Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:15:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RFC on BitKey, a new secure open source live USB solution we're developing  (Read 3344 times)
liraz (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:14:11 PM

Hi everybody,

We're a week or so away from releasing the first public version of BitKey, an open source live USB key distribution designed to make secure (e.g., offline) Bitcoin transactions easier:

http://bitkey.io/

We'd like to get feedback from anyone who might be interested in using something like this and/or collaborating with us on the development of future versions.

Alon and I usually have our hands full developing TurnKey Linux, but we've been super enthusiastic fans of Bitcoin from early on. After going to our first local Bitcoin meetup we discovered the elephant in the room was that there was no easy way to perform Bitcoin transactions with
adequate security.

People who didn't know enough to be paranoid were making themselves easy targets to Bitcoin stealing malware, browser man-in-the-middle attacks and a whole zoo of attacks that were old school a decade ago, while the more cautious, security-minded folks seemed to be reinventing the wheel and coming up with various cruel and unusual ad-hoc solutions such as booting from a Live Ubuntu CD offline and pointing their browser at a copy of bitaddress to create a simple paper wallet.

We started working on BitKey as soon as we realized we could come up with something better that we would want to use ourselves and that others might be interested as well. So far we and a few other friends in the local Israeli bitcoin community have been the only users of the prototype versions but it's already at a point where it's much more usable than the ad-hoc stuff we were using before.

We just need to sand off a few more rough edges and we'll be ready to go.

Cheers,
Liraz Siri
TurnKey Linux co-founder
shaul

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:11:24 AM

Hi all,

I've tried out an alpha version of Bitkey and think it's a beautiful and long needed open source project.
I'd love to see this project pick up.

We've been seeing so many tech-savvy bitcoin holders use lax security because of the difficulty of using the more secure methods and this live bootable USB created specifically for bitcoin is another step towards lowering the bar on security.

Good luck guys!

Shaul Kfir
Director of Technology,
Bits of Gold
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:16:43 AM

Hi everybody,

We're a week or so away from releasing the first public version of BitKey, an open source live USB key distribution designed to make secure (e.g., offline) Bitcoin transactions easier:

http://bitkey.io/

We'd like to get feedback from anyone who might be interested in using something like this and/or collaborating with us on the development of future versions.

Alon and I usually have our hands full developing TurnKey Linux, but we've been super enthusiastic fans of Bitcoin from early on. After going to our first local Bitcoin meetup we discovered the elephant in the room was that there was no easy way to perform Bitcoin transactions with
adequate security.

People who didn't know enough to be paranoid were making themselves easy targets to Bitcoin stealing malware, browser man-in-the-middle attacks and a whole zoo of attacks that were old school a decade ago, while the more cautious, security-minded folks seemed to be reinventing the wheel and coming up with various cruel and unusual ad-hoc solutions such as booting from a Live Ubuntu CD offline and pointing their browser at a copy of bitaddress to create a simple paper wallet.

We started working on BitKey as soon as we realized we could come up with something better that we would want to use ourselves and that others might be interested as well. So far we and a few other friends in the local Israeli bitcoin community have been the only users of the prototype versions but it's already at a point where it's much more usable than the ad-hoc stuff we were using before.

We just need to sand off a few more rough edges and we'll be ready to go.

Cheers,
Liraz Siri
TurnKey Linux co-founder

Excited to see this project. I would like to support - let me know if you have a donation address to send some coins to.

FreeTrade
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 11:23:09 AM

Excited to see this project. I would like to support - let me know if you have a donation address to send some coins to.

+1

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
liraz (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 11:30:49 PM

FWIW, we released a new version of BitKey today. Changes: fixes Electrum issues, added warpwallet, coinbin & libbitcoin-explorer.
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 04:13:00 AM

Whatever comes off good coders is always worth something.I have never used TurnKey Linux ,quite excited to see that project along with this one.Also thank you for keeping it open source.
Just one question : What role does RFC play here ? Mind elaborating a bit more? Do you have a white paper ? I can fork the repo for building the documentation Wink
liraz (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 10:57:15 AM

Just one question : What role does RFC play here ? Mind elaborating a bit more? Do you have a white paper ? I can fork the repo for building the documentation Wink

I'm not sure I understand your question. RFC = Request For Comments. I originally opened this thread to get feedback from the community on BitKey and how to improve it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: