Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:23:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Usenet Newsgroups still worth it ?  (Read 34 times)
Len Saldua (OP)

Activity: 245
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 16, 2023, 07:02:56 PM

From time to time I get a subscription offer from EasyNews on my email... I wonder. Are Newsgroups still alive ?
I think Newsgroups were good for the anonymity and speed... two of the things Blockchains are known for. But .... what about
the content ? Well, many of the webpages I used to follow have for some reason , disappeared ! Others are just impossible to find...
google search does not help either, it takes you to fake spam sites that are potentially harmful. So after some months of waiting
and thinking ( my fav site never came back ), I'm almost ready to try Newsgroups again. Full disclosure here, I'm looking for a
specific version of Edius ( Edius 6 ) which is available for free to registered users on the Grass Valley site.  I did register my
details on their site more than 2 weeks ago, never heard back from them ( my registration data needed to be checked and processed )
I did try some free alternatives to Edius which did not work on my laptop, either my GPU was not supported or some other issue.
So I guess Newsgroups are my last resort... if I don't find what I'm looking for, it's only a $5 subscription fee anyway.
Thoughts ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pezroly

Activity: 67
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 19, 2023, 05:10:38 PM

This is already history. Forget any Usenet newsgroups. News you can find either at specific web sites or through search engines.
Len Saldua (OP)

Activity: 245
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 22, 2023, 05:30:57 PM

No man, Newsgroups were never about "News". It's basically anonymous file sharing. Much faster than webpages if you know what you're looking for.
I think I will try it for the reasons I explained in my first post. Webpages sometimes die and never come back, old programs get discontinued, etc.
But it's true that for the most part Newsgroups have been replaced by better ways of sharing content.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: