sorry about that.

Sorry, missed the last letter in the link.

I fixed my original post as well.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: