Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:20:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoiners with Alzheimer's. How do you work it out?  (Read 345 times)
PrivacyG (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1735

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 03:23:02 PM
Merited by Welsh (30), o_e_l_e_o (20), LoyceV (15), BlackHatCoiner (8), NeuroticFish (5), The Cryptovator (5), DdmrDdmr (4), ABCbits (3), EFS (2), examplens (1), davis196 (1), blockman (1), buwaytress (1), Fundamentals Of (1), Rikafip (1), GazetaBitcoin (1), Despairo (1), Z-tight (1)

This is the first and only time I will likely ever talk about my personal life.  If you want to get to the Bitcoin part, please scroll down to the second part of my thread.  Anyway.  I will try to write the story as briefly as I can.

Because I never posted anything like this before, please keep in mind I may not feel comfortable for now replying to questions about this issue I am facing.  Feel free to ask any thing but remember I may not reply to some of your questions.  I do not even know why and how I am posting this.  I never felt comfortable doing it since it involves personal life but now I feel like I should write this thread so here we go.

In the three most recent years of my life, I started realizing something was going on with my mental health.  Initially, I ignored the issues but as the decline continued and became more apparent, it slowly started affecting my life and so I could not simply ignore it any more.

It started with me noticing I could not concentrate on my daily routine any more.  If some of the tasks took a few minutes many years before, they take me up to half an hour now.  If you ask me why, I just do not know.  I just realized common tasks are becoming harder and harder to complete.

Then I realized it was not only about tasks.  I actually had little signs of a mental decline in the past approximately five years, but I did not think it was this serious.  But I found out it was much worse than I expected.  I could not communicate as efficiently any more.  I found myself taking up to a minute to find a word.  I started forgetting where I put my keys and wallet every single day, or I started placing them in uncommon places.  I started missing appointments due to this, because sometimes it takes me up to a few hours to find them.  So I went to a local store and duplicated my keys and made sure I split my money in multiple wallets.  Guess what.  I lost two sets of keys for over a month AND one of my wallets.  One set of keys were attached to my entrance door all this time, the wallet was on my desk.  How in the hell did I never see them, I do not know.  Initially, I thought it was my significant other playing games on me.  Until they started getting mad and irritated on me because every day something was missing.  Either the keys, or the wallet.

I started forgetting the most important events.  Forgetting about dates and time.  I thought money was missing from my wallet, but then I found a bill from the day before which explained the missing money.  And most recently, I started to repeat questions over and over about simple things.  It is like you tell me something and the next second I forget.  So I ask you to repeat, then I forget again.  And so on.

In fact.  This started happening on Bitcoin Talk as well.  I read an information and soon I forget it.  But sometimes it is not like the entire piece is missing from my brain.  It is like someone fragmented it into many pieces and I know something about it, but I do not know enough to remember what it actually was.  Out of my time spent on this forum, I believe over half of it is spent re reading my recent posts and earlier replies of mine in threads because I do not remember what my argument was on a particular subject or whether I even posted in the thread at all.

Of course it becomes increasingly more irritating every time I realize this is going on.  And I try to calm myself down and focus on what is most important, but then I realize it is exactly the most important that I seem to now forget.  My family is very supportive now that they realize what is going on too.  So thanks to all of them.

-----

Anyway.  Recently, I took multiple exams and an MRI which led to the diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer's Disease.  I could say this is life changing, but I am really trying not to.  By the way it looks, many disorders are progressing so much faster when the affected individual knows they have it so my plan is to try to slow it down while not caring much about its existence.  Sort of living with it while finding a way to make it work.

I recently started forgetting about my Cryptocurrency things.  Some passwords and where their backups were, where I put my Hardware Wallet, which disk was my Wallet on and more.  I do not remember what many of my recent transactions were for.  They are even labeled, believe it or not.  So I thought if there was a way to pretty much store everything in a place I can go search in every time I forget something, this may help.  My solution is therefore taking a notepad and writing everything down.  Word by word, with long explanation for every thing written.  Which is really heartbreaking for someone like me who would have never done this before for .. you guessed it, Privacy reasons.  I love this idea of having everything hidden and knowing there is no way some body else can put the pieces of the puzzle together.  But now I have to go against my passion, because this is the situation and I have to accept it and to find a way that works.  And then comes another issue I have to be really realistic about.  If my mental decline will progress significantly within a short time span, I have to make sure my relatives will pick up the pieces of my puzzles and work them out by themselves, without needing me.

So, here I am.  I just started teaching my closest relatives about Cryptocurrencies more than they ever knew before.  Kind of giving them a more in detail course so they know what to know, what to do and what to avoid doing.  I am still thinking about who to give the sensitive information about where my Seed Phrases are stored.  I have a pretty complicated setup, which I now have to unfortunately simplify.

To make sure my Alzheimer's is slowed down as much as possible, I am training my brain every single day.  I chose an exaggeratedly long password for my computer that I want to remember character by character.  I wrote it down somewhere safe too, so in case my brain goes nuts someone else can enter my computer too.  I plan to change this password every month, so I always have something to learn.  I bought myself all sorts of puzzles and brain training games, I started playing some sports and learning new languages and poems.  It is me having fun while trying to prevent or at least slow down the worst.

The saddest part of all of this is that I think I remember either LoyceV or o_e_l_e_o once said on Bitcoin Talk that the human brain should not be trusted because brain damages can occur and you never know when and how it can happen.  Well.  You were very right, and I am unfortunately witnessing it now by myself.  Never trust your brain.  It can play games on you and it is not fun at all.

The most interesting part of all of this is I can remember most of my past with an incredible lucidity.  Sincerely, I can close my eyes and think about my past and I can almost live it again through my own brain.  But the more recent past seems more and more blurry the closer I get to the year 2023.  You would think memory loss is going to affect your entire life's timeline.  The brain is such an interesting and intriguing thing.

But I am convinced I am not the only person with a declining mental health over here who is using Bitcoin.  I definitely do not want to leave Bitcoin, it is part of my fun.  It is part of who I am now.  Privacy as well.  So I will of course continue to be me, but I have to be conscious about the serious decline that I am facing.

So the purpose of this thread was actually to ask other Bitcoiners facing the same issue.  How do you work your brain out?  What kind of behavior are you using to make sure you overcome the difficulties of your mental health declining?  Do you have any tips for me?

-
Regards,
PrivacyG

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 06:02:38 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2023, 06:15:17 PM by franky1
Merited by ABCbits (1)

The most interesting part of all of this is I can remember most of my past with an incredible lucidity.  Sincerely, I can close my eyes and think about my past and I can almost live it again through my own brain.  But the more recent past seems more and more blurry the closer I get to the year 2023.  You would think memory loss is going to affect your entire life's timeline.  The brain is such an interesting and intriguing thing.
best analogy
your hard drive is fine. but your ram is erroring, slowing down your computer

So the purpose of this thread was actually to ask other Bitcoiners facing the same issue.  How do you work your brain out?  What kind of behavior are you using to make sure you overcome the difficulties of your mental health declining?  Do you have any tips for me?

me personally no, but relatives yes
they dont want to seek diagnoses but the signs are there

repeating themselves about recent conversations(few hours-days apart) but able to talk at length and detail about their good old days
(sometimes annoying when you lived with them all your younger life and know all their stories but they are talking to you now as if you are new to them (new friend, new neighbour) who has never heard that story before about when they were young

this is the time where you think about your family too. you may be going through things but they too will be supporting you more. thank them for the little things they help with. dont be so fast to say 'i can do it and you dont need their help'

pride needs to be put aside and accept help where its needed. or atleast dont go full frank, bluntly telling people how things are/should be in the future.. (how i act in personal life is different to how i act on this forum)

if you cant trust 1 relative but trust yourself and 2 others. make a 2-of-3 multisig
where each of you has a key. where by you+one other or them without you can move the value
maybe even have it with 1 key in a Will. (3 of 4) so lawyers cant do anything alone. but neither can family alone

split the funds up into amount in case of:
loss of independence/death(majority). (such as the Will 3-of-4 multisig)
amount for long term use for medical care(medium) (such as family 2-of-3)
obviously (small) amounts for current lifestyle costs, daily living (1 key backed up in a few locations within home)

oh and get used to a journal where you have one reference place to write all thoughts down (memory book)

as for brain training.
dont stick to one game. exercise the brain with MANY different puzzles. try new things (dont just play sudoku all day long)

find creativity aswell, new hobby per month. think of a random subject and try to learn about it. EG the american civil war one month,
frequencies of atom ions and speed of an xray vs light  the next

dont get stuck in the minutiae of repeating the same things each day. for your and your families benefit

you may find you might loose desire/confidence to go new places, or just be out of your comfort zone. but while you can, allow yourself to go out and make new experiences out of the house. give yourself new things to talk about and be different and vary the day
treat your family to a vacation as they will get fewer and far between later. so make the most you can out of life

for benefit of monotony, for you and others.. join different chat groups. chat with different people so that your conversations are not limited to the same dozen people repeating things in an echo chamber.
its annoying for all those involved and causes stress. especially when they hear your story and some of your stories they know are BS but you are unaware(forgot) that they know the true versions. and get annoyed hearing them and having to correct you

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2023, 06:12:41 PM

I read or watch somewhere that post it notes helps a lot. Start writing down everything. And you need to trust your family, and try to explain basic security practices as well.

A password manager is probably helpful, then you only need one password to open it. Don't leave any info only in your brain, write it down.

I think you can also use online search anywhere from a phone/tablet; anything you forget just search it again and write it down (or notes app), the device won't complain Smiley

IIRC this affects short term memory so get into the habit of writing everything down.

Apparently good nutrition, exercise and social life helps. consult your medic for advise.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 06:23:15 PM

if things get real bad
a small voice recorder device clipped to a necklace/lanyard.. where you record messages to yourself
Eg sat down but wanting to kitchen to make a sandwich. you tell yourself out loud that you want to make a sandwich and if when you stand up and walk over to the kitchen but forget what you were going to do in the kitchen you can play the last message to yourself.

because without such. you may (in mind) think you want to make a sandwich but not say it out loud where when in the kitchen having a foggy brain moment, not even your family know what you planned because you didnt say it out loud. which will frustrate you that you and no one else knows why you are in the kitchen.

so say things out loud(so family can remind you) or record it(saves you asking family endlessly about what you had planned or feeling like you shouldnt dare ask them as you dont want them to think your getting worse)

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18512

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 08:28:04 PM

Damn, that really sucks to hear. Wishing you and your family the best for the road ahead.

The saddest part of all of this is that I think I remember either LoyceV or o_e_l_e_o once said on Bitcoin Talk that the human brain should not be trusted because brain damages can occur and you never know when and how it can happen.
I've definitely spoken about that on a number of occasions before. It can affect anyone, at any time, with zero warning, and many people simply think "Well, it won't happen to me."

In terms of your bitcoin, it sounds like you've already realized you can no longer rely on your memory. Not just for complex things like remembering a complex passphrase or remembering the configuration of a multi-sig wallet, but also for simple things like where you wrote down the instructions to recover your back ups. Because of this, your significant other (or other trusted relative) have to become your failsafe. If they don't already know how to access all your wallets, now is the time to inform them.

Alternatively, this might also be a good place to use a timelocked transaction. Have your trusted relative set up their own wallet and give you an address. Create a timelocked transaction sending everything from your cold storage to them, locked to a date one year (for example) in the future. If, in 11 months, you are still in a good place, then spend an input to invalidate that timelocked transaction and create a new one, again locked to some time in the future. If you are not in a good place, let the timelock pass and let the relative take control of your coins.
mendace

Activity: 462
Merit: 616

Pizza Maker 2023 | Bitcoinbeer.events

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2023, 09:31:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your mental health and the diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer's disease. It takes a lot of courage to share your story and I understand that you may not feel comfortable responding to questions about your personal life.

It's important to have a plan in place to manage your cryptocurrency assets in case your mental health deteriorates further. Keeping a detailed notepad is a good idea as it will allow you to have a record of all your passwords, backups, hardware wallets, and transactions. By doing this, you can ensure that your relatives will have the information they need to manage your assets if you're unable to.

It's also important to make sure that your family members understand the basics of cryptocurrencies and how they work so they are able to handle your assets in the future if necessary. It may be a good idea to consult a financial advisor or someone with expertise in cryptocurrencies who can guide you and your family through the process.

Take care of yourself and don't hesitate to reach out for support from loved ones, or seek help from a medical professional if you need it.
Becassine

Activity: 1834
Merit: 780

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2023, 09:34:04 PM

This is the first and only time I will likely ever talk about my personal life.  If you want to get to the Bitcoin part, please scroll down to the second part of my thread.  Anyway.  I will try to write the story as briefly as I can.

Because I never posted anything like this before, please keep in mind I may not feel comfortable for now replying to questions about this issue I am facing.  Feel free to ask any thing but remember I may not reply to some of your questions.  I do not even know why and how I am posting this.  I never felt comfortable doing it since it involves personal life but now I feel like I should write this thread so here we go.

In the three most recent years of my life, I started realizing something was going on with my mental health.  Initially, I ignored the issues but as the decline continued and became more apparent, it slowly started affecting my life and so I could not simply ignore it any more.

It started with me noticing I could not concentrate on my daily routine any more.  If some of the tasks took a few minutes many years before, they take me up to half an hour now.  If you ask me why, I just do not know.  I just realized common tasks are becoming harder and harder to complete.

Then I realized it was not only about tasks.  I actually had little signs of a mental decline in the past approximately five years, but I did not think it was this serious.  But I found out it was much worse than I expected.  I could not communicate as efficiently any more.  I found myself taking up to a minute to find a word.  I started forgetting where I put my keys and wallet every single day, or I started placing them in uncommon places.  I started missing appointments due to this, because sometimes it takes me up to a few hours to find them.  So I went to a local store and duplicated my keys and made sure I split my money in multiple wallets.  Guess what.  I lost two sets of keys for over a month AND one of my wallets.  One set of keys were attached to my entrance door all this time, the wallet was on my desk.  How in the hell did I never see them, I do not know.  Initially, I thought it was my significant other playing games on me.  Until they started getting mad and irritated on me because every day something was missing.  Either the keys, or the wallet.

I started forgetting the most important events.  Forgetting about dates and time.  I thought money was missing from my wallet, but then I found a bill from the day before which explained the missing money.  And most recently, I started to repeat questions over and over about simple things.  It is like you tell me something and the next second I forget.  So I ask you to repeat, then I forget again.  And so on.

In fact.  This started happening on Bitcoin Talk as well.  I read an information and soon I forget it.  But sometimes it is not like the entire piece is missing from my brain.  It is like someone fragmented it into many pieces and I know something about it, but I do not know enough to remember what it actually was.  Out of my time spent on this forum, I believe over half of it is spent re reading my recent posts and earlier replies of mine in threads because I do not remember what my argument was on a particular subject or whether I even posted in the thread at all.

Of course it becomes increasingly more irritating every time I realize this is going on.  And I try to calm myself down and focus on what is most important, but then I realize it is exactly the most important that I seem to now forget.  My family is very supportive now that they realize what is going on too.  So thanks to all of them.

-----

Anyway.  Recently, I took multiple exams and an MRI which led to the diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer's Disease.  I could say this is life changing, but I am really trying not to.  By the way it looks, many disorders are progressing so much faster when the affected individual knows they have it so my plan is to try to slow it down while not caring much about its existence.  Sort of living with it while finding a way to make it work.

I recently started forgetting about my Cryptocurrency things.  Some passwords and where their backups were, where I put my Hardware Wallet, which disk was my Wallet on and more.  I do not remember what many of my recent transactions were for.  They are even labeled, believe it or not.  So I thought if there was a way to pretty much store everything in a place I can go search in every time I forget something, this may help.  My solution is therefore taking a notepad and writing everything down.  Word by word, with long explanation for every thing written.  Which is really heartbreaking for someone like me who would have never done this before for .. you guessed it, Privacy reasons.  I love this idea of having everything hidden and knowing there is no way some body else can put the pieces of the puzzle together.  But now I have to go against my passion, because this is the situation and I have to accept it and to find a way that works.  And then comes another issue I have to be really realistic about.  If my mental decline will progress significantly within a short time span, I have to make sure my relatives will pick up the pieces of my puzzles and work them out by themselves, without needing me.

So, here I am.  I just started teaching my closest relatives about Cryptocurrencies more than they ever knew before.  Kind of giving them a more in detail course so they know what to know, what to do and what to avoid doing.  I am still thinking about who to give the sensitive information about where my Seed Phrases are stored.  I have a pretty complicated setup, which I now have to unfortunately simplify.

To make sure my Alzheimer's is slowed down as much as possible, I am training my brain every single day.  I chose an exaggeratedly long password for my computer that I want to remember character by character.  I wrote it down somewhere safe too, so in case my brain goes nuts someone else can enter my computer too.  I plan to change this password every month, so I always have something to learn.  I bought myself all sorts of puzzles and brain training games, I started playing some sports and learning new languages and poems.  It is me having fun while trying to prevent or at least slow down the worst.

The saddest part of all of this is that I think I remember either LoyceV or o_e_l_e_o once said on Bitcoin Talk that the human brain should not be trusted because brain damages can occur and you never know when and how it can happen.  Well.  You were very right, and I am unfortunately witnessing it now by myself.  Never trust your brain.  It can play games on you and it is not fun at all.

The most interesting part of all of this is I can remember most of my past with an incredible lucidity.  Sincerely, I can close my eyes and think about my past and I can almost live it again through my own brain.  But the more recent past seems more and more blurry the closer I get to the year 2023.  You would think memory loss is going to affect your entire life's timeline.  The brain is such an interesting and intriguing thing.

But I am convinced I am not the only person with a declining mental health over here who is using Bitcoin.  I definitely do not want to leave Bitcoin, it is part of my fun.  It is part of who I am now.  Privacy as well.  So I will of course continue to be me, but I have to be conscious about the serious decline that I am facing.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG

Hello,

I read that the sauna is good against the Alzheimer disease. You can listen to this doctor too : https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/dale-bredesen (don't know if this podcast can help). And : https://www.mpg.de/15335380/international-prize-for-translational-neuroscience

For the informations about your wallets and how to manage them, maybe you could make a video from yourself explaining how it works in case you don't remember. If I were you I would give a name to each wallet, with name you can't forget (from your youth ?)

I wish you a lot of courage.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
PrivacyG (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1735

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 09:59:27 PM

oh and get used to a journal where you have one reference place to write all thoughts down (memory book)

dont get stuck in the minutiae of repeating the same things each day. for your and your families benefit

you may find you might loose desire/confidence to go new places, or just be out of your comfort zone. but while you can, allow yourself to go out and make new experiences out of the house. give yourself new things to talk about and be different and vary the day
treat your family to a vacation as they will get fewer and far between later. so make the most you can out of life
Eg sat down but wanting to kitchen to make a sandwich. you tell yourself out loud that you want to make a sandwich and if when you stand up and walk over to the kitchen but forget what you were going to do in the kitchen you can play the last message to yourself.

because without such. you may (in mind) think you want to make a sandwich but not say it out loud where when in the kitchen having a foggy brain moment, not even your family know what you planned because you didnt say it out loud. which will frustrate you that you and no one else knows why you are in the kitchen.

so say things out loud(so family can remind you) or record it(saves you asking family endlessly about what you had planned or feeling like you shouldnt dare ask them as you dont want them to think your getting worse)
Wow franky, I can actually relate to almost every thing you said.  I do wonder now how bad my condition is since almost every thing you said is already happening in my life.  I do find myself having a foggy brain moment very often every day, and unless some body around me knows what I wanted to do I just can not remember at all.

Memory book!  That is the term I was looking for.  I actually do have a memory book.  I even write down in great detail every step I take with my Cryptocurrency Wallets, because I do tend to sometimes forget the most important part of it.  But I also find myself in a loop of never getting out of my comfort zone and never willing to do new stuff.  Things I did not think of before, but I will change from tomorrow on.  Thank you.  I really hope it does not get so bad that I will have to wear a recorder on my neck.  I have no clue how fast this disease can even progress, and for now I do not really care because I want to focus on less negativity and more productivity.  Maybe I can manage this mental decline better by focusing on fixing it instead of focusing on what could go wrong over the years.

-----

Damn, that really sucks to hear. Wishing you and your family the best for the road ahead.
Thank you o_e_l_e_o, I think my brain is not affecting my life a LOT right now and hopefully it will not get much worse over the years.  I can of course only be grateful for the support I am currently receiving from my relatives.

In terms of your bitcoin, it sounds like you've already realized you can no longer rely on your memory. Not just for complex things like remembering a complex passphrase or remembering the configuration of a multi-sig wallet, but also for simple things like where you wrote down the instructions to recover your back ups. Because of this, your significant other (or other trusted relative) have to become your failsafe. If they don't already know how to access all your wallets, now is the time to inform them.

Alternatively, this might also be a good place to use a timelocked transaction. Have your trusted relative set up their own wallet and give you an address. Create a timelocked transaction sending everything from your cold storage to them, locked to a date one year (for example) in the future. If, in 11 months, you are still in a good place, then spend an input to invalidate that timelocked transaction and create a new one, again locked to some time in the future. If you are not in a good place, let the timelock pass and let the relative take control of your coins.
Very sound advice.  Thank you, will look into this.  Time locking looks like the option I will pick.

-----

I read that the sauna is good against the Alzheimer disease. You can listen to this doctor too : https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/dale-bredesen (don't know if this podcast can help). And : https://www.mpg.de/15335380/international-prize-for-translational-neuroscience
Thank you.  It seems like I will need to get me some relaxing time more often now.  Does not sound bad, actually.  Had some very busy and stressful years so might have needed this anyway.

-----

Thank you for all the support.  As I said above, I think things are not THAT bad yet and I am very hopeful and positive.  From a third perspective maybe things are different though.  My mental status may have an impact on my family and surroundings that I can not comprehend yet since I am living in my own state of mind.

I might post an update every now and then about how things are going.  Thank you all for the suggestions.  I now have new things to look into.  New things to learn, which Alzheimer seems to hate!

-
Regards,
PrivacyG

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 10:23:32 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2023, 02:08:53 AM by franky1

Alzheimers has shown people can live with it for many many decades
what actually shortens life is those that give up.
just wasting away not eating and just sitting in the same chair each day losing weight and muscles and dehydrating due to forgetting the basics
double dosing their meds(forgot they already took them) or forgetting their meds entirely.
vegetating in one spot just sat in a corner watching tv all day speeds up the decline

so other peoples advice about nutrition and hydration along with body-exercises does keep you alive longer. even if you cant remember every second of that longer life

there are people in my region that also have it that were diagnosed decades ago and now in their 90's, still plodding along happy as larry.. their wives might want to kill them(not literally) for repeating their war stories. but they still get along
their secret they said was a morning walk to get the newspaper/milk, an after noon in the garden or doing a sport at the mens club (bowls, golf, snooker, darts) oh and a good laugh.. things that make them or others round them smile or laugh(keeps their wife from suffocating them in their sleep(said with a smile))

if things do get to the stage(long time from now, but always best to prepare or have plans) where family are telling you things like 'its time for your pills' or 'time for breakfast' where you are in one of them moods of "dont tell me what to do"

tell them tips like make up a play list of songs that subtly sing about a certain thing.
that are set up to play during the day
 like breakfast related songs.. as a subtle hint, not coming from family but from music to remind you what time of day it is.
that way it avoids any feeling of family annoying you or you feeling like you need them to tell you..
eg it just so happens that the radio was playing a breakfast song when you yourself realise you should make some toast
oh and also. cooking devices with timers. that cut out after X minutes
steamers instead of saucepans for veg. halogen ovens with timers and airfryers rather then standard ovens and deepfat fryers without timers

im not saying that you should use these or need these things now. but dont be afraid to use tools that keep your independence so you can still make your own breakfasts without needing a carer do it all for you or be present to remind you

Yatsan
Legendary
artcontest

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1231

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 10:33:01 PM

If they are aware that there are lapses on their memory, for sure they'd make an action to cope with it such as putting everything in the notes, having someone to know (depends), recorders and such. This would be risky as well simply because other people could take advantage of these things or there are tendencies for an individual's asset to get stolen but these are already remedies and if things won't work still, then maybe this industry won't be for you. It would be better to be realistic than to push through things. For sure there is a way if there's a will. Not only with people who has alzheimer's but also with other conditions.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
buwaytress
Legendary

Activity: 2800
Merit: 3446

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile
February 12, 2023, 10:48:10 PM

Never specifically referenced Alzheimer but it is certainly one of the things I would consider as sudden loss of access... Something that really does sit on the edge of my thoughts when I think of my bitcoin and inheritance.

Do not have much to make a difference now, but hopefully enough to have an impact in the future for whoever inherits.

But back to you. There was recent buzz about a new drug in some journals. Called lecanemab. Seems to be a big deal. Seems as if people are hopeful they're on to something. I only know because of a small local org I support. You heard of it?

Me, how do I deal with mental health, probably not much. I do worry at times. My last six years especially has not been healthy, socially. I physically have not met many people, owing to circumstance (I am a carer).

Culturally, where I come from, we also don't talk about it. Just soldier on. But we are not living in the same society now. I do believe the mental stresses are different.

Good you talked about it. Now to continue seeking professional and relatable audiences -) Good luck, PG.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
... LIVECASINO.io    Play Live Games with up to 20% cashback!...██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
OcTradism

Activity: 1736
Merit: 806

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2023, 01:47:25 AM

To make sure my Alzheimer's is slowed down as much as possible, I am training my brain every single day.  I chose an exaggeratedly long password for my computer that I want to remember character by character.  I wrote it down somewhere safe too, so in case my brain goes nuts someone else can enter my computer too.
Training your brain is good but I don't like to train my brain with passwords, keys and things that can cause to loss of my fund. I know you make backups but if you change passwords too much, you will have many passwords in backups. It increases probability for mistakes with your backups.

Your approach is like my friend in university. He is used to be a carsick person but he wanted to end this by using bus as his means for transportation to move from his home to university. After a few months, he succeeded to get rid of his carsick syndrome.

I plan to change this password every month, so I always have something to learn.  I bought myself all sorts of puzzles and brain training games, I started playing some sports and learning new languages and poems.  It is me having fun while trying to prevent or at least slow down the worst.
I like how you train your brains with training games and poems but with passwords, I think you should not. It is very risky.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Fundamentals Of

Activity: 2310
Merit: 366

View Profile
February 13, 2023, 02:16:35 AM

I feel sorry for you. But happy that you are not in denial. You accepted the reality and even made steps to somehow cushion its impact, especially in the near future when things get worse. That must be good.

It must be good that you are trying to counter the effects of Alzheimer on you by keeping your brain busy or exercising it. Apart from some changes especially for safety and some extra initiatives for your Bitcoin, nothing radical should be changing. Discussions with family and friends, outing or traveling, reading books, playing games, taking time to concentrate on your hobbies, playing instruments, etc shouldn't at all stop. I guess they will help your brain function as well as possible.

I know you can survive all of this. You seem very positive in the face of this.
uneng

Merit: 778

View Profile
February 13, 2023, 02:32:21 AM

It's in moments like this we conclude life is too short and fragile. I believe the best you can do now is to share your crypto wallets and banking accounts' details with your family, counting with their support from now on, while doing things you always wanted to do and that you think that will be rewarding for you.

Take it easy with yourself. Don't force your brain too much with repetitive exercises. Find in your past good memories the will and energy you need to schedule plans you would like to execute and experience. Maybe things you always wanted to do, but never could. Since you mentioned to have had some very stressful years, I think it's important to revert this as priority.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Despairo

Activity: 1036
Merit: 833

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2023, 03:36:45 AM

Really sad to hear your story @OP, it's not easy for you to accept it especially if you're really care with your privacy and such thing.

After read your story, I think there's nothing wrong to talk and teach my older kids to learn about Bitcoin, so he will have access about my Bitcoin when something bad unexpected happen in the future.

I think you shouldn't logout your account on this forum because you might forget your username and your password, also it's better to access it on your personal PC in your home. I think you can use this thread as your Bitcoin story with Alzeihmer by give an update.
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 914

View Profile
February 13, 2023, 05:59:33 AM

Unfortunately, I can't think of a solution to your problem. Of course, you could try to keep your brain in shape, but Alzheimer's is a serious illness and there's no way to cure yourself completely. You could write everything down on paper, but eventually you will forget about the paper notes.
At some point, you will have to give out your crypto savings to your airs and/or you will have to invest them in serious medical treatment.
People with Alzheimer's aren't capable of running their own finances. This sucks, but there's no way around. Really sad story, man.

Kakmakr
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1957

View Profile
February 13, 2023, 07:27:45 AM

I think the ultimate solution for you will be to surround you with people that you can trust. You might not remember everything anymore, but a spouse or partner will be your support when you need it the most.

I often say, I have "Alzheimer Light" when I forget things, but reading your thread gave me deeper respect for your illness and I think I will stop with that, because it's nothing to joke about.

I hope you can find some friends and family that will be able to support you with your medical condition and your Crypto future.  Wink

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
blockman

Activity: 2912
Merit: 627

Vave.com - Crypto Casino

View Profile
February 13, 2023, 08:44:08 AM

I have that moment every dawn or wee hours when I also remember something from my childhood, as in exactly where we've lived before and it flashes on my mind at exactly 12MN - 3 AM in the morning. I don't know why this happens but I am also forgetting things. Even if someone tells me how exactly we met or did something before, I barely remember it. I don't want to be diagnosed and I don't want to consult any help and I think mine's condition is still manageable. I still remember one of those videos I watched before that the worst condition is when we're forgetting things and mostly our loved ones. I have no tips for you as the tip that I'm about to say was already made by you and that's to label everything. I'm praying that you overcome this and your situation becomes better. Your family and relatives will always be a great help in this condition.

Z-tight

Activity: 854
Merit: 1035

Only BTC

View Profile
February 13, 2023, 11:48:05 AM
Merited by Dunamisx (3), Welsh (1)

This ailment is not so common in my country, though it is generally a rare disease everywhere, but it is something i usually think about, what if my brain fails me someday what will happen to my BTC, because for now only i know my passwords, seed phrase and every encryption that opens any of my funds. I had the idea of sharing things with my significant other in this year 2023, but i am yet to do that for many reasons, i like to be the only one in control of my BTC, but i feel with time i will have to share this control with someone.

Such a sad story, PG, sorry for how you feel. You have to rely on your family in times like this, with them by your side and with trust between the both of you, you will be all right and will also be able to communicate here in the forum for a very long time. It was Yahoo's story first and now yours, this has increased empathy within me, both in real life and in online forums, we don't really know what the next person is going through, so harsh words are so unnecessary.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
uneng

Merit: 778

View Profile
February 13, 2023, 05:57:00 PM

I don't want to be diagnosed and I don't want to consult any help and I think mine's condition is still manageable.
Well, this is a dangerous decision and to say the truth, an egoistical one too, because it's not only about you, but also about close people who will have to take care of you, in emergencies or diseases' situations. They also deserve to know what is going on with you, so they can assist in the best manner as possible, guided and advised by professionals.

There is no reason to avoid seeking for help. There is no shame on it. Each of us will have to seek for help at some moment in our lives. Nobody is self-sufficient and unbeatable. By doing this, you will be showing love and respect for yourself (your welfare) and also for your beloved ones.