Full Node VPN+Tor
(1/5) > >>
Bitcoiner2023:
Hello dear bitcoin community.

Do you think it would be better to run the full node over VPN + Tor?

Or can you run the node over the clearnet without fear?

Best regards
BlackHatCoiner:
Depends on which country you live. If it's somewhere where using bitcoin is illegal, then running a node in clearnet is plain dumb. Your Internet provider can figure out you do easily as messages aren't encrypted. In that case, you should just run via Tor.

There aren't lots of disadvantages with Tor. Only speed. If you sync for the first time, it might take a few days to finish syncing. Consider adding onlynet=onion to go full Tor.
seoincorporation:
Quote from: Bitcoiner2023 on March 13, 2023, 03:22:29 PM

Better for what?

It depends on the application that you will give to that node, if you want to use it as your personal node and you will always use it from LAN then I don't think you will need VPN + TOR. But if you will use it as a public node with the idea to access from other networks, then user VPN + TOR could be a wise move.

What's your fear my friend? until now no one has ended up in Jail for running a Node. And If your fear is about cyber-security, then isn't about Node by its serf, the problem is how you manage your network.
dkbit98:

You should never run VPN together with Tor for anything, including for Bitcoin node.
Running BTC node with Tor sergice is used a lot and it works perfectly fine for purpose of hiding your real IP address.

Running Tor, VPN or Bitcoin node can be interpreted as suspicious behavior in some countries, so don't ask other people if you should fear something.

PS
You are asking so many silly questions that I seriously doubt you will ever run full node, make multisig setup, etc...  ::)
Bitcoiner2023:
Quote from: seoincorporation on March 13, 2023, 04:37:12 PM

Better for what?

It depends on the application that you will give to that node, if you want to use it as your personal node and you will always use it from LAN then I don't think you will need VPN + TOR. But if you will use it as a public node with the idea to access from other networks, then user VPN + TOR could be a wise move.

What's your fear my friend? until now no one has ended up in Jail for running a Node. And If your fear is about cyber-security, then isn't about Node by its serf, the problem is how you manage your network.

I wanted to use the node privately via LAN.
VPN router
Tor

My fear is that my IP appears somewhere, I would like to remain as anonymous as possible.

Quote from: dkbit98 on March 13, 2023, 07:16:17 PM

You should never run VPN together with Tor for anything, including for Bitcoin node.
Running BTC node with Tor sergice is used a lot and it works perfectly fine for purpose of hiding your real IP address.

Running Tor, VPN or Bitcoin node can be interpreted as suspicious behavior in some countries, so don't ask other people if you should fear something.

PS
You are asking so many silly questions that I seriously doubt you will ever run full node, make multisig setup, etc...  ::)

why shouldn't you also use VPN as an additional option?

I want to do everything right, these are not silly questions for me, I'd rather ask than make any mistakes later :)
you are not forced to answer, you can just ignore my posts if it annoys you :)
Navigation
Message Index
Next page