Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:09:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Old, formerly used keys / seeds should always be saved, not disposed  (Read 406 times)
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
May 15, 2022, 01:53:05 PM

In theory, a security researcher might find vulnerabilities in that HW wallet that would allow someone to make a copy of the HW wallet so someone can at least brute force password attempts.

The article claims that there is a person who says he can do it in 6 months with a 10% commission, but I do not know if the owner accepted the proposal - I did not find the news that he managed to get his BTC back.

Following the publicity of Thomas’s plight, Alex Stamos, an internet security expert at Stanford Internet Observatory, said he could crack the password within six months if Thomas gave him a 10% cut of the digital fortune
Anyone claiming to be able to help him would need to demonstrate their ability to clone the data on the device. Once the data has been cloned once, it becomes trivial to clone it an arbitrary number of times, and it becomes possible to brute force the passphrase. Obviously, the person would need to have some idea as to what their passphrase is.

If someone is at least somewhat reputable, and can demonstrate the above, I think it would likely make sense for them to agree to a 10% proposial.
Chilwell

Activity: 574
Merit: 425

The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>PID

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2023, 02:23:22 AM

< >

I will you to grant me permission to translate this topic to my local board naija "pidgin language"

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
1miau (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 6791

Currently not much available - see my websitelink

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2023, 03:06:26 AM

< >

I will you to grant me permission to translate this topic to my local board naija "pidgin language"
Of course, you can translate my topic.
You have my permission and I've reserved your language in my list:

Languagetranslated byTitle
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Nigeria (Naija)Chilwell (reserved)reserved

My topic "Old, formerly used keys / seeds should always be saved, not disposed" not a very long topic, but in my opinion, it's a very important advice.  Smiley

YUriy1991

Activity: 910
Merit: 221

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
November 06, 2023, 03:09:13 AM

Each coin serves a different purpose but they are all built on blockchain technology. The private part is called the private key. Make sure to protect it with a password and restore it regularly.

What we have to pay attention to when sending some BTC to anyone is always to make sure the recipient's address is correct and if necessary check 1 to 2 times so that we don't make a mistake because it could happen that if we are in a hurry when we paste the recipient's address we might read the last address which is not our target. Only the recipient can return the funds if he is kind enough because bitcoin transactions cannot be cancelled.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
taufik123
Legendary
artcontest

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1724

View Profile
November 06, 2023, 04:01:41 AM

Each coin serves a different purpose but they are all built on blockchain technology. The private part is called the private key. Make sure to protect it with a password and restore it regularly.
The wallet owner's job is not only to protect with a password but how can he or she fully protect from other people's access by storing the Bakcup seed in a safe place that cannot be accessed by anyone except you and those you trust.

What we have to pay attention to when sending some BTC to anyone is always to make sure the recipient's address is correct and if necessary check 1 to 2 times so that we don't make a mistake because it could happen that if we are in a hurry when we paste the recipient's address we might read the last address which is not our target. Only the recipient can return the funds if he is kind enough because bitcoin transactions cannot be cancelled.
Checking individual letters and numbers may be necessary when sending large amounts of BTC, or send a small amount at the beginning and when it is correct send it all.

Checking the wallet address is not just about the wallet prefix and suffix, but the whole wallet.
Because now many Clipboard malware will infect the Clipboard with different address addresses.
In some unique cases, there are addresses that have the same wallet in the prefix and suffix as experienced by this Member:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5472207.msg63086113#msg63086113
Chilwell

Activity: 574
Merit: 425

The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>PID

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2023, 11:07:50 PM

< >

Of course, you can translate my topic.
You have my permission and I've reserved your language in my list:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Nigeria (Naija)Chilwell (reserved)reserved

My topic "Old, formerly used keys / seeds should always be saved, not disposed" not a very long topic, but in my opinion, it's a very important advice.  Smiley
Good day sir,
I want to let you know that I have translated this topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5396797.msg60015334#msg60015334 to my local board naija, here is the link to my translation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5479424.new#new
Thanks for giving me the opportunity for the translation,

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
1miau (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 6791

Currently not much available - see my websitelink

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2023, 12:32:35 AM

Good day sir,
I want to let you know that I have translated this topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5396797.msg60015334#msg60015334 to my local board naija, here is the link to my translation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5479424.new#new
Thanks for giving me the opportunity for the translation,
Good day, bro  Smiley

I've finally found some time to get your translation approved and it's also added now in my list:

Nigeria (Naija)Chilwell (reserved)Old, formerly used keys / seeds Make we dey always saved am, and not throw away

Well done, as I can see your local board members are already discussing it and are happy to get a reminder about a very important topic.
Because in my opinion, it's not much work to keep our old private keys / seeds etc. but we need to know how important it can be to still have access to it in case we need it again.  Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: