Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:04:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Biden proposed 30% mining tax. what would impact on Bitcoin mining?  (Read 583 times)
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1064
Merit: 370

View Profile
July 05, 2023, 03:10:56 PM

Considering that most countries are turning "green", it's likely PoW mining will be banned in the future. Maybe BTC will change its algo to something better than PoS without compromising decentralization?

and what would that something be exactly? isn't that the problem that there isn't really a good candidate for that? change bitcoin from Proof of Work and it really isn't bitcoin anymore. Because that would require a hard fork for sure.

Quote from: Porfirii
I have witnessed it myself with all miners in Spain (big and small): back in 2017 the tax agency forced all miners to create a company or register as freelancers, which meant that they suddenly had to pay >300€/month regardless of their production just in order to be able to switch on their computer, plus between 25%-50% of their income in taxes every year. If we add the increase in the price of electricity to the equation, they simply killed Bitcoin mining in my country.

whether everyone obeys that new law is a different question though. you seem to think they do but i doubt it.

Quote from: HedgeFx
It is easy to expect that miners (at least the sizable ones) will leave the US in search of new countries with more favorable taxation. Obviously this could involve moving all the equipment to these countries
it depends. how do you move a oil field to another country? answer: you don't. you just pay up. or don't mine bitcoin.

and don't forget, just because you move out of the USA doesn't mean you don't have to pay income taxes to the USA unless you relinquish your American citizenship. that's just how it works. live where you want but you owe uncle Sam his taxes no matter where you live.

Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 06, 2023, 11:01:02 AM

and what would that something be exactly? isn't that the problem that there isn't really a good candidate for that? change bitcoin from Proof of Work and it really isn't bitcoin anymore. Because that would require a hard fork for sure.

There's no really viable alternative for Bitcoin, unfortunately. I was thinking something like a hybrid consensus mechanism (PoW + PoS) similar to what Peercoin is using today, but that wouldn't solve the problem of governments' alleged "high enery consumption". If you take away mining, BTC won't be the same. At least, the US has opened its doors to BTC miners. Tax rates are not that attractive, but that could change in the future as everyone lets their voice be heard. Once all parties (politicians, miners, etc) reach an agreement, the mining industry will flourish in the country.

I hope other countries become flexible in terms of PoW mining, to keep Bitcoin "flowing as usual". Banning PoW because of the "high energy consumption" will only make matters worse in the long run. The world needs pro-crypto government officials to speed up the "hyperbitcoinization" process. If all goes well, BTC may probably replace Fiat in the future. Who knows what will the US and other countries come up next? Just my opinion Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1064
Merit: 370

View Profile
July 07, 2023, 06:12:16 AM

There's no really viable alternative for Bitcoin, unfortunately.

I'm not sure I like the proof of stake idea but maybe proof of hard drive space or proof of RAM maybe something like that could be feasible. thing is, i'm not sure those are totally environmentally friendly either since production of hard drives and memory probably has environmental consequences but maybe less than ASIC mining. but it still wouldn't be bitcoin. but i really don't think anyone is going to be able to stop bitcoin from existing using Proof of Work. that's how it was made and it can't really change from that. not even if a quantum computer appeared tomorrow that could break sha256 bitcoin would just be dead.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: