Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:10:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Discussion about a Bitcoin Idea  (Read 724 times)
dyland (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

We must become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:19:16 PM

Hi There:

I was reading about one of the challenges of the blockchain, and something really struck me.

If I want to buy a cup of coffee, I don't really need the whole network to verify that transaction. It's a real burden to the network.

Wouldn't a service that verified small BTC transactions instantly for the blockchain and took the whatever small risk on itself for a negligible (fraction of a cent USD to a consumer) fee be pretty useful for all parties (could also be monetized as an ad app), consumers, merchants, and Devs?

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
UberNifty

Activity: 168

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 08:29:52 PM

How would this work in a practical manner?

"Remember, the blockchain is truth..."
ecto

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 08:38:46 PM

you claim that your transaction is a burden on the network, but give no numbers to support your claim.

why is it a burden? cumulative bandwidth of propagating a few hundred bytes around the world? a few milliseconds of computing power per node?

the bitcoin network was designed to verify and propagate transactions. that is what it is for.

what you are proposing is a clearing house. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearing_house_(finance)
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 09:42:14 PM

its not a burden on the network - it was designed for this.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
t3a

Activity: 179

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:01:19 AM

its not a burden on the network - it was designed for this.

No it wasn't, microtransactions have worked out because the network hasn't grown to the point where they don't yet.

Along with that, 0-conf tx's are very risky because they are able to be doublespent trivially (or at least will be when Bitcoin matures).

Advertise here for 10btc/day
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:41:45 AM

If it ever becomes a burden on the network, the easy way out is to raise the value of the minimal transaction, or to request a higher transaction fee. This has been done before.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:53:38 AM

Low-risk (low balance) web wallets will be able to handle small, fast transactions off the main blockchain.

dyland (OP)

Activity: 238

We must become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:57:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Looking forward to more.

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: