Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:37:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rooted Mobile Device  (Read 75 times)
Nwada001 (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 627

View Profile
March 05, 2023, 11:01:46 AM

I am not a programmer or developer, but I take some warnings very seriously, especially when they pertain to where my assets are. I saw this on a friend's phone earlier today, and I asked him how long this had been, and he said a few weeks ago. I advise him to move his funds over to a safer device if he has a mobile wallet on it, and since he is a day trader, he should use his iOS until I figure this out.

How can this rooting be removed from this device? If the phone is flashed and everything is wiped out, will the device be safe again? What amount of damage can a rooted device cause him?
I always believe I will get the best answers here.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
March 05, 2023, 11:08:29 AM

I am not a programmer or developer, but I take some warnings very seriously, especially when they pertain to where my assets are. I saw this on a friend's phone earlier today, and I asked him how long this had been, and he said a few weeks ago. I advise him to move his funds over to a safer device if he has a mobile wallet on it, and since he is a day trader, he should use his iOS until I figure this out.
This means he was playing around with apps. Root access means he can modify the system files. It doesn't mean the device is compromised or that someone is hacking him.

How can this rooting be removed from this device? If the phone is flashed and everything is wiped out, will the device be safe again? What amount of damage can a rooted device cause him?

Either install some of the available unrooting software or do a factory reset. Google android unrooting software and you'll see what I'm talking about.
pawanjain

Activity: 2674
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
March 05, 2023, 01:01:58 PM

I am not a programmer or developer, but I take some warnings very seriously, especially when they pertain to where my assets are. I saw this on a friend's phone earlier today, and I asked him how long this had been, and he said a few weeks ago. I advise him to move his funds over to a safer device if he has a mobile wallet on it, and since he is a day trader, he should use his iOS until I figure this out.

How can this rooting be removed from this device? If the phone is flashed and everything is wiped out, will the device be safe again? What amount of damage can a rooted device cause him?

This warning is shown for many apps as a security measure for devices which are rooted.
This does necessarily mean that your device is comprised but it means that it has a potential risk of being compromised.
You can unroot the device by flashing the stock rom again on device and it will eliminate this risk.
Make sure to format the phone and download the stock rom from official source only.
Use official software to flash the stock rom only then your device will be secured.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1792

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2023, 01:16:38 PM

Did your friend buy a new device, or does he root his phone on his own? Your "a few weeks ago" suggest the latter and if that's the case, I'm pretty sure your friend is aware of the risk. It's kinda wild if he roots his phone but doesn't know anything about something like this. Why did he root his phone? Knowing the reason can probably help him encourage him to unroot his phone if there is an alternative for his needs.

If your friend still wants to use a rooted device for whatever reason, telling him exclusively use his iOS for crypto activities is a good thing. I don't see the point of using two mobile devices anyway unless one of them is used for budget cold storage. Another alternative is to do a multi-boot on his Android device, although this is less secure and probably what I won't do if I have a spare device to use.

Either install some of the available unrooting software or do a factory reset. Google android unrooting software and you'll see what I'm talking about.
AFAIK a factory reset does not remove the root, it will just restore to a fresh install of the system without any modification to the binary partition. At the very least, that's what happen to my Magisk/SU rooted phone with a TWRP recovery. That being said, I'm no longer up to date with Android modification tools, I don't know if there is a new rooting method out there that uses the default factory reset on Android to uninstall their binary. If you're referring to a new method, would be cool if you can share some links here.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
March 05, 2023, 02:26:50 PM

How can this rooting be removed from this device?

Search "<phone-model-name> unroot"

Or, if it is rooted using Magisk, see if there is an app called Magisk, there might be unrooting option available on the application.

If the phone is flashed and everything is wiped out, will the device be safe again?

First, rooting a phone doesn't make it will automatically make the device become insecure. And if it flashed using the official stock ROM, the device would be just like the default again.

What amount of damage can a rooted device cause him?

If your friend rooting it using a popular and legitimate method, there's unlikely to cause damage. If the phone is infiltrated by malware, it increases the chances or effects to cause damage.

Generally, using a mobile phone to keep a cryptocurrency wallet is not recommendable due to how it works and its usage. It has a greater risk compared to the other ways of using a wallet.
Zergal

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2023, 02:30:08 PM

Holding any crypto asset or sensitive information in rooted device is really bad, he need to use another phone.
Ever-young

Activity: 1176
Merit: 165

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2023, 07:55:40 PM

Holding any crypto asset or sensitive information in rooted device is really bad, he need to use another phone.

Its all depends on how the device is rooted, if the rooting is done by his friend without him knowing then it can be said that the phone is still safe.. sometimes this rooting can also be from a third party like where the friend got the device from.. their are companies that gives out phones on credit and for them to be sure that the loan will be paid back at the agreed time they root the device so that they can be able to lock, the device when the buyer fail to comply with his own part of the agreement. This kind of rooting I don't see it to be unsafe.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: