Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 03:42:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issue with GekkoScience 8 Port Base Hub  (Read 78 times)
poonasor (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 01, 2023, 10:19:23 PM

Original topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5431064.0

I purchased 2 GekkoScience USB Hubs from 419Mining back in April 2022

the first one I opened and used - nothing was wrong with it, the 2nd one I opened back in October, and one by one the powered USB ports started to not get any power

I've attached a USB reader to each port for testing and this was using a FutureBit ApolloBTC 200W Power Supply
https://imgur.com/a/Z0X2okL

And just today, all of the 6A ports are getting no power the only 2 that works is the 2 fan ports

My next step is to try to get the barrel-type power supply and continue to test, hopefully, it'll fix the problem.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this with the GekkoScience USB Hub, really hope I can fix this hub

Now I'm noticing that the 2 Compac Fs I had on this hub are showing 0 chips found

thx in advance
Sledge0001

Activity: 600
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2023, 01:01:50 AM

I've burned up quite a few of these by pushing the sticks over 580MHz. The old hubs seem to die in sections of 2.

The newer ones have a "reset" when you leave the port unoccupied for a bit of time. The old ones don't seem to have anything that I've found to bring them back to life.

I'd be interested if you find a fix as I've got several in a similar state.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 02, 2023, 02:44:53 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2023, 09:12:39 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

There are 3x high current regulators, 1 for each pair pf ports. Each regulator is spec'd at 6A max to be divided between each of the 2 ports. The fix is to replace the blown regulators and drop your settings to pull less current than what they can supply.

The new ones use PTC-fuses to limit max current to each port to 3.5A(?) and yes once tripped they reset in a few min once they cool down.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
poonasor (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 02, 2023, 05:23:07 PM

I've burned up quite a few of these by pushing the sticks over 580MHz. The old hubs seem to die in sections of 2.

The newer ones have a "reset" when you leave the port unoccupied for a bit of time. The old ones don't seem to have anything that I've found to bring them back to life.

I'd be interested if you find a fix as I've got several in a similar state.

so I'm guessing I have an old hub since the 2 ports are going out at once then? how else would I be able to tell?

it's weird though cuz I have 3 hubs and 9 sticks going at one point, all of the other ones are fine including the 2 hubs

There are 3x high current regulators, 1 for each pair pf ports. The regulators are spec'd at 6A max to be divided between each of the 2 ports. The fix is to replace the blown regulators and drop your settings to pull less current than what they can supply.

The new ones use PTC-fuses to limit max current to each port to 3.5A(?) and yes once tripped they reset in a few min once they cool down.

do you know of any place where I can send my sticks to get them fixed? hub too?
Sledge0001

Activity: 600
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2023, 02:09:28 AM

If you find a place to fix your hubs I can send several to that company.

I'm interested in sending several in if you can! (assuming their US based).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: