All I want to know is whether they believe in that, or they just want to be controversial for the clicks

I am sure they don't believe it but they would like their users to believe it.
Regarding the Robbery protection/duress mode, has anyone tried using it since they made it available for free on the app store? I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it does not seem to work? I did setup the new PIN, but both the robbery protection as well as the original PIN seem to be opening and showing the same thing?
It works. I just tried it.
If you don't have PIN protection enabled in your wallet, Unstoppable will first ask you to create a PIN. After that, you enable duress mode and select which of your wallets you want the software to display when in duress mode. Since I only have one test wallet, I didn't select any and configured duress mode without loading any wallets. When I entered my duress mode PIN and tried it at startup, it loaded like it was the first time I opened Unstoppable Wallet. There is no wallet shown and it's asking me to create a new one. When I restart the app and enter my regular PIN, it loads my test wallet.
If you have multiple wallets, you just need to configure which one(s) you want to show in duress mode.